Real-Time Video Rendering - Wow!!

Anderton

• Members

I'd love to see a video forum. And please, an FAQ or Basics sticky. I've been using Sonar for about a decade, and have a pretty fair understanding of audio stuff. But even starting out, when it came time to export a mix, the options were pretty straightforward; wav, mp3, maybe sample rate. Not too difficult to grasp.

But rendering video from Vegas, the options are ridiculous. Besides the format (avi, wmv, etc.) there are a ton of other options that I don't understand. So a 'primer' of sorts would be of great value. I don't do enough video editing to get good at it, so anything that would help communicate basics would be very valuable to me.

Yeah... no kidding... I did a lot of research -- and trial and error (hint: the time to try and err is with a short clip -- not when you're on deadline and trying to render your 23 minute HD masterpiece)... and I read everything I could find from YouTube -- some of it quite inconsistent -- on what they 'preferred' (and also found that what they said they preferred and what actually worked best -- or, at least, worked best with sub 1/2GB/minute settings -- was sometimes different than what they said).

The video format jungle/morass/miasma is truly a mess -- but, of course, your NLVE has to be able to support different codecs because, well, people want different codecs, cams shoot and store in different formats using different codecs, and, of course, different codecs have different tradeoffs and are better at some things than others.

One thing I noticed: almost no one knows what they're doing. I suppose it's kind of like all the newb recordists -- but instead of plaintively whining some question in a forum and then whining more when I don't like the answer like so many newbs [i may spend way too much time in recording forums :D ], I found it more productive to just plunge in and experiment. If not any much fun after the first 5 or 10 trial settings...

• Members

But I'm thinking that around $800 and above, the quality and pro-level features start to reappear, even if you're not getting a 3-CCD or CMOS image sensor with a great big lens.

I deeply regret, when I bought a $750 number about four years ago, that I didn't get a 3-CCD image sensor. Even with VEGAS's tricks, I still found it hard, often, to get beautiful, naturalistic color balance (especially in indoor/low light/night scenes) without that telltale graininess very difficult to disguise or cure.... which would've been a snap with a 3-CCD jobbie. Word to the wise. :idk:

• Moderators

...and it was shot with a freakin' point and shoot photo camera in video mode at 640x480 (that part sucks most).

That's really good. Did you do all the pans and zooms in post with Vegas? I'm assuming a lot of "camera motion" was actually taken from a wider shot and paned/zoomed in software?

Nice work with simple effects that inform the story. Really good.

• Members

Musician's perspective on video is an interesting enough angle to merit a forum, but let's have this thread get completely out of hand first. :-)

Good gear helps, but it's the shooter, not the camera.

Consider what sort of videos you want to work on, since the higher end editing software may be like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

Several current cell phones shoot 720p video, and next year's models will do 1080p. The real challenge will be holding the little buggers steady. The least bit of movement, on a 55" screen, will resemble an earthquake.

I had to suffer through some long renders recently, but they were 1080p. I didn't mind.

• Members

Great thread-

Here's an example of the technology enabling inexpensive video- my son shot and edited this vid for his band last July using a Canon Rebel T2I (now at about $850.00), spent around $200.00 for black cloth, lumber, props, etc... and edited it all on Vegas. He used a homemade dolly and also shot some of his solo singing footage at our house. He did have some rendering (only to HD) issues earlier on, but eventually got it sorted out.

• Members

...and it was shot with a freakin' point and shoot photo camera in video mode at 640x480 (that part sucks most).

Goes to show that it's not the gear, but the user. That's something I wouldn't mind seeing as a short in a film festival. In fact I've seen shorts at festivals that weren't as interesting.

• Members

Speaking of shakey video here's a search for DIY steady-cam solutions

Some Sony camcorders (NX5U for example) have a feature called "Steadyshot". There are two modes, regular Steadyshot and what they call "Active Steadyshot". The Active Steadyshot is almost like using a Steadycam/Glidecam, but without the annoying, heavy,balanced mechanical rigs. I don't know how they do it, but it works great.

• Members

Very nicely done! I kinda dig the song too.

Great thread-

Here's an example of the technology enabling inexpensive video- my son shot and edited this vid for his band last July using a Canon Rebel T2I (now at about $850.00), spent around $200.00 for black cloth, lumber, props, etc... and edited it all on Vegas. He used a homemade dolly and also shot some of his solo singing footage at our house. He did have some rendering (only to HD) issues earlier on, but eventually got it sorted out.

• Members

Very nicely done! I kinda dig the song too.

Thanks- they recorded an EP here (good ol' dad's studio!) earlier in the summer. He's so far ahead of where I was at his age...

The ability to shoot quality footage and then do post-production on a PC or Mac (for a fraction of what it used to cost) is simply amazing.

Archived