Carvin's new 24 fret CTs.

kherman

• Members

I'm not being touchy, I'm being thorough.. You needed an education in the history of arch top super strats and now you have one. Thank me later =)

You didn't educate me on {censored} boy. Its your OPINION that those ESPs/Kramers look like the Carvin(and you're wrong, cuz they don't......the Carvin looks like a PRS more than anything......you can't see that you're either blind or stupid) Get some {censored}ing glasses and get back to me.......

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You didn't educate me on {censored} boy. Its your OPINION that those ESPs/Kramers look like the Carvin(and you're wrong, cuz they don't......the Carvin looks like a PRS more than anything......you can't see that you're either blind or stupid) Get some {censored}ing glasses and get back to me.......

You are right that ravencad is a stupid bitch! He shows pictures of guitars that are more similar to a strat or les paul than the carvin we are talking about. But then again he must be 12 years old to post such stupidity.

• Members

Have you ever held a CT? I'v got one 5 feet from me and I can tell you that the design has a lot more in common with a strat style than a PRS. Visually it's a lot like a PRS, but structurally it's not even close.

Now shut up, you are ruining a Carvin worship thread and I just won't tolerate that.. :rolleyes:

• Members
Have you ever held a CT? I'v got one 5 feet from me and I can tell you that the design has a lot more in common with a strat style than a PRS. Visually it's a lot like a PRS, but structurally it's not even close.

Now shut up, you are ruining a Carvin worship thread and I just won't tolerate that..
:rolleyes:

Shut the HELL UP CARVIN FAN BOY! And go back to your make believe world of guitars that do not even look like the CT!

Yeah and structurally the PRS eats it's lunch.

• Members

You are the one that is an idiot! Get over yourself!

You do not even want to acknowledge the FACT PRS guitars HAVE been making new models over the years which shows your ignorance on this subject. I named only three.

As far as your request...FENDER....VG Strat....Gibson.....Les paul HD 6x pro.

Again stupid, check your facts before shooting off your mouth!

The VG Strat is the best you can come up with? It's a strat with new electronics. Try harder.. Same goes for the Les Paul whatever model ya call it.. It's still a Les Paul! Is it too much to ask that a company try to at least innovate once every 20 years? I'm not gonna knock Gibson and Fender for sticking with what works, cuz they know what they're doing. I just like a company that doesn't rest on its laurels like that. I feel the same way about Martin, Guild and a bunch of other classic companies..

• Members

The VG Strat is the best you can come up with? It's a strat with new electronics. Try harder.. Same goes for the Les Paul whatever model ya call it.. It's still a Les Paul! Is it too much to ask that a company try to at least innovate once every 20 years? I'm not gonna knock Gibson and Fender for sticking with what works, cuz they know what they're doing. I just like a company that doesn't rest on its laurels like that. I feel the same way about Martin, Guild and a bunch of other classic companies..

No I am not going to post anything more because you are an idiot that could not understand that I already showed you models from all three companies and all YOU want to do is run your stupid mouth!

I DID show you a guitar from every company you posted saying they did not come out with anything new in a few years, if that is not enough, go screw yourself!

I already made my case and backed it up with proof. All you have done is run your mouth. Put up or shut the hell up!

• Members

Sure. Aside from the headstock, set neck, humbuckers, and PRS-style body it's just like a strat.

'Visually it's a lot like a PRS'? Contradict yourself much?

• Members

Who gives a {censored} what it most resembles....

ravencad apparently. I simply stated I thought it copied PRS and he goes on some stupid rant about how superior carvin guitars are to anything else and how they don't even look like a PRS but a strat.

That is a "fail" in my opinion.

And if you don't like the discussion, why the hell are you bothering to post?

• Members

Shut the HELL UP CARVIN FAN BOY! And go back to your make believe world of guitars that do not even look like the CT!

Yeah and structurally the PRS eats it's lunch.

i own a carvin and a prs right now. I'd never part with my PRS Mira, but the Carvin eats its lunch. Period.

