How come George Lynch's hands seem stationary

lincoln40

• Members

I did some youtubing and found more stuff about Mr. Lynch. I will be honest, he is a great player but I didn't like the music, his band was called Doken. i just couldn't get into the vocals and the songs didnt really rock. But he is a great player.

Which songs did you look up? I've always liked GL. I'd check out Mr. Scary, Sleepless Nights, Kiss of Death, Heaven Sent, The Hunter...but all of us have different tastes and maybe you're just not into his songs. That's ok too.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did some youtubing and found more stuff about Mr. Lynch. I will be honest, he is a great player but I didn't like the music, his band was called Doken. i just couldn't get into the vocals and the songs didnt really rock. But he is a great player.

Agrrr Young people! :cop:

Rock it George!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2sxyBMHtMM&feature=related

• Members

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your nether regions!!!

Dokken is one of my favorite bands of all time. At least the version of Dokken with Lynch in it. Tooth and Nail, Under Lock And Key, and Beast From The East were staples of my youth. Some of my favorite music and it never gets old. I can listen to that stuff over and over.

• Members

"His" band was Lynch Mob. Don Dok
k
en's band was Dok
k
en, and George was the guitarist.

Actually, his original band was called The Boyz (with a Z) and when Van Halen was discovered, it was actually The Boyz that the A&R rep was going to watch at the show. The Boyz had some issues of some sort that night and Van Halen lit up the stage.

So, for somebody that's all like "OMGZ!!! EDDIE VAN HALEN!!!", you sure seem to actually know absolutely jack about Van Halen's history and who they've been associated with.

• Members

Yeah but when you look at other great players like Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammet, Dimebag you'll see there hands are flying all over the fingerboard when they play fast

Actually, if you watch earlier videos of Zakk, he played more like Lynch with his economy of motion. Dime didn't really let it fly all over the place, either. Hammett... Yeah... He's all over the place.

• Members

So you're saying Buckethead was around back in 1988?

That might sound kinda crazy but he was. I remember he submitted a song to a contest Guitar Player magazine had back in the day. I was in the 8th grade that year so 1988-89 sounds right for when he was an up and comer.

• Members

From what I've seen recently...I'm under the impression that Lynch hasn't played like this in years. I much preferred this Lynch over new Lynch. I don't know if age is getting the better of him or if he's just burnt out, but I don't see this ferocity anymore.

Which is not to say that I'm dogging on Lynch. He's still a great player. Just seems like he's going in a different direction.

• Members

lincoln I think you are getting yourself off on the wrong foot on this forum and who else knows where you are going.

In your VH post you said you just turned 22 the same age Ed was when he made that album lol. I think you are looking at the right players for a guide in your playing, but you are going to have to lose the high school this sucks or that sucks mentality if you want older guys who basically make up most guitar forums to take you serious as you are not making yourself to popular or someone to be taken serious. You post that you just discovered Vanhalen within the last year and the band sucks after 1984, I highly doubt you own every VH album and have taken in all that music in a year. Now because you do not see Lynches hand flying up and down the fretboard on the few Youtube songs means What? I was never a fan of Lynches bands but the guy is a total beast on the guitar and can more than hold his own with any of his peers in that genre.

I think you would do better by asking what you would like to know in a more subtle manner, and you will see a lot of guys be willing to go out of their way to help, then by sounding like some of these idiots that make these {censored}ing stupid disrespectful post under Youtube videos. Now you can soak in and think about what I said or tell me to {censored} off either way it is no sweat off my back. I just think you have potential but are going about it wrong.

• Members

lincoln I think you are getting yourself off on the wrong foot on this forum and who else knows where you are going.

In your VH post you said you just turned 22 the same age Ed was when he made that album lol. I think you are looking at the right players for a guide in your playing, but you are going to have to lose the high school this sucks or that sucks mentality if you want older guys who basically make up most guitar forums to take you serious as you are not making yourself to popular or someone to be taken serious. You post that you just discovered Vanhalen within the last year and the band sucks after 1984, I highly doubt you own every VH album and have taken in all that music in a year. Now because you do not see Lynches hand flying up and down the fretboard on the few Youtube songs means What? I was never a fan of Lynches bands but the guy is a total beast on the guitar and can more than hold his own with any of his peers in that genre.

