Meteor Show(er) Alert

• Members

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20013554-501465.html

Your Last, Best Chance to View 2010's Perseid Meteor Shower

NASA astronomers say at least 80 meteors per hour will be visible during the peak display.

I may have to walk down to the beach and try to get some pictures.

Here's a picture that I shot during this shower a few years ago. Orion survived....

115877901.jpg

• Members

I went out to a vacant area of the desert in southern Kern County/northern LA County some 88 miles north of Los Angeles on Wednesday night with 7 other friends. We stopped by the side of the road and just hung out there, looking at the stars. We caught quite a few, though there were periods of no meteors. The funny thing seeing it with a group is that you'll always have a percentage of the group go, "Ooooh!" at the sight of a meteor and the other members of the group will turn their heads and say, "Where?!?!" and will obviously miss it by the time they head about it.

• Members

I'm just leaving for Joshua Tree (out in the desert) to photograph this light show later this evening!!

Please post some pix if you got any. The one that I landed was shot with an old Nikon Coolpix 990 3 MPixel camera. The thing would get terribly noisy above a one second exposure. The shot posted was about 1 second and just a lucky shot in that the meteor shot across the sky as I opened the shutter. My current camera would work much better. ;)

• Members

Me & my girlfriend went out and laid on the deck last night for a half hour or so - - we saw 10 or 15. Some were subtle, some were pretty bright. The milly way was looking great!

LOL, I read this as:

"Me & my girlfriend went out and got laid on the deck last night for a half hour or so"

• Members

Caught a couple, nothing bright. Real humid and foggy. Had trouble focusing with lens dewing over. Saw about 60-70. Cool lightening happening in the distance. Also got some shots of the triple conjunction of Venus, Mars and Saturn and a cool sun shot

DSC_0068copy.jpg

DSC_0071copy.jpg

DSC_0209copy.jpg

DSC_0327copy.jpg

• Members

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20013554-501465.html

Your Last, Best Chance to View 2010's Perseid Meteor Shower

I may have to walk down to the beach and try to get some pictures.

Here's a picture that I shot during this shower a few years ago. Orion survived....

115877901.jpg

Caught one last year near Orion and Venus at dawn......both survived:lol:

Perseid.jpg

• Members

Please post some pix if you got any. The one that I landed was shot with an old Nikon Coolpix 990 3 MPixel camera. The thing would get terribly noisy above a one second exposure. The shot posted was about 1 second and just a lucky shot in that the meteor shot across the sky as I opened the shutter. My current camera would work much better.
;)

I got back from JT not long ago. I got some gorgeous shots, although only one captured a meteor. I got shots of star trails and sunsets and clean air and peace and quiet, definitely worth the trip!

This LA Times photographer (link) had two cameras with 14mm wide-angle lens, which cover much more sky than my 27mm-equivalent lens and only got four shots of the meteors in 130 shots.

I got one shot of the meteors with only one camera with a lens covering much less sky, so I should consider myself fortunate!

• Members

I went out to a vacant area of the desert in southern Kern County/northern LA County some 88 miles north of Los Angeles on Wednesday night with 7 other friends. We stopped by the side of the road and just hung out there, looking at the stars. We caught quite a few, though there were periods of no meteors. The funny thing seeing it with a group is that you'll always have a percentage of the group go, "Ooooh!" at the sight of a meteor and the other members of the group will turn their heads and say, "Where?!?!" and will obviously miss it by the time they head about it.

A lot of them, you see out of the corner of your eye, too, so you catch only half of it. But some of them on Friday night/Saturday early morning were spectacular, while many were small. Not a lot of them, but I really didn't care. I had a great time, and got some beautiful shots. And wow, I could really use some more sleep!!! :D

• Members

So as I promised Richard King, here are the photos that i took when I went out to the desert in Joshua Tree on Friday to take photos of the Perseid meteor shower. I had a fantastic time really, just taking it all in under the star canopy. So quiet, nothing but crickets, so magical.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/joshuatree2010meteorsstartrails/

I have a bunch of geeky gear information as well as just describing what I did and what I thought. I few friends contacted me and asked me to write down what settings and equipment I used, so I've done that.

I tried a few things, being a novice to night photography. One was, of course, getting the meteors. But also, I took some long exposures to capture the star trails. And I also did some painting with light!! So fun!!!

• Members

Some great shots there, Ken, even the "meteorless" ones. It's like another world out in the desert. I did a cross country trip in 2004 where I spent a bit of time in southern Utah. I couldn't believe the beauty and wish I had many more days that I allotted myself. Even though I started the subject, I never got out to chase shooting stars. :( It used to be that whenever we had a thunderstorm here I would be out with my camera mounted to a tripod taking lightning pix. Here's my gallery of a few of them: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/lightning&page=all

Archived