Why start a thread about scoring an old POD on ebay?...

Jkater

• Members

"one man's junk is another's treasure"...

Eight years or so ago, I bought brand new the big expensive Floorboard from line6 for my Flextone amp. I later realised that silent direct recording would be the most practical for me and when I wanted to buy a POD, I learned that line6 had made the new pods incompatible with my FB. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I tried a few times to see if an older one would show up on ebay but it seemed always to be the newer one so no luck. Then last week, an older POD 1.0 upgraded to 2.0 was offered on ebay and I got it for 40 euros! The same version new costs 135 euros. Im quite pleased with it. I had been using the little pocketpod so far but was not so happy with the results and it was a PITA to tweak. The real POD records way better (stereo A.I.R. output, easier to access everything) and joined by the foot controller, it's as good as I need right now for direct silent recording. :thu:

Here is what my modest little home studio looks like these days:

Homestudio.jpg

PODsetup.jpg

• Members

Sweet. I'd love a little settup like that at home.

I think I'd go for a valve pre with a recording out over a pod though.

It became clear to me along the way that a miced tube amp moving real air is the way to go for a real sweet sound and I took steps to do that (bought an egnater tweaker and an SM-57). When enquiring about small tube amps with a record out, a number of people in the know told me that most don't sound all that great with the silent record mode and that a modeler might an equally good solution, even better in the case of the good ones. This made my search for a tube amp easier as I no longer needed this feature.

I'm not saying the POD is the greatest thing on earth but it's a very good one for me given the reasons mentionned in the OP. :)

• Members

It became clear to me along the way that a miced tube amp moving real air is the way to go for a real sweet sound and I took steps to do that (bought an egnater tweaker and an SM-57). When enquiring about small tube amps with a record out, a number of people in the know told me that most don't sound all that great with the silent record mode and that a modeler might an equally good solution, even better in the case of the good ones. This made my search for a tube amp easier as I no longer needed this feature.

I'm not saying the POD is the greatest thing on earth
but it's a very good one for me given the reasons mentionned in the OP.
:)

Try the X3 and you might just change your mind about that.

And here, try this patch. Not sure everything will load on an older one, but it should get pretty close.

• Members

im such a pod fan boy its not even fair.. but its such a cool little deal.. i mean the models are not that advanced. but what i use it for is like the direct interface.. and then i do all the heavy lifting with Guitar Rig 4 or Amplitube 3 and just let the pod handle things like gates, compression, delays, and chorus effects.. i dont even miss brick and mortar amps.. nice set up you got jkater..

dsc00742c.jpg' alt='>'>

this is an old revision..

now i have gone to Adobe Audition/Sonar 8 for a daw.. but most of the time i just use Guitar Rig 4 no daw.. lazy lazy lazy... :thu:

... :cool:

• Members

I had a POD when it first came out and I loved it. Only thing I didn't like was how the reverb trailed off.

These days I mic a real amp, but the POD has its place and for the money they go for used I'm always tempted.

Archived