Hughes & Kettner amps someone???

Misha

• Members

We don't hear a lot about this brand.

I got a Tube Edition 25th anniversary last week and I love it!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-&-Kettner-25th-Anniversary-Edition-Tube-20W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=620517

If I plug my guitar in it: too bad, I'm unavailable to this world for the next few hours! This is my best amp to date - most expensive too - 750$ CAD! (I know there are better amps out there and more expensive ones, but I really like this one!)

I unplugged a couple of pedals since I got it and put my delay in the effects loop (first time of my life I have an amp with an effects loop too!)

I'm surprised at how good it is at low volume. It's even possible to get gain at low volume and the cleans are cristal clear! The clean channel is great, clean channel + MXR GT-OD = Fun! Clean channel + English Muff'n = Fun! Clean channel + Radial Tonebone Trimode = Fun!! The second channel is nice too and sounds different from all of my pedals!

The amp takes pedals well, by the way and respect the character of my guitars!

The amp is not dead silent - unlike my Laney Cub 10 - but it's very tolerable. It's on par with most other tube amps.

I like this amp much, much better better than the Blues Jr that I've had before! Well worth the extra $$ IMO!

I play often late at night. I play in the spare room, put the amp on the bed - to absorb the bass and save me some fights with the neighbors - and sit next to it! It's all fun!!

When my stomach is empty, I go out of there: otherwise, I stay tuned! :D

Anybody else who has one? What are your thoughts about it?

• Members

I had the Edition Tube 20th (virtually the same amp; different color ;)) a couple of years ago when MF blew them out cheap ($319 was it???), and I agree with everything Misha posted - a GREAT amp :thu:. I sold it off in a fit of GAS :(

Although I just got a slightly-blemmed Egnater Rebel 30 for cheap, I would not hesitate to get an Edition Tube 20th/25th again :thu:

• Members

I had the Edition Tube 20th (virtually the same amp; different color
;)
) a couple of years ago when MF blew them out cheap ($319 was it???), and I agree with everything Misha posted - a GREAT amp
:thu:
. I sold it off in a fit of GAS
:(

Although I just got a slightly-blemmed Egnater Rebel 30 for cheap, I would not hesitate to get an Edition Tube 20th/25th again
:thu:

Wow what a deal!!! :eek:

We never get those deals around here!

Enjoy the Egnater Rebel 30! (I would like it too!)

:wave:

• Members

Been playing H&K for years. I started way back with a warp 7 and vortex...to some combo amps...eventually to the Tube 50 and a Triamp. Great versatile amps. One of my favorite 4-12 cabs I have used for years is an H&K loaded with Rockdriver Celestions.

Good tones mak-a the world go round :thu:

• Members

I have a Tube 20th Edition that M123 was blowing out a couple years ago. Looks like yours but a different color. I think it's really close to a Fender sound on the clean channel. The gain channel on mine I think never worked right, but the price was right so I kept it.

I use it at low volume also in the bedroom and it takes pedals nice, I go direct through the front rather than the FX loop. Seems to sound better to me.

The only thing I wonder a bit about on these is venting. It's a closed back with a small gap on the bottom, not great for evacuating heat. It's held up though I've never really had it cranked up for an extended period.

• Members

I have a Tube 20th Edition that M123 was blowing out a couple years ago. Looks like yours but a different color. I think it's really close to a Fender sound on the clean channel. The gain channel on mine I
think
never worked right, but the price was right so I kept it.

I use it at low volume also in the bedroom and it takes pedals nice, I go direct through the front rather than the FX loop. Seems to sound better to me.

The only thing I wonder a bit about on these is venting. It's a closed back with a small gap on the
bottom
, not great for evacuating heat. It's held up though I've never really had it cranked up for an extended period.

You had an incredible deal!!

You were never tempted to show it to a tech and have it fixed??? I love the gain channel! It makes the amp so versatile!

For now, no issue with heat but I didn't push it either!

The only thing that is in the loop is a TC Nova Repeater and a Danelectro Fish & Chips and it sounds good. I run my Cool Cat Vibe and my Cool Cat Trem in front of the amp.

I have a credit in store and I'm thinking of using it for a TC Nova Modulator... I'm not sure yet because I've read that it causes volume drops...

• Members

I've had two H&K Anniversary Tube 20's for a few years now... they are NOT for sale. I bought the first one, then had to have the other one from the store in case they stopped making them, I would have a spare. I've never had the first breakdown, but I still like having a spare of anything I depend on.

