12 Hour Drive Approaching - Playlist Suggestions?

Padrino

• Members

Check out some Godspeed! You Black Emporer.

If you're not familiar with them, it's an all-instrumental group from Canada that combines traditional rock instruments with string arrangements. Very haunting, with lots of atmospherics, guitar delay/feedback, and loooong songs (10 to 20 minutes).

As weird as this may sound, the music seems to become a real-life soundtrack to whatever you happen to be doing at the time. I've taken many long walks and car trips with GSYBE on the iPod.

They also did the soundtrack to 28 Days Later. If I recall correctly, the director, Danny Boyle, said he actually wrote the screenplay with the concept of it eventally being scored by GSYBE.

• Members

Too much Heavy rock can wear you out. Save it for whan you need to wake up and get the heart pumping then just have a mixed bag of stuff.

When I do Trips from Houston To NJ, I get some of those talking books. They really make time fly and arent so fatiguing. Otherwise, break it up with some radio play, especially when coming into big cities so you can avoid traffic snarls and check for bad weather.

• Members

Too much Heavy rock can wear you out. Save it for whan you need to wake up and get the heart pumping then just have a mixed bag of stuff.

When I do Trips from Houston To NJ, I get some of those talking books. They really make time fly and arent so fatiguing. Otherwise, break it up with some radio play, especially when coming into big cities so you can avoid traffic snarls and check for bad weather.

I would die...books on tape are like nyquil to me.

Keepem comin though, i like what i see so far :)

• Members

If you google carefully you can find links to download a out of print double cd called "Songs We Taught The Detroit Cobras" that is awesome. Same source also has "Songs We Taught The Cramps" and "Songs We Taught The Fuzztones".

• Members

I'm actually going on a 20 hour drive starting tomorrow, so this will help both of us out.

-Fear Before the March of Flames - "The Always Open Mouth"

-Attack in Black - "Marriage"

-Sights and Sounds - "Monolith"

-I Mother Earth - "Blue Green Orange"

-Minus the Bear - "OMNI"

-Foals - "Antidotes"

-Silverchair - "Diorama"

-Mute Math - "Armistice"

-Patrick Watson - "Close to Paradise"

-Said the Whale - "Howe Sounds/Taking Abalonia"

-Terminal - "How the Lonely Keep"

-If you can find it (easiest way would be to buy it), get Sunfold's "Toy Tugboats".

All of these are awesome driving albums. Hope you check em out and enjoy them! If you need any help finding any of them, just let me know mate.

• Members

like original beatles drummer pete best?

Yep. And the album should, IMHO, be given a listen by all who like 1960s "summer of love" psychedelica. It's clearly a deliberate attempt to make a 1960s album, but IMHO it succeeds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GNU262/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1277490287&sr=8-1

http://www.we7.com/#/album/The-Pete-Best-Band/Haymans-Green

• Members

All my CDs are in my car so it wouldn't matter to me but I would probably end up listening to:

The Beatles - Sergeant Peppers

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Television - Marquee Moon

Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia

Ween - Pure Guava

Mahavishnu Orchestar - Birds of Fire

Beck - Mellow Gold

Fugazi - End Hits

Rush - 2112

• Members

I enjoy listening to RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik all the way through. That doesn't so much work for everyone, so I'd suggest taking some sort of live album, those work well for driving.

The song "Take" by John Butler Trio, off the Live at St Gallen album is unbelievable to drive too. Same goes for their song "Betterman" off the same album. both have awesome solos for each instrument. good stuff. actually, just find that entire album, it has some excellent moments.

Archived