How to get a jazz fusion sound???

Misha

• Members

My title is explicit, I want to know how to get a jazz fusion sound.

I mean, what type of pickups, in wich position (neck, midle, bridge)???

What type of guitar?

Which type of amp?

Which effects?

Please, feel free to chime in!

• Members

What type of Jazz-Fusion sound?

Holdsworth?

McLaughlin?

Stern?

Metheny?

Henderson?

Goodsall?

I had in mind this type of sound:

[YOUTUBE]gStp6VjkoUE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]lWUlsF3ZgYw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Now, I need to listen to people you mentioned! :)

• Members

Ah Michel Cusson - he's great. I love Uzeb.

60 Rue Des Lombards off "Live in Europe" is one of my favorites of theirs.

The "Live 90" CD is great too, not a bad note from beginning to end.

Now for fusion sounds...

I'm not sure what Cusson is using for gear except I know he was using Roland hex pickups to trigger external synths.

But his sounds ranged from clean toned guitar with compression, chorus and delay and his lead sound to me sounded Boogie-esque (Probably a Mark IIc sound).

• Members

Ah Michel Cusson - he's great. I love Uzeb.

60 Rue Des Lombards off "Live in Europe" is one of my favorites of theirs.

The "Live 90" CD is great too, not a bad note from beginning to end.

Now for fusion sounds...

I'm not sure what Cusson is using for gear except I know he was using Roland hex pickups to trigger external synths.

But his sounds ranged from clean toned guitar with compression, chorus and delay and his lead sound to me sounded Boogie-esque (Probably a Mark IIc sound).

I saw uzeb live at the Festival de Jazz de Montr

• Members

I know Michel, Alain and Paul. Cusson's sounds are a mix of distorted guitar and synth, he was trying to sound like Beck and Hammer at the same time. His rig has evolved a lotover the years. He's been a Roland endorsee forever. Back in the day it was the GR300 and GR100 (a hex fuzz, pretty much), with lots of Roland processing to boot.

One of his GR300 tricks was to tune one of the pitch oscillators up fifth with a short rise time, and to leave the original pitch mixed in. You would hit a chord and step on the pitch button (unlatched), the result sounded like a brass section.

• Members

Get a guitar with a hybrid p.u. system to get the thing in the first vid. Single in the neck, Single in the middle, and 'bucker in the bridge. Cusson plays mostly 2 'bucker stuff these days. His signal was stereo for a long time with UZEB. But a nice 2 channel tube amp and a nice distortion box would do you just fine. And don't forget some nice reverb, delay and chorus. And your in!

And congrats on going for this stuff....it ain't easy.

• Members

One of his GR300 tricks was to tune one of the pitch oscillators up fifth with a short rise time, and to leave the original pitch mixed in. You would hit a chord and step on the pitch button (unlatched), the result sounded like a brass section.

AHH....that's how he gets that chorusey sthing on his ditorted tone.....cool....

Met Alain briefly at a NAMM once....seemed like a really nice chap....

• Members

I would suggest that most guitars would do the job, the sound your'e after is usually heavily laden with effects.

To get close to the uzeb sound the easiest way would be, heavy on the chorus,(but not scoffield heavy) heavy compression, nice bit of quality reverb, and a light touch of delay. 70%-30% ratio of FX to natural guitar & amp sound.

That should work a treat for the cleans ;)

• Members

Very informative replies! Thank's very much to you all!

I think I will go for a multi-effects unit. I've heard they are good to play at home, at bedroom volume which is what I do. People usually complain about them when they play in a band. They say it's hard to E.Q. a multi-effect unit but since I want something to play at bedroom volume, it should be fine. I already have a good sounding small tube amp (Laney Cub 10).

I just don't know which one I will get... I'm tempted by the TC Electronic Nova Station. I will also consider these:

-Boss GT-10

-Line 6 M9 or M13

-TC Electronic Nova Modulation pedal...