The neck is more playable, the frets are stainless steel, the pickups... well i'd say PRS and Carvin both make great pickups with room for improvements.

Fact is the set-up and feel of the Carvin is just 100 times better than a PRS or any other guitar I've played. It was the same with my last carvin (which i sold out of a sudden dislike for Floyds).

They know how to make a better guitar than anything I've seen from PRS apart from in looks (IMO, PRS has the best looking guitar line-up around).

Like I said, my PRS Mira is still one of my favorite guitars but the fact is, next time I have the money to blow on either brand, I'll pick Carvin. Every time, in fact.

• Members

Fact is the set-up and feel of the Carvin is just 100 times better than a PRS or any other guitar I've played. It was the same with my last carvin (which i sold out of a sudden dislike for Floyds).

Again nothing but your opinion, not a fact!

And if the carvins are all that and more as you claim, why is the resale on the CT and other carvins lower than most PRS?

Most people would not agree with you.

• Members

While I prefer 22 frets this will make some people happy. I've heard a lot of crying for this option. However, I believe most of the people that swore they would buy a CT if it were 24 frets will now find something else to whine about.

• Members

While I prefer 22 frets this will make some people happy. I've heard a lot of crying for this option. However, I believe most of the people that swore they would buy a CT if it were 24 frets will now find something else to whine about.

Whats to whine about though? Nearly every option is covered by one company, and the build quality is at least as good as the big 3. I couldn't really imagine being disappointed with a new, made to order Carvin.....there are some great pics over on their forum.

• Members
You can have whatever you want.. Doesn't make you less of an idiot though. Sure, PRS has had a few minor models, but their cash cows are still the 22 and 24, just like Gibson's cash cow is the Les Paul and Fender's is the Strat.. I love tradition, and I understand why they still sell so many units, but I also like progress. Show me the most recent, modern design that Gibson or Fender put out? PRS isn't SO bad, but they're still rather conservative..

I wouldn't exactly view these Carvin models as "innovative". :idk:

Innovation isn't making the same kinda {censored} just in a different shape. Innovation in guitars IMO is something like the old Steinberger stuff, or the Parker Fly. :idk:

• Members
I wouldn't exactly view these Carvin models as "innovative".
:idk:

Innovation isn't making the same kinda {censored} just in a different shape. Innovation in guitars IMO is something like the old Steinberger stuff, or the Parker Fly.
:idk:

Right. That being said, there's not a whole lot of innovation needed anyway.

• Members
Right. That being said, there's not a whole lot of innovation needed anyway.

Well that depends on how you look at it. If you're perfectly happy with more traditional designs then fine. But if you decided your music really needed you to be able to bend entire chords to a different pitch, you'd probably like the Transtrem. Or there's the innovation of using alternative materials or construction methods to make more stable instruments, or different sounding instruments. Maybe you want to play fretless guitar. Maybe you want to play fretless guitar but can never get enough sustain from the damn thing (i.e. goodbye bank balance, hello Vigier). Or whatever...

It's not like innovation has to mean that the guitar is changed entirely and becomes some kind of bizarre synth contraption that's triggered by detecting facial movements or something. Lots of people are perfectly happy with traditional designs. But there are people who want something different, and there are people out there making these different instruments/hardware/whatever. :idk:

• Members

Whats to whine about though? Nearly every option is covered by one company, and the build quality is at least as good as the big 3. I couldn't really imagine being disappointed with a new, made to order Carvin.....there are some great pics over on their forum.

People whine because Carvin won't build something entirely custom for them. Just goes with the job I guess. They have a cookie cutter menu set up and they won't deviate from it. It's fairly comprehensive, but sometimes there is an option they just don't offer (like a piezo bridge on a CT.. That held me back on my CT purchase for a few years..)

