Carvin's new 24 fret CTs.

kherman

• Members

OK, for the record, Carvin has a return period if you're not fully satisfied. You don't need any particular reason, just send it back. If you have a valid reason that can be corrected, they'll correct it and try again. I admit I've heard no other reports of Carvin lemons, and not yet a valid reason for keeping one.

But I also admit I'm another fan, still amazed at the quality and playability (and sound!) of the Carvin I received over 8 months ago. Even if it only has 22 frets.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, for the record, Carvin has a return period if you're not fully satisfied. You don't need any particular reason, just send it back. If you have a valid reason that can be corrected, they'll correct it and try again. I admit I've heard no other reports of Carvin lemons, and not yet a valid reason for keeping one.

But I also admit I'm another fan, still amazed at the quality and playability (and sound!) of the Carvin I received over 8 months ago. Even if it only has 22 frets.

In GCDEF's defense, his problems were with the electronics and they developed after the 10 day trial was over. I'm not sure how long after, but I know he was out of the 10 days. However, based on my own experience with customer service, in paticular with a guy named Bart, I'm 100% confident that if I ever have an issue, they'll fix it.

• Members

The Mesa Boogie shop on Sunset Bl in Hollywood used to have a bunch of Carvins in stock. I don't think the shop is there anymore:-(

The Mesa Boogie store is still on Sunset right across from Guitar Center. Carvin is also a few doors down from Mesa Boogie. The Mesa Boogie store doesnt carry any carvin guitars but they do have some nice Tom Anderson, Nash and other brands.

• Members

In GCDEF's defense, his problems were with the electronics and they developed after the 10 day trial was over. I'm not sure how long after, but I know he was out of the 10 days. However, based on my own experience with customer service, in paticular with a guy named Bart, I'm 100% confident that if I ever have an issue, they'll fix it.

I did eventually send it back and they replaced all the electronics. By that time though I'd been so soured on the whole experience, I sold it without ever plugging it in again. I've had good and bad experience with Carvin service, but they did what they could to help me out with the last guitar I had.

I don't want to make this thread about me though. The new models look really nice. I prefer 24 frets myself, so I can see how they'd be a welcome addition.

• Members

I like to give GCDEF grief over his, shall we say, low opinion of Carvin, but I believe him when he relates it. Carvin's customer service record is really hit or miss, and it totally depends on who answers the phone. Myself, I only dealt with Bart when I had problems. The one time I went "Bartless", it was this guy (Salvador? Something like that) and he was utterly useless to me..

To GC, I'd like to say that while I INTEND my jabs at you to be good natured, that doesn't always come across with typed words. Please, PLEASE, don't ever take me too seriously.. I know I sure don't... It's all meant in fun.

• Members

I have a Carvin Sh-550 and have had a Holdsworth in the past...

Customer service has not always been the company's strong suit. They've improved quite a bit over the years, however.

Now, the guitars that I've received...have been phenomenal. If anything sucks about them, then it's the player!

These are really high quality instruments.

• Members

To GC, I'd like to say that while I INTEND my jabs at you to be good natured, that doesn't always come across with typed words. Please, PLEASE, don't ever take me too seriously.. I know I sure don't... It's all meant in fun.

I know, but it gets really annoying, especially when you misstate my position or experiences, or turn a thread such as this one, which has nothing to do with Carvin quality or people's experiences with Carvin into a cesspool of bickering between you and me. I think it would be in the best interests of the forum to give it a rest.

I don't mind some good-natured goofing around, but you're one of quite a few people that have taken my Carvin experiences and turned them into some kind of personal vendetta. I don't piss on people's HNGD threads, I don't start anti-Carvin threads, and I don't come into Carvin threads unless they're about a specific question I can answer, or in the case of this one, people bring me into it. I gave Carvin my money and wanted to be happy - twice. The problems I experienced weren't my fault and all I do is objectively discuss them if somebody asks.

• Members

As I said in the PM, you take this stuff WAY too seriously.. Chill out and get over yourself. :rolleyes:

The only mention of you that I saw was made by someone that knew you'd be along to throw a wet blanket on the thread any minute.. Will you lookie there? They were right.. You get mentioned because you are predictable. Everyone knows I'm gonna be here, wearing my Carvin cheerleader outfit (lol, now there is a visual!) and everyone knows you'll be here "objectively discussing" how bad Carvin treated you. Same posts, every time.. We get it, you don't like Carvin, it's cool man, really! But don't get your panties in a knot just because people give you a hard time over it. I don't get mad when people make fun of my over zealous devotion to Carvin. I'm fine with it. Be who you are and take what goes with it. And above all else, just relax and stop being so serious.. This place is sposta be entertaining. Jeez..

• Members
As I said in the PM, you take this stuff WAY too seriously.. Chill out and get over yourself.
:rolleyes:

I've asked you 100 times to please ignore me. Moderators have asked you to ignore me. Please... Ignore me. Don't talk to me. Don't respond to my posts. Don't mention me in threads. Pretend I don't exist. The forum will be a better place for it.

