Best White Falcon on the cheap?

The Rossness

• Members

I'm looking to get a tone similar to a Gretsch White Falcon, but I want to do it cheaply. What would be the best cheapo (under $500) Gretsch to get? No matter what guitar it was, swap out the PU's for better ones. any suggestions?

Forget it.

• Members

Get a used Gretsch 5122 and swap in some Filtertrons. That's about as close as you're gonna get. The difficulty is there just isn't much out there in that price range with a 17" body of the proper thickness and a 25.5" scale. All kind of important elements to the Falcon sound.

• Members

+1

Lookswise, and sort of soundwise, your closest bet is the 5122. It may not be the right color, but it has a shape close to the double cutaway White Falcon. If you want the single cut version in white - there are a few white 5120s out there, but it'll take some patience to find them, since they are not being made in that color anymore, and not many were made. Realize that the 5120, and 5122 are 24.75" scale guitars. So they won't have the snap to their sound, that the White Falcon, with its 25.5" scale has. Also nothing sounds like filtertron, other than a filtertron. The GFS Retrotrons are sort of in the ballpark (and are a popular retrofit for cash strapped Gretschies), but they are not the same as a filtertron. TV Jones nail the sound, but be prepared to spend like $130 per pickup. If you're willing to scrounge, you can sometimes pick up used Hi-Sensitivity filtertrons (the Gretsch sourced OEM pickup) for quite a bit cheaper than TV Jones, but many players say the TV Jones sound better.

Another thing to tell you (and I can vouch for this from first hand experience). Realize that a filtertron is NOT like a PAF-style humbucker. It's VERY underwound by comparison. It was designed for twang and clarity. It can crunch and snarl with the best of them, but that's with the gain really jacked. You can get higher output TV Jones versions (the TV Classic Plus, Powertron, and Powertron Plus come to mind), and they do up the grind and growl factor, but they aren't like (for example) a Bareknuckle Warpig. I'm just bringing this up, because, many players who try out a filtertron equipped guitar for the first time, often end up being underwhelmed by pickups. Personally I prefer dynasonics equipped Gretsches, due to them being punchier sounding. Realize that White Falcons also have also come loaded with dynasonic pickups.

• Members

You can get stock Gretsch Hi-Sens Filtertrons on ebay. For $105 shipped you can buy the pair from this guy. If you play with moderate to high gain, you'll not notice a lot of difference between them and TV Jones Classics, IMHO. You need to fashion hillbilly mounts to get them in a humbucker ring, but it's not hard or expensive to do.

And if you think Filtertrons are low output (and they are), you should check out a vintage Hi-Lo Tron. A whopping 3k impedance typically!:D But there's a chime and clarity (even with lots of gain) that you get with that low output that nothing else will do.

• Members

Peerless Gigmaster Custom

29_0l.jpg

The Peerless factory has built guitars for Gretsch and for Peavey. Here's the well-regarded Peavey Rockingham. (I do not know if there is a white model.)

Peavey_Rockingham_01.jpg

I don't know if Peerless makes (made?) the Jay Turser Colonel 140, but I lean toward thinking that it does/did, because some Carlos Robelli models were manufactured by Peerless. Reviews for the Turser Colonel are very favorable:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Jay+Turser/JT-140+Colonel+Hollow+Body/10/1

jt-140-wh.jpg

• Members

I would vote Peerless (or any of that factory's product) too, or the Gretsch 5xxx series (providing you're not a lefty... I think the recently released Tim Armstrong sig model is the first southpaw Gretsch have released in its affordable line).

• Members

Peerless Gigmaster Custom

29_0l.jpg

The Peerless factory has built guitars for Gretsch and for Peavey. Here's the well-regarded Peavey Rockingham. (I do not know if there is a white model.)

Peavey_Rockingham_01.jpg

I don't know if Peerless makes (made?) the Jay Turser Colonel 140, but I lean toward thinking that it does/did, because some Carlos Robelli models were manufactured by Peerless. Reviews for the Turser Colonel are very favorable:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Jay+Turser/JT-140+Colonel+Hollow+Body/10/1

jt-140-wh.jpg

Yeah, I don't need it to be white. Actually I think the coolest looking gretsch is the Irish Falcon (geen and gold).

I played a new Epi Emperor swingster today and thought it got close sound wise.

• Members

What about (Chinese-made) Arbor guitars like this one?

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Arbor/AJ140+Gretsch+Style/10/1

http://www.arborguitars.net/guitars-cat.cfm?CategoryID=3

They are dirt cheap and have drawn pretty favorable reviews. One is currently offered in my town for under $200. I'm tempted to appease the Gods of Rockabilly and make an impulse buy.

Archived