But yes, I've been disappointed on a build before. I bought a DC400 that was sposta be blueburst with DTS quilt.. Well the guitar came and it was......... black. Only when taking a photo with the flash or shining a light on it could you see the blue. It was a great guitar, but it was way too dark. So I called em and back went the $1400 guitar I'd waited 2-3 months for, just because I didn't like the color, without any hesitation on their end.

Hey golfcart, I'm going to assume you've never held a Carvin.. Am I right? You non-believers are all alike. Go play a CT and you'll understand why I say it's very, very un-PRS and very, very super strat. The body shape is nothing like a stubby little PRS..

• Members
Go play a CT and you'll understand why I say it's very, very un-PRS and very, very super strat. The body shape is nothing like a stubby little PRS..

And if you look at the two, the Carvin is actually an "offset" double cutaway.
Where as the PRS is actually an "onset" (for lack of a better term).
Meaning the depth off the lower cutaway on the Carvin is "not" even with the depth of the upper cutaway. :thu:
Where as the PRS cutaway depths are even.

As for the person who said a Carvin guitar can't be a PRS killer because it has lower resale.
Well, then I guess that means neither can Hamer USA, Parker USA, Heritage, McNaught, Suhr, McInturff, Etc,,,
All of which make excellent quality high end guitars.
But, for some reason, don't hold their resale like the "big three".

Personally, all the companies mentioned make great guitars.
And really, the only thing that makes one a "killer" over the next, is ones own personal preferences.

For me, I would prefer the CT over the PRS for the reason I mentioned earlier.
The CT's lower cutaway is deeper than a PRS.
It makes a huge difference for me.
And access to the upper frets is important to me.
For someone else, it may not.

• Members

well, one of the reasons that carvin has low resale is due to its custom or 'custom' power. not everyone would like the dragon or lizard burst. not everyone would like a birds eye maple fret board. not everyone would like a stainless steel fret etc...

PRS sells more in terms of retail coz a) its not a factory direct, which means, more people can pick it up from a store, which means, more artists can pick it up from a store, which means more people would buy the instrument. and b) because PRS spent millions in advertising their guitar, claiming they are offering something right between a strat and a les paul so their customers dont have to choose between the two.

carvins marketing scheme is almost a 'word of mouth' thing. so it never became a house hold name like PRS, even if they roughly share the same time frame in terms of making electric guitars and such. sure, carvin may have a slight edge in terms of there being guitars as early as 1980 made by carvin. but even then.

• Members

Yeah, Carvin's business model has good and bad points, from the perspective of both the company and the customer. As a customer, you get enormous bang for your buck, and a boatload of custom options, in addition to the impressively wide selection of models to apply them to. But you don't get a famous logo, and you don't get great resale value.

As a company, Carvin has to deal directly with the customers, without the buffer of the retail channel to deal with irate people -- which there are sure to be plenty of given the sheer number of available options. Sheesh, people even send instruments back because the blue finish is the wrong shade!

Because every instrument must be ordered specifically, usually followed by a fairly long wait (2-3 months typically), Carvin simply cannot get the "Oh wow, I gotta have this!" reaction that comes with picking one up at GC and trying it out. Plunking down up to $2500 for a guitar and then waiting months to see if you like the feel or the sound is a leap into the dark not enough people are willing to take for Carvin ever to be a major market player - even if the extensive customization permitted that.

Sure, their designs stick pretty close to industry standards - they make the LP design, the strat and superstrat designs, the V design, the ES335 design, a tele-style design, and so on. Who can say whether the CT "feels" like a PRS when Carvin offers options for neck thickness, fretboard radius, overall balance, and a long list of pickup choices. If there is anything that can be said generally about Carvin guitars, it's that the finish and workmanship is almost invariably topnotch. You will never be stuck with a lemon (though loike GCDEF you may end up with no Carvin and bad feelings. Mail order is like that, I suppose.)

I received an SH575 about 8 or 9 months ago. Since then, I haven't had the slightest desire to even look at another guitar. A strange feeling for someone who had been steadily accumulating them for years...

Archived