Backup strategy: what's yours?

Lee Flier

• Members

Well, everything worked great last night - I woke up this morning to find my entire data drive (less the folders I excluded) having been copied to my external drive, and all my email backed up as well. And all just as accessible as if the files were on my internal hard drive. :thu: :thu: :thu:

This is definitely going to make my life much easier!

• Members

I've been using Software995's Backup995 software. (It's shareware that pops a couple of web page adverts into your default browser when you start it up. You can buy an ad-free version for, you guessed it, US$9.95.)

It's pretty basic but does allow ad hoc or scheduled incremental backups into a standard zip format -- which (in XP at any rate) means you can browse or search on its contents like any other folder. (Image thumbnails aren't displayed from inside the zip, of course.)

The one thing you really need to watch out for is where you set it to back up to -- it will over-write the entire contents of the folder you specify (it does give you a warning) so if you were to back up, bleary-eyed at the end of a long day and not give the correct folder address (or simply specify the root of one of your drives) and you missed the 'are you sure?' warning, you could be a sorry camper.

My fitful and infrequent backups have actually saved me from my occasional ill-considered file clean-outs more than a few times and at least once from what could have been seriously dreadful accidental folder deletions.

• Members

That does look very good. Looks like it's got a lot of options, including various compression formats and scheduling options.

I'm always just a little iffy when I see something like this on the official home site (keeping in mind it's March 2011)...

The 10th version of Cobian Backup is now under development. An Alpha version will be released to some selected users in
january 2010
. A public Beta version will be released some time after.

[bold added]

Looks like they are up to Version 10.1.1.816, as of Sept 2010, per CNet's download.com page for the app. Coders... they just don't like the busy work like updating public-facing info pages and such. ;)

• Members

When i'm working on an album I back it up on 2 external Hard Drives at least. For long term, It's on a couple different dedicated mirror drives. One of which will be off site eventually in case of fire. (God Forbid!)..Every few years I change backup drives..Thats I all I can do at this point.

• Members

Coders... they just don't like the busy work like updating public-facing info pages and such.
;)

Hey... I resemble that remark! :D

But I think I'd rather they were off coding. And it seems like they do a very good job of that. I'm really impressed by this program... mainly because I set it up on day one and have not had to touch it, or think about it, since. I just look at my backup drive and, sure enough, everything I wanted backed up is there and up to date. :thu:

• Members

No back up... If I lose everything I start over fresh

Theres something about your stance that I admire but I`ve lost a couple of tracks that just had that "something" and you can never get that back again so now I backup no matter how uncool it is with my maverick nature.

• Members

I make backups to external drives in duplicate and store one set out of my house at another location. Every 3 months or so I rinse and repeat. I have my main OS drives in carriers that are duplicated as well (using Acronis - I hate Ghost) and kept on site so I can quickly swap the drives in just a couple more minutes time than it take to do a standard cold boot. I never want to be exposed to having to send a client home because of a computer error.

Archived