• Members

I've asked you 100 times to please ignore me. Moderators have asked you to ignore me. Please... Ignore me. Don't talk to me. Don't respond to my posts. Don't mention me in threads. Pretend I don't exist. The forum will be a better place for it.

lol... you realize you could do the same to him? It is far easier to control yourself than others....

• Members

I wasn't the one that mentioned you, Mr. Self Centered.. :rolleyes:

My best advice: If you decide to open your mouth, then be prepared for whatever someone sticks in it. You want to be a private citizen? Then shut up and don't post, that way no one can pick on you. Again, you take this WAY too seriously. :facepalm:

Besides, I had you on ignore once.. People kept quoting you (cuz you tend to talk, a lot..) so it rendered the ignore useless.. Sorry, I'd love to ignore you, but it just doesn't work..

• Members

I did eventually send it back and they replaced all the electronics. By that time though I'd been so soured on the whole experience, I sold it without ever plugging it in again. I've had good and bad experience with Carvin service, but they did what they could to help me out with the last guitar I had.

I get the strong feeling I just didn't come in at the beginning. I bought a Taylor T5 that had to be worked on three times in the first six months before it played right. I also had an Ibanez S2170 with a bridge pickup that died after a little over a year, and I had to buy a new pickup after two attempts to fix it proved temporary (but cost money to try).

And yet, I haven't come to the conclusion that either Taylor or Ibanez builds poor products, and I certainly tried both instruments out after the last (successful) fix, and I'm happy with both of them. Maybe I just don't sour so easily? I don't feel it would be particularly useful to chime in to each Taylor or Ibanez thread to complain that I had temporary problems with them. But perhaps I might, if the people I dealt with in both cases hadn't been easy to work with despite seeing the same instrument with the same problem multiple times (indicating they didn't do it right last time).

On the other hand, I did have to fight a serious battle with Gibson, who I believe stonewalled me and operated in bad faith generally, and turned what could have been a simple transaction into a nightmare. So yeah, if Carvin treated you like Gibson treated me, I'd steer clear as well.

• Members

I get the strong feeling I just didn't come in at the beginning. I bought a Taylor T5 that had to be worked on three times in the first six months before it played right. I also had an Ibanez S2170 with a bridge pickup that died after a little over a year, and I had to buy a new pickup after two attempts to fix it proved temporary (but cost money to try).

And yet, I haven't come to the conclusion that either Taylor or Ibanez builds poor products, and I certainly tried both instruments out after the last (successful) fix, and I'm happy with both of them. Maybe I just don't sour so easily? I don't feel it would be particularly useful to chime in to each Taylor or Ibanez thread to complain that I had temporary problems with them. But perhaps I might, if the people I dealt with in both cases hadn't been easy to work with despite seeing the same instrument with the same problem multiple times (indicating they didn't do it right last time).

On the other hand, I did have to fight a serious battle with Gibson, who I believe stonewalled me and operated in bad faith generally, and turned what could have been a simple transaction into a nightmare. So yeah, if Carvin treated you like Gibson treated me, I'd steer clear as well.

What the hell is wrong with you people. I wasn't even in this thread till somebody said "in before GCDEF", then you said that my problem was that I ended up with no guitars. All I ever say is that my two were lemons, and I only say that in threads where people ask about experiences with their guitars. If you clowns hadn't mentioned me, I wouldn't have even commented in this thread. Seriously, I don't get the obsession with me. Here's an idea. Don't bring my name up, don't misstate my experiences, and I'll have no reason to be in a thread like this. It's really pretty simple.

I really don't see how these personal attacks on me help you or the Carvin cause. Anybody really trying to learn something is surely long gone by now.

• Members
Seriously, I don't get the obsession with me.

Perhaps because every single person that comes to this forum knows that not a single Carvin thread goes on around here without you innocently coming in and telling how badly they treated you? You can do it, there is no rule against it, but don't act all shocked when people start noticing it and calling you out for it. The one that said "in before GCDEF" only posted what a lot of other people were thinking. That should tell you something. Like I said, I don't care what you come in and say cuz I like arguing with you. But don't be all shocked when it happens cuz you KNOW it's gonna happen.. :blah::facepalm::bor:

• Members

Just to set the record straight, I ended up with two Carvins, both lemons.

As have I.

Owned 2 Carvins and both had issues none of my other guitars (not even my cheapy $350 Agile's) have/had.

I think Carvins are gorgeous guitars. Unfortunately its a guitar not a purse.

• Members
I really like Carvins and all, but the fact that Gibson, Fender, and PRS haven't needed to up their game says a lot.

I think it says that guitarists -in large part- buy brand names and hype. Just like my friends who rode Harley Davidson motorcycles and constantly had problems. It was a "Harley" so they were happy :rolleyes:
Eventually HD improved their quality, but many people were happy just with the brand.
I do remember that Gibson added features recently (2009?) to their LP Standard, finally offering what others had been offering for years.

I've had or played a few Gibsons, Fenders, and PRSs. Some were superb instruments, but in the $5,000-$10,000 range. I would not buy one of those.

