2010's best music (so far):

acousticDave

• Members

Looking at the jazz listing:

Metheny's Orchestrion....big Metheny fan here but what I've heard from this album, well it's the first thing he's done in a long time that I flat don't like. The percussion sounds flat and uninteresting. While his band has this drummer - Antonio Sanchez - who just blows my wig off every time. Hey Pat - use the real drummer next time.

Mehldau keeps doing very interesting stuff - I'll have to check out this latest one.

The others are all new to me. Got some listening work to do here to find out what they're all up to.

Not too many jazz fans on this board, huh?

The White Whale

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While "Infinite Arms" is my least favorite of their albums, I wouldn't classify it as a complete disappointment. It's grown on me a bit with repeated listenings. It definitely doesn't rock out like their others though.

There are some other good ones on the list, and some I'll have to take a listen to. Vampire Weekend's Contra is a great album as is the new Black Keys. I haven't heard the new Gorillaz album, I'll have to check it out, I guess.

Oh, and Doc J, if you listened to a little more NPR, you might know that "shudder" is the involuntary negative bodily reaction. "Shutter" is something that goes on either side of a window.

• Members

How appropriate that you've made the common 4th-grade error of substituting the possessive form of "you" for the contraction form of "you are."

I should probably thank you for both proving and illustrating my point.

I think you need to get over yourself just a teeny, tinsy, winsy, tiny, itty, little, bitty bit? YMMV. :poke:

• Members

Is Contra from 2010? I thought it was 2009. I'd definitely put it high up on the list.

I'd also add MGMT's Congratulations. It's a fabulous album IMO, much better than their first.

I guess so, it's on the list. This year is going by pretty quickly for me.

I'll have to check out "Congratulations". I keep hearing it's a better album than their previous stuff. I have a hard time taking them seriously. Ben used to be my intern, and he didn't even take what they were doing seriously.

• Members

Anyone here heard of Electric Boogie? Horrible name, but got a solid review on the Onion's AV Club (I like a lot of the kind of stuff they review, so I check it out weekly). Just bought on iTunes, and while jam bands aren't really my kind of thing there is some great dueling guitar stuff going on. I'm really liking it. Just released yesterday, so not on any best of lists yet.

Good stuff.

• Members

This thread was fun.

The namecalling pretty much killed it.

EG

It prompted me to put Oldskool on Ignore (second person to make it on the list). She uses 'skool' in her username then feels the need to rip someone for typing your instead of you're. :facepalm:

The real world needs an ignore list.

Back on topic. I'm hoping to go through and listen to some of these. So far I haven't found anything worthwhile in new music threads. Hope that changes.

• Members

I'm hoping to go through and listen to some of these. So far I haven't found anything worthwhile in new music threads. Hope that changes.

Nope, not changing. I think I'll go find that Gene Simmons cover of When You Wish Upon a Star 'cause that was better than this.......

Still hoping for some new, great music but not finding much.

Edit: Well, maybe that's harsher than it should have been. Listened to about 8 songs on their list and nothing struck as something I would ever crave to listen to again. Bummer.

• Members

It prompted me to put Oldskool on Ignore (second person to make it on the list).

Oh, darn. Now I won't be able to trade barbs with Miss "teeny, tinsy, winsy, tiny, itty, little, bitty." Whatever will I do? :rolleyes:

Maybe if DoucheJeffery didn't feel the need to spew his political bile all over every thread, people like me wouldn't feel the need to set him and his ilk straight.

• Members

:facepalm:
THe only thing I saw was someone saying they didn't like NPR. You're the one who went all political.

EG

Look. It's widely known that DJ routinely interjects his anti-government/conservative/teaparty sentiments into many of his posts lately. His "taxpayer" comment regarding NPR was just another example, albeit more subtle than usual.

But since responding to his political sputterings apparently makes me the bad guy here, I'll apologize to all for my role in escalating the rhetoric.

That said, I guess I'm not the only one who dislikes him, as the following exchange illustrates. Please note your own contribution:

DA: "Doc Jeffrey can kiss both sides of my ass. I cant STAND that {censored}er. In fact, he is the only one on that whole site I feel that way about too. And Im not talkiong behind his back, because I will say it to his face hole too."

P_: "the Doc will be the first on my ignore list. I've truly had all I can take from that pompous asshole."

SC: "man his condescension just gets at me a bit"

EG: "I had an exchange with Doc too. :facepalm:"

HIR: "lots of DocJeff hate around here. i never put much creedence in the guy. "

PW: "Hey EG, I just saw you and DocJeffrey go at it over at the other place"

• Members

It was definitely DocJeff. I think he must be off his meds.

I don't recall him spitting venom until somewhat recently.

Maybe something happened during the 2.0 fiasco that set him off. He used to post a lot of vids of his cool gear sounding great. I always dug his posts.

Since 2.0 every other post has been :rolleyes:

I was trying to get things back on topic, but I guess it's dead. No more good music sharing this year.:cop:

• Members

Well apparently ignore isn't working (but maybe only in this thread IDK). If there is history with DocJef then so be it. Your comment seemed over critical of a little mistake but again if there is history....

At any rate, The Soft Pack vid is much better than anything else from the OP. Maybe there is some hope. I'm still craving plenty more good, new music.

P.S. Their singer reminds me of Quentin Tarantino for some reason.

Archived