Installed fresh power tubes in my amp: it busted! :(

Misha

• Members

So, I installed new tubes ( 2 X 6V6s) in my Laney Cub 10. Put the grill back. Powered on the amp then I heard a low noise for a few seconds, then: nothing! :cry:

I put the old tubes back in: nothing either. What could it be??? Hopefully, it's just a fuse, but why would the fuse fry when we put new tubes?

Also, my Holy Grail Nano broke the same day! :mad:

Bad week! :(

• Members

I'm guessing that you didn't rebias the amp after installing the new power tubes. Unless your amp is a Cathode bias (usually just certain EL-84 amps), when you replace tubes you have to set the bias. If the amp is set too hot for your new tubes, they can overheat and take out components with them.

Leave the amp turned off, take it to an amp tech and see what they say. Maybe a cap just went out. Did you notice any smoke, seriously red power tubes, overheating, or funky smells before it died?

• Members

Cathode and self-biasing amps are not just for EL-84s. I have them that are EL34 and 6L6.

It does sound like a fuse blew, but a blown fuse 99.9999% has nothing to do with a bad fuse. It sounds like you may not have seated the tubes correctly or you may have broken a pin while seating them. While it is true a hot bias will cause tubes to wear more quickly, if your amp ran so hot as to blow those tubes it probably would have killed the others in like fashion.

If you do not have to adjust bias for new tubes, and I'm guessing you don't, did you disconnect the speaker while installing the new tubes? If so, did you reconnect it? Running a tube amp without a load will also cause major problems.

• Members

I did not rebias though it may need a different resistor. (Not sure it has a variable resistor, hopefully yes, otherwise it wood be poorly designed!)

I've been very careful when I put the new tubes, I don't think I broke a pin but who knows??

I already took the amp to the tech and now I'm waiting for it! :(

It took a maximum of 10 seconds before it stopped! All it did was kind of a whisper then nothing!! I'm sure it did not get too hot! It shut down much too fast to become that hot!

• Members

Don't assume new tubes will be good. I've received several that were DOA right out of the box. I see it's too late but I'd normally suggest replacing the fuse (if you've determined that the fuse blew) and trying your old tubes before taking it to a tech.

• Members

From time to time, the amp would make a weird noise, that's why I changed the preamp tubes. It sounded much better after, then I decided to changed the power tubes too...

There is something though... and you are gonna laugh at me but... just be careful yourself next time you change your guitar strings... I cut the extra lenght of the strings close to the tuning pegs... To make a long story short: one of these tiny strings fell in my power bar, touching my Holy Grail at the same time, at the other side! The Holy Grail fried!

I thought the amp was fine, don't think I even tried it before I swapped the tubes...

Be careful! It's such a stupid thing to happen! :facepalm:

The tech just called me: the amp is fixed: he changed the fuse but also the rectifier. Soldered some components better and grounded the amp better... Just one thing: he said the amp was noisy... It was really quiet before - at low volume! :(

Gonna go get it tonight or tomorrow... (Only 45 minutes left today!)

• Members

The fuse on the Cub probably blew when the rest shorted out...that's what fuses are for.

I agree fuses don't just blow, often it's the sign of a failing power tube. But in this case, the shorting out of the mains may have been the root cause.

Still, I would have tried replacing the fuse and trying it out before taking it to a tech. If it blew again (even in a few days), then there is another problem. Next step would be replace the fuse (again) and swap the old power tubes back in and see if it blows (again).

As for the noise, there is always a chance it's his power source...or work environment...or pickups.

• Members

Hi Wyatt!

I tried to change the fuse but... could not take the amp apart! The tubes are easily accessible but not the fuse! (I'm a weak girl, I guess... with not a lot of tools and no boyfriend for the moment! ;) That's why I took the amp to the tech!

I'm gonna get it tomorrow only. Tonight I was too much in a hurry to go and I want to try it before I take it back - I'll bring the few pedals I usually use with the amp, except for the Holy Grail, of course, and my own guitar.

If it's really noisy - at least when I come back home - it's because something is really bad!

Do I have to pay for a repair if it made the amp noisy??? :facepalm:

The tech said he put one military preamp tube to silent the amp a bit... So, it would mean that he put two different preamp tubes??? WTF???

• Members

I call the tech back to tell him my concerns about the noise thing. He said that I should not worry. It was noisy at maximum volume, not at bedroom volume. He also said that the preamp tube that he changed was microphonic a bit (it was an older tube that I had in an English Muff'n.) He also said that I don't need to spend an extra 36$ for another military preamp tube, unless I really insist on spending money!

So, I guess it's a bit better than I thought. It will cost me a total of 82$ CAD, parts an labour included.

• Members

was the speaker plugged in?

probably just coincidence

haha thats funny about the strings, I invariably end up stepping on a small string end like 3 weeks later.

Yes, the speaker was plugged in! No need to disconnect it to swap the tubes!

About the string end: next time you see one, think of me and what could happen! Those tiny strings can be expensive!! :freak:

I had GAS for a Fender Mustang amp: it looks like my money went into smoke! :facepalm:

• Members

The tech said he put one military preamp tube to silent the amp a bit... So, it would mean that he put two different preamp tubes??? WTF???

The tubes don't have to be matched as long as a 12AX7/7025 went in.

He probably put a nice tube in there. Military usually means a "JAN" tubes, which would imply new old stock or used U.S.-made tube. JAN-rated meant a product met a minimum U.S. military standard for noise and durability (most old tube manufacturers met this requirements regardless of whether the tube was labeled JAN or not).

• Members

Thank's Wyatt for your explanations!

Can't wait to get my amp back, tomorrow!

I'll tell you more about how the amp really sounds tomorow morning!

Also, the weather should be more clement than it has been today: it's only

• Members

it happens to the best of us

chheech.png

Yeah, you're right!

I need to replace my reverb pedal and unfortunately, it costs as much if not more than the Mustang I!

Jeez! Tube amps with no built-in reverb! Now I understand what people mean when they talk about the cost of maintenance for tube amps! :rolleyes:

• Members

Good luck with your amp. I didn't mean to paint the worst possible scenario, but "red-plating" can/does happen...probably not in 10 seconds, though.

I hope it works well for you tomorrow.

Thank's!

All should be fine, now!

There's also and upcoming NGD for me: I'm waiting for my PRS SE Mike Akerfeldt to be set up! ;)

• Members

What? Do you mean I need an handwired tube reverb tank (or pedal) ???
:confused:

only if you need to get surf reverb, which even my Twin Reverb cant do...But Iwas just saying the cost of reparing tube amps is nothing to the cost of replacing a solid state amp.

tube amp will last 100 years easy with maybe $100 repair, and a few hundred/thousand on tubes.

• Members

only if you need to get surf reverb, which even my Twin Reverb cant do...But Iwas just saying the cost of reparing tube amps is nothing to the cost of replacing a solid state amp.

tube amp will last 100 years easy with maybe $100 repair, and a few hundred/thousand on tubes.

lol

I knew what you meant! I'm looking at reverb pedals right now and I'm thinking that a handwired one could have been fixed...

I loved the Holy Grail Nano but I wonder if something better came up on the market since last year when I got it! ??

Well, I'm doing my homework before I go buy another pedal! :idk:

• Members

lol

I knew what you meant! I'm looking at reverb pedals right now and I'm thinking that a handwired one could have been fixed...

I loved the Holy Grail Nano but I wonder if something better came up on the market since last year when I got it! ??

Well, I'm doing my homework before I go buy another pedal!
:idk:

I pedal that's been shorted with 120VAC may be a mess to repair, even if it were simpler.

Archived