Fender MIJ Strats from the 90s?

_Dangerbird_

• Members

Take the Necks off, people...That will be the only way to know what model it is.

really? I knew there were some numbers on the heel of the neck but it's been ages since mine even needed a truss rod adjustment I haven't looked lately. Thanks for the tip, and what should I look out for once I have the neck off, I mean, I don't recall it saying "This is a 1985 XXX series squier" or anything, just seemed like numbers and letters the last I looked.

• Members

really? I knew there were some numbers on the heel of the neck but it's been ages since mine even needed a truss rod adjustment I haven't looked lately. Thanks for the tip, and what should I look out for once I have the neck off, I mean, I don't recall it saying "This is a 1985 XXX series squier" or anything, just seemed like numbers and letters the last I looked.

It would probably have as zenbu mentioned, a pencil date on the neck and also maybe a model number stamped into the neck pocket, or pickup cavity. That will tell you the model number.

• Members

look for things like this on FJs...

this is my FJ strat based on a 1954 and retailed for 128,000 yen in 1991

newyears2007165.jpg

this comes from my 72-55 tele...based on a 1972 retailed for 55,000 yen in 1985...

whiteteleII026.jpg

• Members

I picked this up years ago, and it was always odd.

I got it from the original ownere who swore blind that it's never had a neck change, but it's got a re issue body and a standard neck with top truss adjust...nhotice the cutaway in the scratch plate below the neck.

I sent pics to that expert MIJ guy someone mentioned earlier, and he thought it probably came like that...there was a LOT of mixing up of parts at the factory.

Some pics...

car13.jpg

car10.jpg

car7.jpg

car4.jpg

car1.jpg

:thu:

• Members

a few months ago i went to buy a MIJ photoflame w/ floyd rose. It was a japan HRR strat.

It was beat up, the photo flame was peeling far worse than the photo shown above. Floyd was beat to crap. Not worth it IMO, and he had it priced at $200.

I walked. Ended up scoring a MIJ sambora strat 2 weeks later.. must have been an omen.

those photo flames look good but once they crack - the party's over. no chance fixing, have to refin entire guitar.

• Members

a few months ago i went to buy a MIJ photoflame w/ floyd rose. It was a japan HRR strat.

It was beat up, the photo flame was peeling far worse than the photo shown above. Floyd was beat to crap. Not worth it IMO, and he had it priced at $200.

I walked. Ended up scoring a MIJ sambora strat 2 weeks later.. must have been an omen.

those photo flames look good but once they crack - the party's over. no chance fixing, have to refin entire guitar.

$200? the neck alone has gotta be worth close to that if it doesn't need any work. did it have the toneboost electronics?

Archived