No HNGD... Honeymoon was short.

Jkater

• Members
Not in Europe, cheapest Gibson hollow body es-175 new is 2,400. I found a Heritage H-575 for 1,800 euros. That could be a contender but my idea of the jazz guitar I wanted was very clear: solid carved spruce top, floating mini humbucker, ebony board, ebony guard, in fact as much ebony as you can cram on one guitar, if possible natural finish (didn't find one in my budget). On paper, this Jazzica had it all and this one at a used price seemed like luck knocking at my door. I did expect a big sound acoustically and was surprised that it sounded kinda thin, not semi-acoustic thin but quieter than I had imagined. Electric, it sounds good but didn't make me go wow. It does have a very good playability and a confortable neck. I think you guys are starting to guess that my expectations were very high. At that price, nowadays, one can find pretty good ones. The real deal small builder stuff is, of course WAY more expensive. so are good Gibbies and top end Heritage (Eagle, etc.).

You may be wondering why I fell for this Jazzica? Here's what it looks like if you're far enough not to see the little flaws. Mine looks pretty much the same. the flame on mine is even nicer:

arch45a.jpg
arch45b.jpg
arch45d.jpg
arch45c.jpg

Well, it really looks good. Too bad it's not what you thought it would be!

I hope you're going to get THE ONE quickly!

• Members

that's really a shame J...I know you had high hopes for it...

...sometimes not bonding with a guitar turns out for the best...this way you have a better idea what you DON'T want...and an experience that will help you better evaluate an instrument...

Good luck on your quest...I hope the end of the journey makes it all worthwhile...

david

• Members

Guitar sent back today. I eying a couple Heritage H-575, one in natural finish and the other in sunburst.... Both quite attractive and being all solid wood, pleked, etc. seem fairly priced. In America, I would have an easier time looking for this. Could find more instruments on the used market. Jim Soloway also has very attractive and, no doubt, superb instruments that can do the Jazz thing well. Sadly They are a little over my budget and I find it risky to ship oversea.

• Members

There is a heritage H-575 on sale in Germany, I wonder how that one would be. It is less of a "dream" jazz guitar than i thought but with a budget of 2000 euros, I realize that I must settle on something I at least like.

That definitely seems disappointing with the finish flaws. I would certainly look for something else.

As you probably know I REALLY like my Heritage 535 (335 style) - more than I actually expected to like it! Heritages have a very organic/old world feel to them. Not to say that the build quality is subpar by any means - but I wouldn't say they have that modern super-precision feel like some brands. Much more of a vintage vibe. The tones are killer.

IMO, especially on the used market, they offer an extremely good value. Good thing about buying it used is that if it isn't your cup of tea, flip it for no loss.

• Members

That definitely seems disappointing with the finish flaws. I would certainly look for something else.

As you probably know I REALLY like my Heritage 535 (335 style) - more than I actually expected to like it!
Heritages have a very organic/old world feel to them. Not to say that the build quality is subpar by any means - but I wouldn't say they have that modern super-precision feel like some brands. Much more of a vintage vibe.
The tones are killer.

IMO, especially on the used market, they offer an extremely good value. Good thing about buying it used is that if it isn't your cup of tea, flip it for no loss.

And I like that. As much as I am in awe of the uncanny cosmetic perfection of my Yamaha SA2200, it's not the reason I like it so much. It's the feel and sound of it (I obviously don't mind that it's the most beautiful guitar I have ever owned). The "rough" but inspired built of the Heritage is also a plus for me. I wonder about the neck of the Heritage. Are they very fat? I like fat necks but to a point...

@BoneNut. I did consider that one but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Nice guitar, no doubt. I would buy it over a Gretsch.

• Members

And I like that. As much as I am in awe of the uncanny cosmetic perfection of my Yamaha SA2200, it's not the reason I like it so much. It's the feel and sound of it (I obviously don't mind that it's the most beautiful guitar I have ever owned). The "rough" but inspired built of the Heritage is also a plus for me. I wonder about the neck of the Heritage. Are they very fat? I like fat necks but to a point...

@BoneNut. I did consider that one but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Nice guitar, no doubt. I would buy it over a Gretsch.

I'm sure there's a good bit of variation given the handmade aspect. I would classify mine as "medium". It fills the hand, but it's not a baseball bat. My friend has a Heritage Prospect that has a fatter 50s style neck. From what I understand the medium-size neck is more the norm.

• Members
Never mind Richard.

There's millions of guitars out there...why settle?

Took me over a year to find my LP, but it's worth it in the end.

Good luck mate.

:thu:

Thanks, Marc. :)

I've always had a good feeling about Heritage. I have now the chance to get one. The H-575 in its simplicity has something that appeals a lot to me. Here is the ACTUAL guitar I am looking at getting:

heri575nat1july.jpg
h575nat2july.jpg
heri575nat3july.jpg
h575nat4.jpg

• Members
Holy crap!!
:eek:
:eek:
:love:
:love:

I actually like that A LOT more.

