Convert an office chair into an amp stand?

gergbee

• Members

It's just your standard cheap office chair with a swivel base. I was thinking of taking off the seat and back and putting a chunk of plywood down. But I wondered if whomever made theirs did something extra to keep the amp on. I think they added some kind of electronic thing like an attenuator as well.

Looks sort of like this

16653_79339_F.jpg

• Members

It's just your standard cheap office chair with a swivel base. I was thinking of taking off the seat and back and putting a chunk of plywood down. But I wondered if whomever made theirs did something extra to keep the amp on. I think they added some kind of electronic thing like an attenuator as well.

Looks sort of like this

16653_79339_F.jpg

Vintage office chairs are waaay better....

:thu:

• Members

Vintage office chairs are waaay better....

:thu:

I'm sure there'd be better tone because of the finish and wood used. These new office chairs use too much plastic and metal. I actually have one of those old ones too, but I need its office mojo for work.

• Members

I use an old speaker stand for an improvised amp stand. It stops the bass being all boomy and focusses the midrange and top frequencies towards my ears. It's one of those AVF ones with a screw at the back so you can tilt it to the desired angle.

You will probably find one in a junk shop, boot sale or at the tip.

GuitarAmp.jpg

• Members

Wow...so what's that midrange knob all about? Why did you take guts out and where did you re-house them? looks well interesting man.

It's an attenuator that I built. If you are talking about the mess in the bottom two pictures that was one that I had built that bolted into the back of the amp originally. Using an l-pad attenuator works great, but you do lose some of your highs so I had designed a switching system to choose different bypass capacitors and a rheostat to adjust the mix level. It worked, but it was overkill.

When I built the stand I decided to redo the attenuator and mount it to the stand itself.

• Members

It's an attenuator that I built. If you are talking about the mess in the bottom two pictures that was one that I had built that bolted into the back of the amp originally. Using an l-pad attenuator works great, but you do lose some of your highs so I had designed a switching system to choose different bypass capacitors and a rheostat to adjust the mix level. It worked, but it was overkill.

When I built the stand I decided to redo the attenuator and mount it to the stand itself.

Really clever design there man. I'm impressed. :thu:

• Members

Either way...it looks VERY cool!

Thanks. It wasn't all my design, I just decided to take a good idea and over-engineer it. It was the equivalent to having a guitar with 27 switches that had almost indistinguishable changes. I ended up just picking a capacitor value that worked well and hardwiring it like a treble bleed cap in a strat. Then it worked great. :thu:

It was nice being able to run the amp into those nice crunchy levels at a whisper.

Archived