One thing about Freebird

Faber

• Members

[YOUTUBE]np0solnL1XY[/YOUTUBE]

ok this is the tune...

that slide part is not great... i mean dig it...

Derek Trucks or D Allman just really puts this stuff on ice...

so thats not very good slide at all when in comparison.

so what you have next is the solo..

if you dig it you dig it.. but its just building tension by going up the neck..

not really inventive.. its a good getting drunk song..

and Hotel California..

[YOUTUBE]QgLfoQfmSQ4[/YOUTUBE]

Much better written way better groove.. tells a great story..

and one of the coolest twin guitar leads..

but listen for your self..

i know which one i like better..

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still love Freebird and just recently saw some old footage on PBS of them playing it live from a concert in the 70' s. As far as the discussion of the same lick being played over and over - it's a funny thing that I've noticed for decades, that often times when a guitar player does that it gets a huge reaction from the crowd. If you listen to live recordings where a guitarist does a repetitive hammer-on or repeats some fast lick, people start cheering, like the guitarist is doing something difficult or has the endurance to keep keep it going. I'm not sure what it is, but I've seen it over and over throughout the years - people seem to be impressed with this. And being influenced by Cream-era Clapton, I've done that kind or riffing myself and have seen the same reaction.

• Members

I still love Freebird and just recently saw some old footage on PBS of them playing it live from a concert in the 70' s. As far as the discussion of the same lick being played over and over - it's a funny thing that I've noticed for decades, that often times when a guitar player does that it gets a huge reaction from the crowd. If you listen to live recordings where a guitarist does a repetitive hammer-on or repeats some fast lick, people start cheering, like the guitarist is doing something difficult or has the endurance to keep keep it going. I'm not sure what it is, but I've seen it over and over throughout the years - people seem to be impressed with this. And being influenced by Cream-era Clapton, I've done that kind or riffing myself and have seen the same reaction.

yep, it's just catchy. It's easier to catch most people's attention with that kind of lick than with some blazing diminished run all the way up and down the neck. It's also a good way of creating tension and release in a solo.

• Members

Much better written way better groove.. tells a great story..

and one of the coolest twin guitar leads..

but listen for your self..

i know which one i like better..

come on scuzzo it took joe walsh to give the eagles any cred ,i was realy cheesed off when he joined them. besides the version of freebird you have put up is in mono and the eagles`s in stereo.freebird created a whole movement of people back in the mid 70`s ,hotel california was just another nice song by a nice band you could have taken your granny to watch.

• Members

Its an effective technique for creating tension, followed by release. The repetition is a bit annoying (made more annoying with the high pitch), making it sweet relief when it finally ends. Its a bit like taking off your shoes and socks at the end of a long day or having an orgasm after lots of humping.

• Members

Its an effective technique for creating tension, followed by release. The repetition is a bit annoying (made more annoying with the high pitch), making it sweet relief when it finally ends. Its a bit like taking off your shoes and socks at the end of a long day or having an orgasm after lots of humping.

i {censored}ing ate it when people think they know the answer to everything,effective technique my arse.:facepalm:

i think it`s a bit more than that when you can create something which can touch people on such a worldwide level.

• Members

I was on a debate team in high school. I did student congress and you were able to make bills to debate over. One of mine was to make Free Bird the national anthem of America. It didn't go over well... I was the only one for it. Everyone from the other schools were stuck up, conforming, rich people who never heard the song before. One guy gave a speech and said, "I never heard of the song before, so I went online to print out the lyrics and I don't see how this applies." :facepalm: I am worried about the future of America...

• Members

i LOVE Freebird... but there are much better Skynyrd songs... All I Can Do, Simple Man, Tuesday's Gone, I Need You, Needle And The Spoon... lots more... personally, i loathe Sweet Home... there are some of the new Skynyrd songs that are pretty badass too... like this one...

[YOUTUBE]hKLj1XdgLO8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Sure it's over-played (I could happily go a long time without hearing it), and it's not their best song, and not that inventive. On the other hand to be THE song that every drunk wants hear ... well, that's not a bad thing to have on one's resume.
:lol:

i like simple:idk:

• Members

It's actually a really good song
- sure it's overblown and I'm sure that to an american audience it's played to death, but take that away and there's a very good song played by a kicking band. Besides, the song was never played much here in Denmark - I can't remember it ever being played on the radio or by a bar band, so it haven't been worn completely out. I was just listening to One More From the Road last night, and that version is good fun rock and roll.

Error

• Members

come on scuzzo it took joe walsh to give the eagles any cred ,i was realy cheesed off when he joined them. besides the version of freebird you have put up is in mono and the eagles`s in stereo.freebird created a whole movement of people back in the mid 70`s ,hotel california was just another nice song by a nice band you could have taken your granny to watch.

ok... print the lyrics out to free bird... listen to the vocs..

If I leave here tomorrow

Would you still remember me?

For I must be traveling on, now

'Cause there's too many places

I've got to see

But, if I stayed here with you, girl

Things just couldn't be the same

'Cause I'm as free as a bird now

And this bird, you'll can not change

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

And the bird you cannot change

And this bird you cannot change

Lord knows, I can?t change

Bye, bye, baby it's been a sweet love

Yeah, yeah

Though this feeling I can't change

But please don't take it so badly

'Cause the Lord knows

I'm to blame

But, if I stayed here with you girl

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Lord knows, I can't change

Lord help me, I can't change

Lord I can't change

Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah?

Its just another babe im gona leave ya... but not near as good.. not near..

lyrics to Hotel California?

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

There she stood in the doorway;

I heard the mission bell

And I was thinking to myself,

• Members

ok... print the lyrics out to free bird... listen to the vocs..

If I leave here tomorrow

Would you still remember me?

For I must be traveling on, now

'Cause there's too many places

I've got to see

But, if I stayed here with you, girl

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

And the bird you cannot change

Lord knows, I can?t change

Bye, bye, baby it's been a sweet love

Yeah, yeah

Though this feeling I can't change

But please don't take it so badly

'Cause the Lord knows

I'm to blame

But, if I stayed here with you girl

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Lord knows, I can't change

Lord help me, I can't change

Lord I can't change

Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah?

Its just another babe im gona leave ya... but not near as good.. not near..

lyrics to Hotel California?

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

There she stood in the doorway;

I heard the mission bell

And I was thinking to myself,

• Members

I was on a debate team in high school. I did student congress and you were able to make bills to debate over. One of mine was to make Free Bird the national anthem of America. It didn't go over well... I was the only one for it. Everyone from the other schools were stuck up, conforming, rich people who never heard the song before. One guy gave a speech and said, "I never heard of the song before, so I went online to print out the lyrics and I don't see how this applies."
:facepalm:
I am worried about the future of America...

I'm worried too, but for a completely different reason.

Archived