Just got an email saying my Soundclick acct was under review

nuke_diver

• Members

Since the only "non original" material I have are the backing tracks from the sticky jams did anyone else get this? I wonder if they are going after some of the backing tracks since some are based off of known songs.

Or is it because I played a riff from a known song and they are down to banning anyone who plays a single note from a well known song :D:idk:

Since the only "non original" material I have are the backing tracks from the sticky jams did anyone else get this? I wonder if they are going after some of the backing tracks since some are based off of known songs.

Or is it because I played a riff from a known song and they are down to banning anyone who plays a single note from a well known song
:D:idk:

I haven't used soundclick in ages but I certainly have enough stuff up there that was played on BT's made up of recognizable music. I haven't heard anything from them.

I know there's all kinds of feelings about the use of "intellectual property". I figure, I haven't made any money on it, never tried to pass it off as mine and use it the same way I would on the street. When I was a kid, we figured out songs and learned how to play them and spent endless hours jamming over them. Without that, I wouldn't be here.

• Members

I haven't used soundclick in ages but I certainly have enough stuff up there that was played on BT's made up of recognizable music. I haven't heard anything from them.

I know there's
all kinds of feelings about the use of "intellectual property".
I figure, I haven't made any money on it, never tried to pass it off as mine and use it the same way I would on the street. When I was a kid, we figured out songs and learned how to play them and spent endless hours jamming over them. Without that, I wouldn't be here.

Powertab website was also closed because of that...

You can download the Powertab editor, but they are banning all sites who offer powertabs for download. It won't be long before you have to pay for them, even though people spend hours and hours making a powertab file of a song. And they don't make money with it either. It actually costs them money to post them on their website...

Like backing tracks, it's for educational purposes, nothing more, nothing less.

• Members

Or is it because I played a riff from a known song and they are down to banning anyone who plays a single note from a well known song
:D:idk:

I played an approximation of an Eagles riff on YouTube and got threatened with account shutdown.

Powertab website was also closed because of that...

You can download the Powertab editor, but they are banning all sites who offer powertabs for download. It won't be long before you have to pay for them, even though people spend hours and hours making a powertab file of a song. And they don't make money with it either. It actually costs them money to post them on their website...

Like backing tracks, it's for educational purposes, nothing more, nothing less.

I fully realize that if they catch me humming a recognizable tune in the street that someday I will have to pay royalties. I just think it's silly.

• Members

MOST of my stuff on my soundclick page are covers. Some played exactly like the original (being what I was aiming for when I recorded them). What happens then? Do they just ask me to remove them or am I in big trouble? :eek:

• Members

Honestly I don't know how they can even tell it's the same song when I play it ;)

I have a feeling it's random...we'll see if I can figure out what the offending track is. Funning thing is I have only 2 more recent ones, one in March when my dog died :cry: which is a true original and my stainless steel vs nickel frets comparison ...which does have a riff from Santeria in it :idk:

• Members

I predict that this sort of crap is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. The old-line record companies and their lawyerly cohorts are desperate for sources of revenue, since they have utterly failed to adapt to the changing market and are still relying on a product/pricing paradigm that became obsolescent a decade ago. If you look at this, the performance tax (a proposal by record companies to charge broadcasters royalties on top of current copyright fees already paid) and other RIAA-sponsored initiatives, it's as if the industry would rather spend its time figuring out how to squeeze the last dime out of a dying market than work on surviving within the new paradigm.

As far as I'm concerned, the recording industry dinosaurs can't die fast enough...

• Members

All the stuff I have on there is from sticky jams and I haven't heard anything yet.

On youtube I certainly have videos where I have recorded with an actual tract from a record. So far they have acknowledged that the material is copy-written, but they have not removed it or ask me to remove it. They usually just flash an advertisement for the recording when the video plays, which is certainly OK with me.

Archived