What are good options for shielding my tele?

Jkater

• Members

I installed a big copper shield that fits under the pick-guard and it has taken all the buzz out. Before I installed it I got a horrible static by just rubbing my fingers across the pick-guard..drove me crazy(er). Shield paint would probably be a good idea also especially if I was playing in bars with beer signs all around.

• Members

i have one done up with copper and another w/ heavy foil, both cavities and guard. i can't really tell a difference sound wise, but the copper looks way better.

i've seen people claim that the copper (if too clost to the pickups) can have an effect on the tone or something because it can effect the magnetic field or something..

bleh.

• Members

I always get the static noise problem every winter when the humidity drops. My experience has been that just shielding the back of a Strat or Tele pg, and grounding it, WILL pretty well clear up the static problem. If you have other kinds of noise issues then you probably will need to shield the entire cavity. But I kind of see those as two separate jobs anyway; so if the main problem is static, I'd just do the pg first and see what happens.

• Members

I used that copper foil tape. Worked fine and was really easy to install.

where do you buy that? i found some once, but i felt it was terribly expensive (no, i don't recall the price). i ended up buying copper from monteallums.com - what was top notch, heavy duty.. http://www.monteallums.com/shielding_supplies.html#pickguard

looks like he sells adhesive backed stuff now.. i just used 3m super77 spray adhesive.

• Members

Just doing foil on the backside of the guard accomplishes little to nothing.

I totally disagree! I own 18 top of the line guitars and on everyone of them (with a pickguard) at a minimum I have glued aluminum foil to the back of the pickguard. This WILL eliminate the "static" that some have mentioned. If you have vintage pickups prone to noise or other problems, yes I agree you may need to do more, but again, at a minimum, simply glue some heavy duty aluminum foil to the back of your pickguard and you should see a difference.

• Members

Guitarfetish sells the adhesive copper tape, it's pretty reasonably priced as I recall, less than $10 for a kit to shield 1 guitar.

I think you guys are getting confused about the different kinds of "static"... There's the 60 Hz AC hum that's hard to get rid of. But I've also experienced a "crackling" noise on my strat and tele when strumming. Turned out my hand was rubbing the pickguard and generating static electricity, and cause clicks and pops to come through my amplifier. Putting grounded copper foil on the back of my pickguard cured that problem 100%. Shielding reduced the pickup of AC hum in my strat, but didn't eliminate it. Sucks, cause I hate AC hum but love the sound of strat pickups.

• Members
anyone ever try this?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html?tab=Details#details

0029_1lg.jpg

i had an
Agile
once that appeared to have the cavities painted with something like it..

I used it on the Stratosquire that I assembled for my brother. It seems to work pretty well. I used three coats of the paint. The guitar is quiet unless you get right up next to an amp's transformers.

• Members

I used it on the Stratosquire that I assembled for my brother. It seems to work pretty well. I used three coats of the paint. The guitar is quiet unless you get right up next to an amp's transformers.

lulz, mental image of you ramming a plugged in guitar into the back of a combo amp.

• Members

lulz, mental image of you ramming a plugged in guitar into the back of a combo amp.

After the amount of work I put into it, I don't mind the bit of belt buckle rash it's picked up, but I wouldn't want to see my brother doing Pete Townshend imitations with it.

• Members

where do you buy that? i found some once, but i felt it was terribly expensive (no, i don't recall the price). i ended up buying copper from monteallums.com - what was top notch, heavy duty..

looks like he sells adhesive backed stuff now.. i just used 3m super77 spray adhesive.

Stewmac sells the copper tape for a reasonable price. I like it alot. Conductive adhesive back, solders well, and easy to work with. A roll of the 2 inch stuff will do 2 or three guitars depending on the cavities.

• Members
Stewmac sells the copper tape for a reasonable price. I like it alot. Conductive adhesive back, solders well, and easy to work with. A roll of the 2 inch stuff will do 2 or three guitars depending on the cavities.

Agreed! This is the one product that comes to mind that StewMac sells at a reasonable price. One 2" roll will do probably half a dozen guitars (YMMV). Beware of other foil tapes that don't have conductive backing. If you don't have conduction between all the strips then you've failed to "closed the loop".

• Members

The only Tele I have thats sheilded is my Squier CVC and they use paint and also a bit of foil on the pickguard. When I changed the guard I did not use foil and I find no difference.

sheilding works but its very subltle difference. I mean my Squier is slightly quieter than my other teles but its not really worth doing it to my other ones.

Archived