I think you would do better by asking what you would like to know in a more subtle manner, and you will see a lot of guys be willing to go out of their way to help, then by sounding like some of these idiots that make these {censored}ing stupid disrespectful post under Youtube videos. Now you can soak in and think about what I said or tell me to {censored} off either way it is no sweat off my back. I just think you have potential but are going about it wrong.

I think you need to reread my post and realize i never once put Lynch down. I just made an observation about his playing style. Also I have heard VH after 1984, and i don't like it. It sounds like a different band to me. What?, you want me to relisten to post 1984 until i change my mind so my opinion will match yours. Looks like youre the one that needs to grow up dude.

• Members

From what I've seen recently...I'm under the impression that Lynch hasn't played like this in years. I much preferred this Lynch over new Lynch. I don't know if age is getting the better of him or if he's just burnt out, but I don't see this ferocity anymore.

Which is not to say that I'm dogging on Lynch. He's still a great player. Just seems like he's going in a different direction.

No, he's still got the fire in him. He does a great solo in We Will Remain" off the new Lynch Mob disk. his solo is at the 2:16 mark.

[YOUTUBE]KQkK_zhvpic&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xdLX8OyFfz0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

yeah, he was already around back then although not yet really famous. Ozzy actually hired him but apparently the guy wouldn't take the damn bucket off his head
so ozzy got rid of him and hired zakk instead.

Hmmm. Part of that story is just rock folklore. The Ozzy & Buckethead story isn't even from the period when Zakk Wylde got the gig. Zakk joined Ozzy in what...1987? That full bore Buckethead persona hadn't even emerged yet.

The story I read was Ozzy's account of the incident. It basically came down to him really wanting to hire him but wasn't about to feed into his being in character all the time. IIRC Ozzy wanted to recruit him for his Ozzfest band. See quote below. F.Y.I.

"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me, but only if he got rid of the {censored}ing bucket. So I came back a bit later, and he's wearing this green {censored}ing Martian's-hat thing! I said, 'Look, just be yourself.' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing {censored}ing mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up'? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a mother{censored}er."

Ozzy Osbourne, Revolver Magazine.

• Members

This dude named George Lynch was the guest guitarist on That Metal Show. I'm not knocking his playing so you fans of his can relax. But did you notice it seemed like his fretting hand did not move around very much? He would be playing something really fast but when you look at his hands his fret hand would stay in one position. So I looked him up on you tube, same thing his hands are not all over the fret board. He plays a lot in position compared to the other famous guitarists

It may have to do with how he views the the guitar neck and his note selection. Why in the world would you go running all over the neck if the notes you want to play are right under your fingers?

• Members

Wow...
Involving Kirk Hammett in a list of great players is like inviting Dave Mustaine to a Beatles tribute show to play

You suck and I hate you.

THIS!!!

After the kirk comment, it has to be a joke....... has to be.

Win.

oh yeah. Take a {censored}in listen to And Justice For All, his leads are badass. He's playing some modal exotic {censored} in context of heavy {censored}. that {censored} is still badass to this day

• Members

Wow... Involving Kirk Hammett in a list of great players is like inviting Dave Mustaine to a Beatles tribute show to play.

You suck and I hate you.

THIS!!!

After the kirk comment, it has to be a joke....... has to be.

Win.

LOL!!!! I knew that those photos would spark your interest Reignman!! Yuor Avatar says it all, but George was way cool man, and he tore it up that night...best part of the night...we finished our set and were in the backstage area clearin our {censored} out, and along comes George, guitar in hand and says to me.."do you know where we go to warm up?" I had no idea cause we just hung out in the kitchen area just to the side of the stage warmin up till it was time to go on, so i said "im sorry George i have no idea!"

Archived