You Want To Make It?

Ralph onion

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, you mean there is still a business that makes records? :eek:

I mean what about the mp3 business, or the CD business? God forbid, the 8 track business. :lol:

Seriously, if I was still a kid, I would be out there doing it. Now it is my son's turn. I just play for the utter enjoyment. I still get offers to join the occasional band, but I really don't have the time. Some things are more important now.

• Members

I have listened to all of the posts in here and alot of it is good. But none of you will make it. This is not a Pro Forum. Alot of you guys act like you are hot {censored} for playing somewhere with somebody but all of your effort and cd's and bull{censored} posters and etc dont mean {censored}. I want to cry thinking of the talent in here who if had major studio backing could make it. But it is not going to happen. There is NOBODY in here who knows anymore about the record busines than I. If you are satisfied where you and your band are now I compliment you. You are being realistic. Challenge me! Most of the music posts in here are lame. I see nothing new and exciting. Yes you are real good guitar players and all of that {censored} but you dont stand out. And alot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time! No offense brothers. So lets keep the egos down at the earth level and know we are rock and roll or blues or jazz lovers and leave it at that. Bitch at me. I can handle it.

dude, like i told you last time... put up or shut up. quit running off at the mouth unless you're ready to go public and prove who you really are. i bet you're that obdami dude from you tube that's alway trash talking people aren't you?

• Members

how about Led Zeppelin? where was Ralph Onions when teh Zep were playing 4 hour shows at the Boston Tea Party on thier first US tour? As JPJ said, "4 hours is a long set since we only had 90 minutes of material...we played everyones set: The Who, the Stones..."

• Members

how about Led Zeppelin? where was Ralph Onions when teh Zep were playing 4 hour shows at the Boston Tea Party on thier first US tour? As JPJ said, "4 hours is a long set since we only had 90 minutes of material...we played everyones set: The Who, the Stones..."

Never heard of them

• Members

I have listened to all of the posts in here and alot of it is good. But none of you will make it. This is not a Pro Forum. Alot of you guys act like you are hot {censored} for playing somewhere with somebody but all of your effort and cd's and bull{censored} posters and etc dont mean {censored}. I want to cry thinking of the talent in here who if had major studio backing could make it. But it is not going to happen. There is NOBODY in here who knows anymore about the record busines than I. If you are satisfied where you and your band are now I compliment you. You are being realistic. Challenge me! Most of the music posts in here are lame. I see nothing new and exciting. Yes you are real good guitar players and all of that {censored} but you dont stand out. And alot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time! No offense brothers. So lets keep the egos down at the earth level and know we are rock and roll or blues or jazz lovers and leave it at that. Bitch at me. I can handle it.

Actually, from reading this and your other rant, I've determined that most of the people in this forum most likely have a much better grasp on the music business today than you. I'm also fairly sure that if you knew where to find good music, you wouldn't recognize it as such, and therefore your opinion on any forumite's art is invalid and useless. Finally, since you haven't stated what you do in the "music business" and haven't posted any of your own music that I've seen, I'm going to assume that this and all future posts from you are utter bull{censored}.

What is "making it" in the business today? Getting your 15 minutes of fame on American Idol? Getting signed to a major today doesn't guarantee success, especially in the long term. {censored}, I certainly wouldn't want to base my entire career on the fickle tastes of the American record buying public. Especially the state the business is in today. I think at this point the grassroots guys who are promoting themselves, recording themselves, and making a following through constant touring, those are the guys that will, in the long term, have a more stable career. They're learning and developing valuable skills beyond their chosen instrument.

I know plenty of pro musicians as well. They don't have music videos on TV, or CD's on the Top Hits rack at Walmart. They play in local cover or wedding bands, teach at the local music stores or schools, play/sing at churches, do recording sessions, write jingles, whatever it takes. Pretty much all of them will have some sort of original "passion project" too, though.

I mean, I work in the music business (concert production), make a good living and support my family. I play guitar in some bands for fun. I'm pretty happy with that. Have I made it? Or do I need more cocaine, hookers and Rolls Royces in my life in order to claim that?

• Members

Who gives a {censored} about "making it"?

I'm in the fortunate position where I can spend pretty much 7 days a week on my music if I want.

I'm happy!

Not that I'm remotely interested in what you think about my playing...who the {censored} are you?

:thu:

• Members

I've found that the most original and creative players (prog, post-something, whatever) are in HCFX and the Drum Forum.

hell, I'd rather be on a small, indie label doing pretty much whatever I want music-wise and have it mean a lot to only hundreds at the most every show than be on a big label,being less free and only meaning a good tune to thousands every night.

I'd rather be like some of the bands I love, for example Tera Melos or Facing New York or Portugal the Man or Kidcrash...

• Members

Most of the music posts in here are lame. I see nothing new and exciting. Yes you are real good guitar players and all of that {censored} but you dont stand out.

Hey man talents like Jonas Brothers and Miley Cirus are rare. And its hard to use autotune like the great talents that gets out of the majors anus. Be easy on us... Please.

• Members

Why don't you just {censored} off and go back to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/ then ?

Archived