Yes, me too actually. The jazzica experiment was worth trying because as a second hand it had been reduced in price but it turned out it wasn't my cup of tea. I could send it back without problem (actually, I need to hear confirmation that thereare no problem... I hope it gets back safely to them). With my maximum budget, I must forget quality solid carved spruce top fancy jazzbox. The H-575 is fancy enough and more importantly, I have great hope that it will FEEL right.

• Members

EDIT: could you find a decent used ES 335 (or heritage copy, not sure which model the 575 is.). In doubt, ask Pascal (forumite here), he has one or two (not sure about two) heritage and he loves it/them.

Well, I do indeed love mine (H535 semi-hollow and H530 hollow w/P90s), but guitars are a personal thing, and they're also all different... So when buying a guitar in this price range (and even more, maybe, for an acoustic), there is only one rule: Play (yourself) the very guitar you're planning to buy. Or make sure there is a good return policy.

Case in point: I also love my Eastman (you did not like the one you played), and also loved the few Hofner Jazzica and New President I tried when I when shopping for an acoustic archtop (great playability, acoustic and amplified tone... although maybe also a little too thin to my taste, one of the reasons why I bought an Eastman instead).

A recently resurrected thread reminded me that I also loved a Heritage H575 that I tried in 2006... maybe it's good news for Jkater (lovely guitar that you posted above!). But maybe it only confirms that I am a guitar whore...

• Members

... although maybe also a little too thin to my taste, one of the reasons why I bought an Eastman instead).

This is in fact the main reason why I sent it back. Those huge pics of the cosmetic flaws suggest I was miffed by the bad binding work but, believe me, if I had loved the sound and general feel of the guitar, they would not have bothered me as much. I heard clips of the H-575 and I really liked what I heard. This particular one has Seth Lover's in it. Others have PAF 59.

• Members
Thanks, Marc.
:)

I've always had a good feeling about Heritage. I have now the chance to get one. The H-575 in its simplicity has something that appeals a lot to me. Here is the ACTUAL guitar I am looking at getting:

That's a nice looking guitar! I did always find it odd that the 575 has no neck binding, where the less expensive 535 does. You're right that the reality is that getting a truly high-end carved archtop is prohibitively expensive. I'd love to have one, but I've come to accept that I can't afford one and will wait until later in life when it makes more sense financially.

It is tough tracking down guitars like this. I was lucky that I got to play a few 535s before I found one that really struck me and was priced right. My advice to you is to take your time and if you have the chance, try to find a way to play some in person. It sounds like your looking for a lifetime keeper, so it will be worth the wait to get it right!

Good luck with your search :thu:

• Members
It is tough tracking down guitars like this. I was lucky that I got to play a few 535s before I found one that really struck me and was priced right. My advice to you is to take your time and if you have the chance, try to find a way to play some in person. It sounds like your looking for a lifetime keeper, so it will be worth the wait to get it right!

Good luck with your search

I envy those who live near big centers and can try a few guitars in person. Until recently I didn't even know I could get Heritage guitars here in Germany. You say you tried a few 535 before finding the right one? I hope there were only SMALL differences between them... what would you say was consistent between them? was the fretwork good on all? They are pleked, right?

One thing I know is that most quality guitars can become confortable to play after playing it a while (like shoes). I dare say that, after having played a long time, I can tell if a guitar will work for me. I will be checking the guitar for flaws I can't fix (neck angle, bad fretwork, etc.) and if that one sounds like I hope for and feels nice, I will live happily with whatever little tool marks there might be.

• Members
Thanks, Marc.
:)

heri575nat1july.jpg
h575nat2july.jpg
heri575nat3july.jpg
h575nat4.jpg

Well if my Heritage, and those I've played are any indication, it should be a stunner.

Looks fantastic, and the build quality on the Heritages I have encountered has been absolutely top notch.

I'd be surprised if this one doesn't push the right buttons...good luck!

• Members

I'm phoning the seller this morning and will ask him to reserve it for me. I need to get the refund for the Hofner before I can commit that kind of cash. It can take at least a week, maybe longer if it doesn't go smoothly... it gives me time to get more infos on this guitar... including checking out HC and TGP for owners's feedback

• Members
I heard clips of the H-575 and I really liked what I heard. This particular one has Seth Lover's in it. Others have PAF 59.

Would you have links to the specific clips you liked?

I'm asking because 1. You said the Hofner sounded too thin, and in my mind, the H-575 is also a "bright" archtop (solid, all-maple construction), and 2. because there is a new Heritage dealer at a 1.5h drive from here, and he seems to have a couple of H-575 in stock. :o:facepalm:

Archived