Strat build

EJD

• Moderators

well ratae said, "And you'll get a finished Allparts body from a forumite for about $190 shipped"

and he knows his stuff. so an unfinished one would be even less than that and you'll be getting a quality product.

Axesrus also have finished swamp ash bodies for 108, but if you want an unfinished body of a high quality Hefners are knocking out 50s and 60s Strta bodies in swamp ash at $119

http://www.bhefner.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I'm going with Allparts :)

I had an AxesRUs body once... Candy Apple Red. The routings were terrible, and it was an awful fit to the pickguard shape. I sent it back. I don't really trust them for bodies anymore :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Small update...

Aye, things are going slowly. But, I decided to say "{censored} it", and just use the Squier body, with a bit of woodwork. I'm thinking of increasing the thickness with a cap/veneer (on the back, most likely - anyone got any ideas on what kind of wood would compliment basswood nicely?), and also turning the swimming-pool routing into SSS.

So from swimming-pool, to this:

allparts_strat_body_sbao.jpg

I know you're all going to be asking why, and generally picking on me about it... but truth is, I don't know why. I know it's going to be hidden underneath the pickguard, and I know there probably won't be any tonal difference, but... I don't know. I'm a perfectionist, and I just want it that way. I've always had this mistrust of swimming pool routes, for some reason :idk:

So, yeah. Should be fun. You're probably going to say "but why go through all that work when you can just save up and buy a new body?". Well, yes, it might be a fair bit of work... but not as much work as saving cash. I'm in a bit of a financial predicament here. And, this way, it's more fun (I love woodwork), plus I can get on with saving for the good stuff - pickups, trem, etc.

And that's how it's gonna be... so if you don't like it, tough titties :D

To be continued...

• Members

you should use a blend knob instead of those fugly switches. You can blend in as much bridge pickup as you want.

You might want to consider doing the bridge tone mod as well

Nah, it's cool. I've got it all planned out.

Also... why would I need to do the bridge tone mod? I'm going for a master volume/master tone setup, so I should have tone control already :confused:

Electronics are all sorted out, mang :thu:

• Members

Update!

I've decided that this project is just getting too much. I don't have another electric, so have been without one for a while now, and it's going to take ages so complete this.

So, I thought... I'm just going to slap the neck on there, and play her as she is, and gradually upgrade her as I go along.

Picshaz.

DSCF1524.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg

I am an advocate of leaving the backplate off. Adds mojo. Also, that skunk stripe is gorgeous. I didn't screw the screws in all the way, since I don't have a neckplate yet.

"But Ethan, you said the Squier's neck pocket was too big for the neck!" I hear you cry. Well, I say... PLAYING CARDS!!!

DSCF1530.jpg

DSCF1531.jpg

The neck now fits like a dream... very tight fit indeed. Far cooler and mojo-ier than any old wood shims :thu:

Plus the finish has already got some mojo of its own going (sorry for blurry first pic :o)

DSCF1528.jpg

DSCF1529.jpg

A little chipping around the neck pocket area, with a little nick in the upper horn. And there's some wear around the edges of the trem cavity, too :cool:

So all I need now are some Stew Mac conversion bushings (I have the tuners), a neckplate, and some strings to get her playable!!! :D

• Members

Looks good. If you want a new strat out of an old strat...my son's strat (that I play and take care of till/if he wants to play) is a squier body too and weight and all else is fine...it's a touch thinner, but that guitar is insane cool, plays and sounds like a custom strat. The only thing squier that is left is the body. The only issue that I have found with the squier stuff is the trem block from a strat is a touch too long and some screw holes for pickguards are no good.
002-30.jpg
That trash can project body is even thinner, but I am not too worried about it.
011-11.jpg

• Members

You know I love that Trashcaster... :D

I touched upon this earlier in the thread. Vintage Clubber had a Strat project going, which was a Squier Bullet, just like mine (but in sunburst). He did mention that the body was a tad thin for the trem, so that worried me.

When you found out about the depth issues, did you fit the trem anyway, and hold it in the playing position? I know it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm worried about it being uncomfortable due to the block digging into my body, or whatever.

As for the pickguard, I'm planning on making it myself... shouldn't be too hard. I would mod the current one, but I'm putting three toggles in and leaving a pot out, so it would look pretty untidy.

Cheers :thu:

• Members
You know I love that Trashcaster...
:D

I touched upon this earlier in the thread. Vintage Clubber had a Strat project going, which was a Squier Bullet, just like mine (but in sunburst). He did mention that the body was a tad thin for the trem, so that worried me.

When you found out about the depth issues, did you fit the trem anyway, and hold it in the playing position? I know it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm worried about it being uncomfortable due to the block digging into
my
body, or whatever.

As for the pickguard, I'm planning on making it myself... shouldn't be too hard. I would mod the current one, but I'm putting three toggles in and leaving a pot out, so it would look pretty untidy.

Cheers
:thu:

On my boy's squier I used teh original block and it's perfect...On the trashcaster it comes out just to the edge of the cavity, I don't think you would be able to tell. I have a grinding wheel in the back, I might grind it down a bit and eliminate the issue, that would still keep me around $50 for the total project cost:thu:

I can't wait to see your pickguard when it's done. For the custom build I am doing I am going to have a lace dually bridge and P90 neck with three on off toggles for each single in the lace and one for the P90, not sure how I will like it but it sounds cool.

Archived