I came up with a real question - which Amp sim can do this best?

• Members

I never pay attention to Sunshine of your Love but I do like the stack Marshall sound of the lead at about 2 minutes. Are any of the sims better than others for this sound? Sims all have Marshall emulations but I've never really heard this sound. I owned a Marshall for a year or so in the 70's that could do this really well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZqmF3zS04

Oh and by the way ... did you know that the lead break in Sunshine is essentially " Blue Moon" ??? Clapton did that on purpose. I just found that out this week. I never knew that? Did you know that ?

• Members

The Hughes and Kettner Zentera I'm selling is THE best modeler I've ever used and heard, and my all-time favorite amp. I'm only selling it because of back problems due to herniated discs.

James Peters (amp builder) has praised the amp and the Plexi models in particular.

Years ago I recorded 3 "Marshall" amps to the best of my abilities and posted the 3 samples online, only identified by a letter (a, r, and d IIRC) to eliminate any bias related to brand or price. Pretty much everyone agreed that the best sounding file came from the zenTera.

The other modelers I've used include SasAmp, Behringer, Roland, Line6, Guitar Rig, Waves GTR, and many others. Some are very good. Some are amazing for the price. None has matched the zenTera in terms of both sound and feel.

BTW, I knew about the solo. He also quotes Albert King note for note on Strange Brew, which IIRC was originally recorded as Lawdy Mama, and it was later that they changed the vocals to Strange Brew.

Back when I had my Baker guitars I loved playing Clapton/Bluesbreaker stuff through the zenTera. I pretty much loved playing anything through that amp! :)

• Members

Nowadays you can get a pretty convincing Marshall sound from most amp sims. In particular, I think Amplitube is great for this. However, I'd have no problem tackling this problem with Guitar Rig or even the new Amp Sim that comes with Logic 9. I also have a Boss VG-99 that has a perfectly usable Marshall sim. I think the conventional wisdom is that Clapton used a Marshall with all the controls on 10.

However, I think the bulk of this particular sound is in your guitar and how you play and how you set up the pickup selection. There are pretty detailed articles about the guitar pickup combination that should be used on the net.

• CMS Author

A REAL question? About an amp SIMULATOR?

Isn't tone really a function the guitarist first, then of the amplifier, then of the way it was recorded? I would think that any simulator that comes close to emulating whatever amplifier he was using at the time would be all the help you can hope for. The rest is in your hands and heart.

• Members

I would think that any simulator that comes close to emulating whatever amplifier he was using at the time would be all the help you can hope for. The rest is in your hands and heart.

Come on, Mike, isn't that what he's asking? I'm sure he knows that already!!!

• Members

Nowadays you can get a pretty convincing Marshall sound from most amp sims. In particular, I think Amplitube is great for this. However, I'd have no problem tackling this problem with Guitar Rig or even the new Amp Sim that comes with Logic 9. I also have a Boss VG-99 that has a perfectly usable Marshall sim. I think the conventional wisdom is that Clapton used a Marshall with all the controls on 10.

However, I think the bulk of this particular sound is in your guitar and how you play and how you set up the pickup selection. There are pretty detailed articles about the guitar pickup combination that should be used on the net.

IMHO the Marshall sounds of Guitar Rig, Logic, and Roland, are not that great. This is not to say that they're bad. I've had some fun with them, but when sound quality was important I always used to go back to the zenTera. It just feels more like a real amp, even if I have the speaker at zero volume and record direct.

This is up to Guitar Rig 3 (since I have no desire to upgrade to 4), Logic Pro 9, and Roland VG-88 and Boss GT-10.

In a couple of years I hope to get the Axe-Fx if it is available as a pedalboard by then. Although I have not been thrilled by the sound files I've heard, it seems to be a big step in the right direction.

These days I use the GT-10 and it's more than sufficient to cover most of my needs, plus it's easier to carry than the JCM-800 head and cab I had in the early 90s :)

• Members

I haven't messed around with Sunshine while playing with any modelers but a few months backed I inadvertently concocted a sound very close to Clapton's tone in the song Pretending with the Line 6 POD Farm software.

• Members

Funny you should ask. I was doing some programming with McDSP's Chrome Tone and while messing around, came up with a sound that is EXACTLY like the guitar tone on Disraeli Gears. I wish I could say I tried to do it and figured out exactly how to create the sound, but I just kind a stumbled upon it by accident...I was actually going for something else. Specifically, it's a dead ringer for "Outside Woman Blues." Let me see if I can find an mp3 of it...

• Members

The secret to Claptons sound back then was to use a Dallas Arbeter Rangemaster trebble booster to drive the amp into saturation. Its a difficult sound to emulate with software. You may be better off getting a small tube anp and getting a clone Rangemaster to mimick that tone.

Archived