When it came to "regular" models, I preferred alternatives. For example:
My Baker B1 guitars were MUCH better than my Gibsons (Les Paul Classic Antique and Standard). The Bakers also had the Buzz Feiten system and TonePros hardware, not to mention nicer woods and better quality.
Hamer was also heavily influenced by Gibson, but my Hamers were vastly superior to my Gibsons.

I've wanted a Fender Strat for over 20 years, and each time I buy a "Strat" it's a Melancon, G&L, US Masters, etc. They just offer better stuff for the money.

When a friend wanted a PRS I took him to the Carvin factory after we tried a few PRS guitars at Guitar Center. He ended up getting a Carvin. I would rather have a Carvin than a PRS. Some of the PRS we played were quite nice, though.

• Members
What were the issues?

LB75 Koa bass (which I still own) -
1. They sent me the wrong case (no biggie).
2. The electronics came fried :eek:. (I shipped it back and they fixed and gave me a new case - ok i can live with this as they fixed it).
BUT....
3. Whatever metal was used to construct the bridge was cheapo {censored} as a year into owning the bass all the anchors/claws which held the ball ends down started to bend upwards and 3 of them eventually broke off :mad:. Considering the amount paid for the instrument this should not have been the case. Ive never experienced this with any bass or guitar before. So the bridge is completely useless now, and in order for me to play it, I now have to put a new bridge on it.
4. Also about 3 years into owning it, the electronics partially went kooky, and the bass cut/boost knob does not work properly. It has a PCB board in it and I have no clue how to fix this.

I also owned a Carvin Holdsworth H2f which had neck issues (side twist) and due to the fact that the bridge was a tune-o-matic, I could not properly compensate for the difference in string height properly and ended up with pretty bad buzzing on my E and A strings from 10th to 15th fret. It was subtle, but enough so that the frets had also slightly protruded through the bass side of the neck and bubbled the finish. To be fair, I did get this used, so its possible this wasnt the case when sold new to the original owner. In the case of this guitar, its possible Carvin was 'innocent', but shoddy construction can certainly have caused/contributed to this condition (improper construction, lack of properly drying out the neck before installation, warped neck to begin with etc.) (How would one cause a side neck twist anyhow?) Most of the issues with my bass however developed well past any return period.

I really wanted the carvins to work out, but ive lost faith in them :cry:. I have since acquired a Godin lgxt and pretty much am satisfied I have all I need guitar-wise (except for maybe the new JT variax coming out in a month :facepalm:)

FWIW all my guitars are kept in a 45% relative humidity environment and I dont hang dumbbells off the tuning pegs.

• Members

I've wanted a Fender Strat for over 20 years, and each time I buy a "Strat" it's a Melancon, G&L, US Masters, etc. They just offer better stuff for the money.

Really? Because of the big players, I feel that fender -by far- provides the best value for the dollar. A USA strat or Tele is a very good instrument. Could you get better... probably with some looking... but the value proposition is very good AND you can get them anywhere, which means you can find the "right" one very easy.

Also, used, they are hard to beat. A usa fender strat often goes for what... 600-800 these days? At least I have seen a few like that on my local CL.

• Members

Oh but I have. I've played guitar longer than you've been alive probably and in those years I've played many, many guitars. They make nice stuff and I'd never say they didn't. But they make a certain style on their doublecuts and that style doesn't appeal to me. I guess the reason I feel that the CT, or at least my CT, is more of a superstrat is because mine has a Floyd. If you option one as a hardtail, then yeah, it's got a PRS-esque kind of vibe. But then, my old Ibanez SZ would qualify there too.

I knew you hadn't played a Carvin though. Virtually every hater I've met will eventually admit it. Thanks for being so "common"..
:p

And for the record, my current GAS is for one of these:

638813.jpg

So you can just get over the notion that I don't like PRS.

Thanks for proving your an asshole with your response.

I said they were a copy of PRS and you seem hell bent on making something out of that. I also said I didn't like them because of that. That is my choice asshole, not yours!

And I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY EVERY MODEL OF GUITAR, IN ORDER TO HAVE AN INFORMED OPINION ABOUT IT! I have talked to owners of the CT and other carvin guitars, some had good and some had bad things to say about it.

I don't like rick guitars either, I have heard the way they sound it is just not for me.

So keep your "holier that thou attitude" out of it asshole.

• Members

Give what up? Proving you really are an idiot? Dude, you don't need my help there..

You are the one that is an idiot. WHY?

Because you have to fanboi yourself with carvin guitars and if someone does not agree they are as great as YOU think they are (Despite what the market SAYS they are) then you try to act like their opinion does not count. Again an idiot does this.

You think you are so high above everything anyone else on this forum says that does not agree with you, you have to go out of your way to prove them wrong. No wonder you and GDCEF have had argument's in the past going. You are hell bent on being a grade A asshole. Well congrats... you are!

Not because you disagree with someone, but the way you have to keep something going once it is started.

Again, give it up asshole!

Archived