My Guitar Repair How-To Archive

atrox

• Members

Odd that the main reason I created this thread was so I could easily find these posts for when I needed them... but then they take the search function away anyway and now it's kinda useless for it's intended purpose now:thu:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Odd that the main reason I created this thread was so I could easily find these posts for when I needed them... but then they take the search function away anyway and now it's kinda useless for it's intended purpose now:thu:

Until they fix it, Up We Go ... Weeeee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Atrox, and MindRiot also,

Quick question about your fret dressing, Do you always dress with a certain radius block? Can you re-radius a neck just by using say a 9.5 block instead of a 12?

Oh, and thanks for the threads.... Still reading on a couple.

• Members

I did my first fret level with a radius block, but since then I've started using flat steel stock.

If you're talking about leveling frets with a radius block, you can use a different block than the neck radius to a point. If you level a 14" radius neck with a 9.5" block, you'll most likely not have any fret left at the edges of the fretboard when you're done. And vice versa if you level a 9.5" with a 14" block, you'll probably not have any fret left in the middle.

If you're talking about reradiusing the board itself when the frets are removed, you can reshape the radius into whatever you want with a few caveats:

1) The board has to be thick enough to allow reshaping (many vintage Fenders used a rosewood veneer board that is not thick enough to allow radical reradiusing.)

2) If the board is maple, you will need to refinish it to protect the wood if you reradius it.

3) You will need to cut a new nut to match the new radius, and make sure the bridge is set up to match it as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Good thread.

Question: Best method for reattatching loose hanging binding? Superglue?

yup.. But on Nitro, be very careful with it though. It will melt that finish in a second. On Poly, you can just wipe excess off with acetone and it will be fine, but on a nitro guitar, I have had luck with modelers glue actually.

• Members

yup.. But on Nitro, be very careful with it though. It will melt that finish in a second. On Poly, you can just wipe excess off with acetone and it will be fine, but on a nitro guitar, I have had luck with modelers glue actually.

It is the binding on a Taylor acoustic guitar on the neck, so it will actually be plastic to raw wood(side of neck, I believe. But, yeah, I will be careful with any excess or squeeze out from getting on the back of the neck or fretboard etc.

• Members

Good stuff indeed! I hadn't seen the "removing deep scratches" thread before.

Is there anything that can be done for removing/filling in deep scratches in an acoustic? I got a pretty nasty 3" - 4" gouge on the upper bout of mine. If the right fix is anything that goes beyond a 3 on the pain-in-the-ass meter, I'll probably learn to accept it as "character"!

Archived