PRS SE pickup recommendations for coil splitting

Sheraton

• Members

I would get hybrid humbuckers. One coil is would a few thousand more times than the other and when you split it, the coil that is wound with more wire is the one that is still functioning making it (due to the extra windings) closer to a true single coil sound.

-Lindy Fralin does these with the Unbucker.

-JS Moore makes hybrids (tonefordays).

-I am sure that Bryan would also make a set of his with one coil wound heavier for you (BG Pups) - just ask. That's one of the great things about the smaller companies...you can talk to them!

• Members

I would get hybrid humbuckers. One coil is would a few thousand more times than the other and when you split it, the coil that is wound with more wire is the one that is still functioning making it (due to the extra windings) closer to a true single coil sound.

-Lindy Fralin does these with the Unbucker.

-JS Moore makes hybrids (tonefordays).

-I am sure that Bryan would also make a set of his with one coil wound heavier for you (BG Pups) - just ask. That's one of the great things about the smaller companies...you can talk to them!

Interesting suggestion, thanks. I'll look into it.

• Members

Bump. The factory pickups are HFS but not splittable. Any recommendations?

I believe the Custom 24 (not SE) pickups can be split as outlined in this description of the 5 way rotary switch from the guitar:

PRS CE BOLT-ON, STANDARD & CUSTOM ELECTRONICS- 22 Fret - 2 PRS Dragon II Humbuckers

- 24 Fret - PRS HFS Treble Pickup and Vintage Bass Humbuckers

- 5 Position Rotary-Hybrid Pickup System, Master Volume and Tone Control

ROTARY POSITIONS

?Position 10: Treble pickup

?Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel

?Position 8: Series single coils

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi Sheraton,

1rst... the G&B pickups are excellent pickups.

I have made this change from two wires to 4 that you want.

You need:

1- 4 wires shielded thin wire.

The best cable I found is a UBS (small to big) cable,

as it has 4 shielded wires.

Waste one for this. Its cheap...

2- to dismount the pick-ups.

3- heat shrinkable wire (~1,5mm

• Members

When I got my PRS Santana SE, I put in a Duncan Jazz/neck and Duncan Custom Custom/bridge. I installed them both with 3 way mini toggles for series/parallel/single coil switching. It sounded great and the 3 way gives tremendous versatility. I kept it like that for a while until I eventually took out the Jazz to install a Sustainiac.

• Members

_pete_ did the two to four wires on his SE recently. He made a thread about it, too.

Here's his original thread -

Here's where he did it to his SE singlecut -

Thanks for saving me the trouble of finding those threads!

I did it the cheap way by keeping the original leads and adding only one wire. All I wanted was to split the coils so I didn't need to make it a four conductor.

When you open up the SE pup, there's a red wire between the coils. That's the one that will split the coils when grounded out.

So far I'm pretty happy with the stock pups. I originally swapped out the bridge pup but I swapped it back to the stock pup a few days ago.

Archived