New SS Frets...and a comparison!

nuke_diver

• Members

I just got my strat back from the luthier with new Stainless Steel frets. When I was researching Stainless Steel I heard a lot of talk about different tone but no one ever could give a A/B. So I did. I used the same track that I made when I did the A/B of the BG V60 :thu: vs the stock MIM pickups and did my best to balance the levels

The tracks are clean only 1st one then the other through all 5 positions...can you tell which is which?

So far the impressions I have are the guitar plays very nicely the work was very good. I do find I notice the edge of the frets now...not sharp just I feel the bump of the fret more on the side of the neck. I'm not sure if that is because they are much higher than they used to be or that the bevel is less than on the Stainless Steel frets because they are harder to work with. Not a problem just different.

And for those who ask why Stainless Steel frets on a MIM strat...because I really like that guitar and now it should last forever :wave:

SS vs Nickel Comparison track

• Members

I appreciate that you took the time to do this, but I have no idea what I'm hearing. I don't know what is A vs B. I hear pretty dramatic differences which sound like different pickups. Sometimes, the tone was much brighter. If that's the frets making that huge difference in sound, then wow!

I have stainless steel frets on one guitar. That guitar has a very different sound, but it's a Parker Nitefly. I suspect the glass/epoxy/resin covered neck has a big affect on the overall sound. So, I can't really say that I know the sound of stainless steel frets.

• Members

There are a set of 5 pickups playing chords then a simple lead with one set of frets and then that same set repeated on the second. So 1-5 Chords 1-5 lead (fret 1) 1-5 chords 1-5 lead (fret 2)

I did it that way because I already had that from the V60 vs stock pickup comparison I did.

You think it would be better to have just 1 sound each ...same pickup position?

• Members

OK well if I'm understanding this correctly than each one of the "first" clips I would say are the new SS. But I only say this because of people online who say SS can be brighter so I'll go with the internet rumors because your clip seems to verify it. Each number 1 clip sounds brighter too me so I'll go with the internet stereotype.

And this also has to take into consideration that you were able to match the entire recording set up to the way you did it a while ago. If you got any of the levels wrong or mic placement is different, then it kind of ruins the experiment.

• Members

If you got any of the levels wrong or mic placement is different, then it kind of ruins the experiment.

I did my best but it has been a few months in between and there is no way to be sure. The levels are close...the second set of clips is a bit louder than the 1st I think...but only a bit. The mic placement should be similar since I have a "standard" placement but it could have moved some

• Members

Thanks for the explanation. Now, I get it. Again, I appreciate the effort, but I'm not sure if this is an effective comparison. I'm going to vote that I can't tell a difference, but it might be partly because of the way it was presented. :idk:

Personally, I love SS frets. If they do change the tone, I think I can deal with it considering the fact that they are so resistant to wear. :thu:

• Members

Well the response was decidedly underwhelming. I got the same number of responses as the guy asking about what racing game he should get :confused::confused::facepalm:

Either its a sign that no one cares about fret material, no one cares about guitars or no ones left :cry:

• Members

I'm not sure if this experiment is valid seeing how much time was spent between fret switch out. {censored}, I can sound different in recordings from day to day.

Regardless, SS frets are the {censored} even though they shred strings.

• Members

I can't hear much of a difference. Perhaps if you edited the track so it would immediately A/B between the fret types before switching to a new pickup position it would be more obvious. The minimal difference in tone is a good thing though. You've found a guitar that works for you and now you've future-proofed it. Congrats on a worthwhile upgrade.

• Members

I think the fact that people are complaining about how valid the test is proves that there's not enough of a difference made by fret material for anybody to really be 100% sure that they actually hear it.

• Members

I've never broken a string at a fret, be it a nickel silver fret, or a stainless steel fret. I play my ss fretted guitar probably as much as I play all my other guitars combined, and the strings last as long on it as they do on any other guitar I own.

• Members
I can't hear much of a difference. Perhaps if you edited the track so it would immediately A/B between the fret types before switching to a new pickup position it would be more obvious.

I'll try that if I have enough time when I get home tonight

The minimal difference in tone is a good thing though.

That's kind of my thinking. At first I thought they were quite bright but then I realized it was only because I hadn't played the strat in 3 weeks and it has always been a lot bright than my other guitars

You've found a guitar that works for you and now you've future-proofed it. Congrats on a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks that was the hope

I can't see why SS would be that much worse for strings. It's not like it's a knife edge so that fact that it is harder shouldn't make strings break easier. I suppose if you don't change strings often :idk:

• 2 weeks later...

I DL'd the file and loaded it into Audacity so I could see each wave form and compare the same events to each other. I've A/B'd back and forth a few times but I honestly couldn't hear much of a difference in tone. What I could see was looked like the first set of clips looked a hair louder than the second set. Might be my old ears can't detect that subtle a change. However if having the SS frets in there guarantees that you'll play a guitar you love longer, then it's a great investment.

• Members
C'mon Nuke, time to spill. I know the SS frets were the second clips.:poke:

LOL I forgot about this since I got so few responses :cop:

Fretmonster (and a few others but not many) you win :thu:

Second clips are SS 1st are my beat up old frets

I see most picked no difference and more picked the first than the second. So unless you have dog ears (fretmonster :poke:) there probably is virtually no difference.

I'm happy I made the decision without this data :D

• Members

Thanks for doing that Nuke, the responses were interesting. To me, the increased brightness and treble were the giveaway.

You know, I have SS Frets in a Washburn Custom Shop P4 and have kind of a love/hate relationship with them. I love them cause they never groove and bend so damn easy - this guitar is my main practice guitar because of that. However, they just don't sound as warm as my bucker guitars - now this is primarily apparent to me when I play clean - no gain or effects. This guitar sounds better overdriven to me. I even have a P290 which is a lower guitar from this Washburn series which is Korean made and it sounds warmer to me.

However, listening to your clips I realized that a Strat is probably the best type of guitar to put SS frets on. Because of the trem effect on tone and the fact that Strats are known for that percussive, jangly tone, it just seems to sound more natural to me. Based on your clips, I liked the sound of your Strat with the SS frets.:thu:

Archived