Is anyone using JustHost web hosting?

• Members

Even though my web page is just a hobby page, it's time to move up from the network of free hosts I've linked together, and get the real thing. That decision came yesterday, when I tried to upload my latest 4 meg masterpiece, and got a message back that 197k was now the upload limit. JustHost looks like a good deal for a shared host. $3.45 a month (4 year commitment), free domain name, unlimited storage and transfer. Does anyone have experience with them>

• Members

Even though my web page is just a hobby page, it's time to move up from the network of free hosts I've linked together, and get the real thing. That decision came yesterday, when I tried to upload my latest 4 meg masterpiece, and got a message back that 197k was now the upload limit. JustHost looks like a good deal for a shared host. $3.45 a month (4 year commitment), free domain name, unlimited storage and transfer. Does anyone have experience with them>

Jeff, check out Vexx Host.

I've been with them for several years and they've been the best I've used so far and the prices are right, starting at just about $2.50 per month and they have a special going now for unlimited storage, bandwidth and domains for about $4.00 per month. Domain is included if you don't have a registered domain but I don't know if they own the name or if you do when you use the free domain name.

They use Fantastico for installation of various web features, forums CSMs & etc.

I have several registered domains hosted via the one account and several sub domains as well, along with a number of email accounts for family members.

No commitment.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I would not commit to a hosting company for four years. Even if they're great today, you have no idea what they're going to be like down the road.

I committed to one company back in the 90s for a couple years. At first, they were pretty good. Their success, perhaps, caused them to be bought by a larger company who completely hosed them up, downtime went from a fraction of a percent to being hours per week. Then they messed up the mail. There was other stuff. I wrote the head of the company who attempted to mollify me by adding another year on to my account at no charge -- but the service continued to degrade. I finally bailed on them with many months left 'prepaid.'

If all your doing is static page hosting (ie, no server side programming, database access, etc), as I'm sure is the case, there are a number of inexpensive companies you can pay by the month, quarter, or year.

(Database access can be another issue on low-cost, shared hosting accounts; for instance, I've had solid luck putting clients with static sites on GoDaddy or their reseller accounts, the monthly cost is relatively low and the static pages serve quickly. [in my experience, their human customer service has been quite good -- but their own site interface seems to confuse everyone who sees it.] But pages there that require database access, like CMS driven sites like Wordpress, but particularly database-intensive CMS systems like Joomla and Drupal, are not all that quick and, from time to time, slow to a crawl. I'm currently searching for a new host for my Drupal sites, which have become increasingly important to me both for my own online customer service but also as an avenue for future customers.)

• Members

I signed up with Justhosts a few weeks ago and within a day, I saw something that spooked me, don't recall what it was. It was some kind of hidden charge or something. I remember writing them that I wanted to cancel because already, I could not trust them. I went elsewhere. Godaddy has awesome customer service, I will say that. Best I've ever seen with any company of any type. But I use several hosts.

• Members

I signed up with Justhosts a few weeks ago and within a day, I saw something that spooked me, don't recall what it was. It was some kind of hidden charge or something. I remember writing them that I wanted to cancel because already, I could not trust them. I went elsewhere. Godaddy has awesome customer service, I will say that. Best I've ever seen with any company of any type. But I use several hosts.

After signing up, there were some "add-ons" offered for an additional fee (which I didn't take), but there weren't any additional, hidden charges.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

JustHost provides Users with bandwidth, disk space and other resources, such as e-mail, mysql databases, and/or file-transfer-protocol ("FTP") accounts, the amount of which is defined in JustHost's web pages describing the package of Services purchased at the time of purchase. In some cases, JustHost may not establish a specific amount of bandwidth, disk space and other resources, and refer to that as "Unlimited". In all cases, the Services are intended for normal use only, and any activity that results in excessive usage that is inconsistent with normal usage patterns is strictly prohibited. JustHost reserves the right to suspend, discontinue or delete the accounts of Users whose use of disk space, bandwidth or other resources results in or presents the risk of degradation of service to other customers, regardless of the amount of disk space, bandwidth or other resources included in the User's plan.

So , in other words, "unlimited" doesn't mean UNLIMITED.

Archived