Now my main squeeze is Goodsell Super 17 Mk II's... but the H&K's - I won't turn loose of them. The Anniversary Tube 20's are very special amps. Btw, I use the clean channel only and use a Vox TubeTone as my boost effect. I have never liked channel switchers. I'd rather goose the preamp section of what amp I use than to switch channels. That's just my preference. Channel switchers are harder for me.

• Members

I would love to own a switchblade head but they are just a little too expensive for me.

Max

i've got a H&K switchblade 2x12 combo..............absolutly love it!

tried a triamp at a jam i attended and dear god that thing was awsome

they make great amps for sure

• Members

I've had two H&K Anniversary Tube 20's for a few years now... they are NOT for sale. I bought the first one, then had to have the other one from the store in case they stopped making them, I would have a spare. I've never had the first breakdown, but I still like having a spare of anything I depend on.

Now my main squeeze is Goodsell Super 17 Mk II's... but the H&K's - I won't turn loose of them. The Anniversary Tube 20's are very special amps. Btw, I use the clean channel only and use a Vox TubeTone as my boost effect. I have never liked channel switchers. I'd rather goose the preamp section of what amp I use than to switch channels. That's just my preference. Channel switchers are harder for me.

Two of your amps in stereo and it must sound swweeet!!! :cool:

I look at the Goodsell Super 17 MK II, it looks nice too! As for the Vox TubeTone, I didn't know about it. Iguess you are talking about something like this: http://www.zikinf.com/materiel/vox-v810-valve-tone,4115 ???

• Members

Like some others here, I have the 20th anniversary addition. It is just superb. If I had to choose just one amp in that power range, that would be the one. Both the gain channel and clean channel get a lot of use on mine. To give it more treble I run the speaker out into a little open back cab with a Celestion G12H 30W in it. The way these are set up, the stock speaker and the out are both on together. Its heaven - the lows from the stock and the G12H just make it perfect.

You are going to love having this amp!

Congrats.

• Members

Like some others here, I have the 20th anniversary addition. It is just superb. If I had to choose just one amp in that power range, that would be the one. Both the gain channel and clean channel get a lot of use on mine. To give it more treble I run the speaker out into a little open back cab with a Celestion G12H 30W in it. The way these are set up, the stock speaker and the out are both on together. Its heaven - the lows from the stock and the G12H just make it perfect.

You are going to love having this amp!

Congrats.

Thank's A-20!

Until now, I've used both channels equally! It's so practical to get a great sound without needing pedals! It's justplug and play!

I have yet to grab a "Y" cable to use both the H&K and my Laney Cub 10 at the same time. Or maybe I can do it with a stereo pedal even if I just use it for the connectors... I'll report when I'll try it! :idea:

• Members

Thank's A-20!

Until now, I've used both channels equally! It's so practical to get a great sound without needing pedals! It's justplug and play!

I have yet to grab a "Y" cable to use both the H&K and my Laney Cub 10 at the same time. Or maybe I can do it with a stereo pedal even if I just use it for the connectors... I'll report when I'll try it!
:idea:

Yeah - in the 20'th addition the internal speaker is still on when you use the speaker out. So they are both on with a regular cord. Have fun!

• Members

My zenTera has been my favorite amp for years. In fact, it's my all time favorite amp, and I've had it longer than all o my tube amps, including a JCM-800 that I had in the early 90s.

Unfortunately I have to sell it, but I LOVE that amp. When I saw Rush some years ago Lifeson had 2 zenTera amps and another H&K amp.

• Members

Thank's for your replies, with all the H&K amps you named, you made me discover Thomas Blug!

In this video he is playing a H&K ZenTera. (Killer SS amp!!!)

[YOUTUBE]sXhWil4bOJE[/YOUTUBE]

I will definitely listen to him again in the future!!

Edit: Vintage created a Strat similar to his well-used faded Olympic White

• Members

Thank's for your replies, with all the H&K amps you named, you made me discover Thomas Blug!

In this video he is playing a H&K ZenTera. (Killer SS amp!!!)...

Thomas was a big part in the zenTera's development. He provided not only his vintage amp collection to serve as models for some of the amps, but also a player's perspective. Perhaps that's why the zenTera actually responds like a nice tube amp.

Unfortunately, the videos don't do the amp any justice. IIRC, I actually did not like the sound in any of Blug's zenTera videos. I posted about this a long time ago and another zenTera user (maybe _pete_ ?) agreed with me. These amps sound MUCH better than what you hear in the videos.

When I bought mine, the music store owner bought one for himself. Another person who had a music store here in Southern California that sells (or sold) boutique amps and gear also bought one zenTera for himself.

Not a zenTera, but two guitar MONSTERS:

[YOUTUBE]uWcewKFZvjA[/YOUTUBE]

Archived