Fender MIJ Strats from the 90s?

_Dangerbird_

• Members

I am about to get a MIJ Fender Strat. Did they have different models in the 90s?

I looking at a 1994 model with "T" serial from the Fujigen factory. Is just a Standard model or did they have other ones as well?

Do the specs from the MIJ strats differ from MIM/MIA during that time? Concerning neck radius, fret size and stuff like that.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Members

There are MIJ fender strats all up and down the price spectrum. So you really have to find out the model number to know. Usually it will be in the neck pocket and will have a number like ST62 - 70 or ST59 -105...something like that. The first number may be the year it's copying but I'm not sure about that so don't quote me. The second number though is usually corespondent to the original selling price in yen. So the higher that number the better the guitar, and better the features.

You can go here and type in "fender japan" to get an idea of different models and prices used....but keep in mind this is in japan so it will probably be cheaper than if you are outside.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

• Members

There are MIJ fender strats all up and down the price spectrum. So you really have to find out the model number to know. Usually it will be in the neck pocket and will have a number like ST62 - 70 or ST59 -105...something like that. The first number may be the year it's copying but I'm not sure about that so don't quote me. The second number though is usually corespondent to the original selling price in yen. So the higher that number the better the guitar, and better the features.

You can go here and type in "fender japan" to get an idea of different models and prices used....but keep in mind this is in japan so it will probably be cheaper than if you are outside.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

I think that the ST62's relationship to an actual 1962 is more of an "inspired-by" rather than a re-issue. That said, my 1995 MIJ 62-inspired Strat is a wonderful guitar.:)

• Members

As I recall it from my early days of playing guitar, the MIJ reissue guitars were akin to the Classic series from MIM Fender. I.e. the 62 was reasonably accurate, but more generic preCBS sixties than specifically 1962, if you follow. I'm sure I remember them all coming with five way switches (which of course Fender didn't bring in as stock til 77), but that would be a plus to me. They always reviewed incredibly well here in the UK, where the guitar press is generally pretty balanced and unlikely to puff up a dodgy sample or design.

• Members

I am about to get a MIJ Fender Strat. Did they have different models in the 90s?

I looking at a 1994 model with "T" serial from the Fujigen factory. Is just a Standard model or did they have other ones as well?

Do the specs from the MIJ strats differ from MIM/MIA during that time? Concerning neck radius, fret size and stuff like that.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please post a pic when you get a chance!:thu:

• Members

Please post a pic when you get a chance!
:thu:

crappy pic from the bay:

I am pretty sure its a 62 reissue. Owner doesnt know a thing though.. He's explaining that the switch can be used to change the sound, instead of mentioning model or condition of the frets.. :lol:

!BwnGTNQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKm4EvyFnk,T3BMJ1vT)

• Members

crappy pic from the bay:

I am pretty sure its a 62 reissue. Owner doesnt know a thing though.. He's explaining that the switch can be used to change the sound, instead of mentioning model or condition of the frets..
:lol:

!BwnGTNQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKm4EvyFnk,T3BMJ1vT)

Mine is the one on the left. :idk:

pic011505_Strats.jpg

• Members

While we are discussing MIJ strats, I have one that I have been trying to figure out what model it is. I don't have any pics at the moment, here are some specs:

Black sparkle w/black pickguard

Kahler Trem

two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge postition

pretty thin neck

5 way switch

Any ideas? It's my first guitar and was purchased at Sam Ash back in the late eighties early nineties

Thanks!

• Members

While we are discussing MIJ strats, I have one that I have been trying to figure out what model it is. I don't have any pics at the moment, here are some specs:

Black sparkle w/black pickguard

Kahler Trem

two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge postition

pretty thin neck

5 way switch

Any ideas? It's my first guitar and was purchased at Sam Ash back in the late eighties early nineties

Thanks!

Is this a Fender or a Squier.

I used to have a Squier Stagemaster that sounded pretty damn similar to this. And the Fender HMs were vaguely similar, but they said HM in big letters on the headstock and I don't think the HMs had Kahlers... I think they all had licensed Floyds.

I admit I'm a full 80s MIJ Fender and Squier fanboy. I've owned too may of them that were great guitars to be convinced otherwise.

To the OP... I think basically the 57s and 62s were generic reissues... 57s had maple boards, the 62s were rosewood. Other than that, I don't think they specifically attempted to mimic a particular year. But again, I've played a {censored} ton of them and have probably owner ~8 Japanese Fender and maybe 10 Japanese Squiers and every one of them was a fine guitar. Every single one.

• Members

I have a bunch of Fender Japan guitars, some of my best are from the `90s. They did make many models of varying quality in terms of parts and wood, the higher up in the pecking order the better. I have some custom editions from then that are outstanding. FJ does not and never has called their guitars reissues as far as I know, people overseas seem to do that, so if specs don`t match up to the originals one reason may be because shops can order guitars to any specs they want...true they are based on models from certain years and I have never seen original Fenders from the `50s and `60s so I can`t say for sure how they compare but FJ builds guitars for the domestic market. Have a look under the pick guard to see what type of pots and pick-ups the guitar has, check the neck pocket for into...there may or may not be a pencil date on the neck heel, seem some mid `90s with one. If the seller doesn`t want to provide pics personally, I wouldn`t buy it...some FJs were great some were not. Is there a small blue sticker on the back of the headstock?...that number will tell you where the guitar fits.

• Members

Fender released the Foto Flame series from Japan in the '90s.

i.e. a thin piece of photographic film of some very highly figured wood laminated to the guitar. They looked good, but it was basically just a photo.

Having said that, I own a few MIJ strats and they are some of my favourite guitars.

• Members

yes and I have seen more than a couple Foto Flames with cracked Fotos. Some had just the Foto Flame necks other had it applied to both body and neck, other makers did the same thing too. Left my share on shop floors, they never appealed to me.

• Moderators

These days, I'm reluctant to buy MIJ Casters, unless it's from a very knowledgeable seller, there were too many permutations and variations that just working from a serial alone is quite simply not enough.

Alongside that there are many Japanese domestic brands that are way better value for money than their Fender equivalents

This guy runs a great business and sells a lot of cool stuff and seels worldwide, answers emails quickly, know his stuff, and is good to deal with

Has lots of known stuff which sells quickly but lots of unknown gems, I pick out the Casters with Sen bodies

http://www.music-trade.co.jp/StockListOthers.html

• Members

Why?

Most MIJ Casters have vintage radius and frets apart from sone special commissions for people like Ikebe etc

Why? Because i dont like playing necks with that radius, I prefer more modern ones. Feels better to my hands and bending is easier.. just a matter of taste

• Members

Fender released the
Foto Flame
series from Japan in the '90s.

i.e. a thin piece of photographic film of some very highly figured wood laminated to the guitar. They looked good, but it was basically just a photo.

Having said that, I own a few MIJ strats and they are some of my favourite guitars.

for reference, $400 on CL....

DSC07872.JPG

Archived