• Members

You can also to go further and experiment with a very nice Tube Pedal like a H@K Tubeman- very versatile-but big $ get one used. 3 channels of clean, crunch, lead.

The old black pedal Tubeman used about 100-150$ is even smoother and can be great for Fusion.

Or a Radial tonebone Classic.

Used Chandler Tube Driver.

Try to listen to these first , may not be necessary but can sound great into a tube amp at very low volumes and will allow various clear gain Fusion tones if you don't max out the gain too much.

There are others as well. Not necessary but you'll be able to dial in lots of tones, warm and smooth or screaming smooth.

• Members

I know Michel, Alain and Paul. Cusson's sounds are a mix of distorted guitar and synth, he was trying to sound like Beck and Hammer at the same time. His rig has evolved a lotover the years. He's been a Roland endorsee forever. Back in the day it was the GR300 and GR100 (a hex fuzz, pretty much), with lots of Roland processing to boot.

I used to have the GR100 hex unit. Now I have a Roland VG-99 which has both the GR-300 and GR-100 units modeled in there. Interesting trick with the 300 for the faux brass. Cool.

• Members

I already have a Radial Tonebone Trimode pedal. I am a fan of tube pedals. I also have an EHX English Muff'n stock (with 2 X 12AY7) and another one that I got used for cheap loaded with 2 X 12AY7. I have two other OD/Dist pedals: a Cool Cat Distortion and a MXR GT-OD. I use another tube pedal, an EHX Black-Finger compressor to shape my tone.

The delay I'm using is a TC Nova Repeater and I have a Holy Grail Nano. I have a Small Clone too but I'm not too fond of it. I will probably sell it.

All these pedals take a lot of space! I got them to get a good sound at bedroom volume but now I'm thinking of getting the Nova-System to add effects and maybe clear up some space!

I've heard good things about the Line 6 M9/M13 but I have to admit that I have a prejudice against them. I'm afraid they might sound awfully digital and won't respond well to the pick attack. I don't want to ruin the responsiveness of my tube gears, hence the interest for the TC products.

• Members

I already have a Radial Tonebone Trimode pedal. I am a fan of tube pedals. I also have an EHX English Muff'n stock (with 2 X 12AY7) and another one that I got used for cheap loaded with 2 X 12AY7. I have two other OD/Dist pedals: a Cool Cat Distortion and a MXR GT-OD. I use another tube pedal, an EHX Black-Finger compressor to shape my tone.

The delay I'm using is a TC Nova Repeater and I have a Holy Grail Nano. I have a Small Clone too but I'm not too fond of it. I will probably sell it.

All these pedals take a lot of space!

In a live context one distortion/overdrive is enough (or you're going to do pedaldance instead of playing)

• Members

In a live context one distortion/overdrive is enough (or you're going to do pedaldance instead of playing)

My favorite pedal is my English Muff'n and often, it's the only one that is connected on my pedal board with a boost, otherwise, it takes too much space.

I read about the M13 and the Nova Station yesterday: they both lack a headphone jack. No amp simulation but at the same time, that's why they sound good.

I would like something to use like a Pod but with the sound quality of the NS or M13... It means I would still need another gadget like ???

Right now I'm staying with my own pedal board... Until I find what suit my needs! (My needs or my GAS... I have to be honest, at least with myself! Waiting for a retroactive pay check after your collective labour agreement just has been signed is a tough journey!) :D

• Members

Buy a cheap guitar. A cheap amp. Turn all tone knobs to 0. No coloration on amp and no pedals and you have it. Or hang out in an elevator and listen to the muzak.

Don't know why I didn't think of that by myself!

Thank's for the tip!

;)

• Members

How do you get a Jazz Fusion sound?

Easy.
Deliberately play wrong notes.
People will think you're a god.

I do that all the time... but not intentionally! And yes, that's easy for me! :confused:

Archived