Junkers and Gems

Elias Graves

• Members
4473964186_744fcfed67_b.jpg

oh god another cheap ass SX toneless POS that lacks any mojo.. :thu:
well this one was up graded with some Tx mex pups.. 40 bucks..
and a nut.. so about 100 buck guitar.. slag on these if you wish but it really satisfies my strat FX..

tone sample else its fire wood..
im not much into lead playing,, but is what is.. hackery fun

Bluz
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9513320

dang thats 3 SX's ick.... :thu:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A friend of mine bought one of their LP Jr copies. And it was the worst POS I'd ever touched. The wood was way too dense and heavy (a version of mahogany called "concrete wood"), the TV Yellow was tinged towards greenish yellow and the p'ups were the noisiest I've ever heard. So heavy, dead, noisy and off color. What deal.
:rolleyes:

Like this?

No not like this

SxJr.jpg

• Members

My First Act guitars are gems. I own 5 five guitars, 4 are First Acts.

$114 SFA Lola. Great guitar. Went all crazy and refinished it, settled on filtertrons for pickups, and I love it. Ended up costing 2x as much after upgrades, but it only increased it's awesomeness. :D

$335 USA Lola. Amazing guitar. Put my favorite HBs in it (BG Buckers). Play this one most of the time.

$114 SFA Sheena. Currently stock. Love the setup. Has as much potential as my SFA Lola did. I'm not crazy enough to re-finish it like the Lola again. May just let it go as I can't think of anything good to do with it. Pickups are ok, but compared to my others it's just not quite there.

Free First Act Acoustic (with a strap peg on the neck heel!). Added a missing tuner, bridge, bridge pins, new strings, and it plays just fine and sounds good. I guess this wouldn't be a gem, but I was quite surprised at how it sounded/played considering it probably came out of a Wal-mart.

• Members
Like this?

No not like this

SxJr.jpg

Well, Of course not, not if you own one. :o
:lol:
But it actually may have been the same model, I'm not sure. But I really didn't exaggerate about his piece (whether it was the exact same model or not :idk: - can't even remember for sure now if his was one or two p'up) but he had so little interest in his that he tossed it into a garage sale his mother was having and let it go for something like $20. There was like "no love". :cry: I felt bad about it because I'd pointed him towards Rondo.

But it really was the densest, heaviest, least resonant wood I ever held; and it played real noisy and the color was a real miss.

On yours, I don't see the green.

And seriously, how is yours?

• Members
so far not a Junker posted.. well thats a hopeful sign.
;)

Nope, I posted a junker, the checkerboard painted one in post #59. I'm pretty sure there have been some others too.

That said, here's another gem.

Fender Tex-Mex Telecaster Special:

64208937_f659426fdf_o.jpg

I won't include the full tale of karmic retribution that resulted in me picking this up used for $125 (the sunbursts were streeting new for ~$400, iirc), but suffice to say it involved some shenanigans by the seller, who eventually got what he deserved.

The neckbucker splits and the guitar has 5-way switching for tons of tones. Have played many a gig with that buck-and-a-quarter geetar.

l_8e5ecca569fd466287661edb0fc417cb.jpg

l_c7ba53ecbd9b417fbe39f722c4927ffc.jpg

It even appeared (along with a bazillion other guitars and guitarists), in an ad, for the American Standard Telecaster (despite that it's not American or Standard). In that series of ads, the ad had a background made up of a mosaic of hundreds of teeny tiny individual photos.

Anyhow, here's a portion of the right-hand page of the 2-page ad:

fenderadwholepageze3.jpg

That's me right above the "T" in the word "the:"

fenderadcloseupbc4.jpg

Here's the pic they used:

brownielivept7.jpg

• Members
That's me right above the "T" in the word "the:"

That's cool Bryan. A little bit of immortality there. I got my HCEG posting entrant to the thread "Under-appreciated/recognized guitarists" that Guitar Player Mag posted here used by them. I nominated the Segovia trained and inspired (No, not Esteban) Charo!, "cuchi-cuchi", and it was published in their list. Yay!, I'm published! :D

But it pales to your spot on the Fender poster. Good job. :thu:

• Members
That's cool Bryan. A little bit of immortality there. I got my HCEG posting entrant to the thread "Under-appreciated/recognized guitarists" that Guitar Player Mag posted here used by them. I nominated the Segovia trained and inspired (No, not Esteban)
Charo!
, "cuchi-cuchi", and it was published in their list. Yay!, I'm published!
:D

But it pales to your spot on the Fender poster. Good job.
:thu:

Haha, the funny thing is, I sent in the photo and forgot all about it. Another forumite found his pic in a similar ad, posted a thread here, and it reminded me that I had sent the pic in. I was really surprised to have found the pic.

• Members

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff that was good but not great. I've sold a few guitars that were great just because I didn't need them. I've bought a few that turned out to be crap, and sold them. That said, I never buy stuff unless I find it at a good price.

Also, I believe all of my basses are older than me. And all came to be with their fair share of wear and tear, and at pretty good prices because of it.

• Members
A friend of mine bought one of their LP Jr copies. And it was the worst POS I'd ever touched. The wood was way too dense and heavy (a version of mahogany called "concrete wood"), the TV Yellow was tinged towards greenish yellow and the p'ups were the noisiest I've ever heard. So heavy, dead, noisy and off color. What deal.
:rolleyes:

My Squier Tele Custom II is the cheapie that I keep coming back too. Even though I didn't like it out of the box, it really grew on me with time. Now it's my favorite travel guitar. It is a bit noisy, but not too bad and if you've got some basic skills, that can be improved with adding a bit more shielding. It was the variety and quality of tone that enamored me with that little cheap-ass bitch.

I love my SX Jazz Bass. Just as good as any Fender MIM or Squiers I have touched. KEYWORDS: I HAVE TOUCHED!!!!! This usually starts a flame war. But yeah I don't think I have played an American but if it holds up to the MIM I imagine it would to the American or at least put a dent in it!

• Members
I love my SX Jazz Bass. Just as good as any Fender MIM or Squiers I have touched. KEYWORDS: I HAVE TOUCHED!!!!! This usually starts a flame war. But yeah I don't think I have played an American but if it holds up to the MIM I imagine it would to the American or at least put a dent in it!

Yeah, even though I'm picking on an SX, I'm not passing judgement on the whole brand.

Even after that one rotten apple showed up for my friend, it's been hard for me to resist these two offerings from them which have received a fair amount (or more) of praise here on HCEG. The champion for the first one of course being JJpistols.

liquidfrnr3ts1.jpg
a lot of fans of that one

And this one at least has gotten a lot of attention for its design - a mahogany P-90 strat that I was very tempted by.

sst57mhna1.jpg

Archived