Danelectro guitars

Kramerguy

• Members

I must admit, I've been getting into an indie band where the guitarist seems to exclusively use Dano's - and I :love: his tones.

Is a dano like a cheap Ric? I honestly don't know much about them-

Here's a vid-

5bY4KEp2p1g

• Members

They have been refereed to as cheap rics, yes. I lves me some danos though.

well I've always wanted a ric- but they are pricey, do Dano's play well or do they feel cheap?

I looked em up online and don't see any current model over $450.. makes me wonder

• Members

oh yikes. I'm not a fan of heavy {censored}ty wood.

No, no. They're hollow. Plywood and/or masonite tops, backs and sides. Very light. Lipstick pickups. Awesome for primitive electric blues, indie jangle, surf, spaghetti western, country, etc. Hell, Jimmy Page used one for Led Zep stuff. So, they can do a lot of things albeit with their own unique tones.

Oh, yeah. They also make cool baritones as well.

• Members

I bought a 59 reissue.

It looks super cheap in person. It feels pretty cheap. Very toy like, but it actually plays great and sounds pretty good. Definitely a unique sound to the pickups.

This has been my experience as well, though I've run across a couple of Danos that were a little shakey QC-wise (sharp fret ends and finish issues). Pick a nice one and enjoy the ride!

• Members

Danelectro's can be as jangly as a Ric, but it's quite a different beast though - less "precious", more rough and gutsy. Definitly not a toy, but a well-designed guitar, lightweight, easy to play and most of all, very good sounding.

Here's my '59 reissue thru a little Vox AC4:

[YOUTUBE]sVACnpZAh2A[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I saw a picture of a Dano DC and thought that it was the coolest thing I ever saw. I got a 59 DC Reissue shortly after that. The stock PUP's are very low out put. My experience is that it handles up to mediium gain OK. You get into high gain, it sounds kind of - I don't know snarly? I actually have not played mine for several months. I like mine - but I don't think I would pay more than a couple hundred bucks for one.

DC_59_1.JPG

• Members

oh yikes. I'm not a fan of heavy {censored}ty wood.

As mentioned before, Danelectros are hollow guitars made with Masonite. Yes, they're cheap but for some reason the components come together in a really nice guitar that offers a really jangly, acoustic tone but gets nasty when you pour on the fuzz. They're not for shredders but primitive blues guys, garage punks, jingle-janglers and lo-fi noisemakers will find plenty to love in those guitars.

I also have a DC-12 and I love it. It's 3/4 of a Rickenbacker with a nicer neck and less than 1/3 of the price.

• Members

Is a dano like a cheap Ric? I honestly don't know much about them-

If you can, get a older MIK Dano reissue on the cheap, they're heaps of fun to play with.

Although I have no experience with the latest reissue bunch, I've played plenty of MIK Danos and really like how the sparkling single coil sound and light bodies make them very playable. However (though, not to be picky), as an owner of a few Rics I feel that typical "jangle" is more than just a bright sound.

The resonance from the other side of the trapeze bridge and hotter pickups (both toasters and hi-gain, though very different) seems to be what creates the that 60s tone that I'm so fond of, from the Byrds to REM. To me, aside from obvious construction factors, the average Dano chimes more like a late 60s strat than either my Ric 620 or 360-12, the two of which both have more "plunk and oomph", in addition to a penchant for a gentle amount of buzz at the TOM-style bridge, which sounds quite pleasant.

Case in point, years ago I tracked with a 12-string DC59 in the studio and couldn't get over how dead it sounded in mid-position, the low-output lipsticks doing quite well on their own but lacking fullness in the mix...and the engineer couldn't do much to keep things fatter other than some fancy EQ work. I ended up just using the bridge pickup, which was superb at cutting through things like a knife...But certainly didn't fill the gaps as needed. Plus points for the bar magnets being bright, audible, and crystal clean, but pursuit of jangle seemed to stopped there.

The 360-12 (with hi-gain p'ups) has been so different. The response in mid-position is so sweet, you get the best of both pickups without sounding flubby or muddy. Other than what naturally results from heavy pick attack, neither the inherent highs or lows seem to hit the threshold of comps I use (usually Pedalworx McSqueze, Janglebox, or Moollon Compressor) in a harsh or overwhelming way, yielding a really balanced sound that blends with the aforementioned factors to create what sounds like "jangle" in my head. Subjective, but I can't deny that the difference is quite audible.

Don't get me wrong. I love both types of guitars, but the Danos I played came across as having a much brighter and clean-cutting sound, whereas the average Ric seems to be naturally "full-and-fat" while delivering the shimmer.

• Members

Hell, Jimmy Page used one for Led Zep stuff.

Yeah, personally, I feel as though it's the iconic Dano tone.

[YOUTUBE]ODidAgdL40Y[/YOUTUBE]

I had a Dano Pro that I loved. And I now have a '59 reissue. Just upgraded all the electronics and it feels like a much more expensive guitar than it is.

IMG_0029.jpg

• Members

IMO, not really. I've had Danos, and Rics (my present Ric is a 360). Danos can sort of do shades of a Ric sound, but not exactly cop it. Rics have more midrange and bass soundwise. While the newer Danos have hotter pickups, they still aren't as hot as a Ric Hi-Gain single coil, or a Ric humbucker. But that being said, Danos will get you in the neighborhood for the clean Ric sound. For the overdriven Ric sound - nah, I don't think so. It sounds too snarly.

• Members

Thats not a Dano in that video- at least that I can tell....

It looks like a deadon or hornet, but not much like the reissues-

I'm thinking it's heavily modded. If you look them up, you will see he's pretty exclusive, or I really suck at ID'ing danos lol, quite possible.

• Members

thanks for all the feedback everyone, I like the hornets and the 59 reissue models, gotta try them out methinks, I'm really digging the tones right now, and none of my Kramer/gibson/fender wanna-be's come close to that shimmer and punch..

Now.. gotta find some money.. anyone want to buy a marshall half-stack?...

Archived