Electric Guitar Project Build - Vandenberg w/Pics

heem6

• Members

I always wanted a Vandenberg, but never bought one because of their Gibson scale-length.

Our local wood store had a sale on guitar body blanks, and I got a 3-piece mahogany blank for $20. Cut out the basic shape and the routes with some power tools at a friend's house and did the rest by hand sanding and files. DiMarzio D'Activator X bridge pickup, Hot Rails in the neck, both pickups angled with the bass side closer to the bridge for crispness and the treble side angled towards the neck for a deeper tone. Tung Oil finish, AANJ-style neck joint, 2mg Volume Pot, no tone control. Ibanez Super Wizard neck and Gotoh Floyd Rose Trem (makers of teh Ibanez Edge trems). I was hoping to just make a guitar that was playable, but this turned out to be the best playing and sounding guitar in my herd.

My friend Kimberly was nice enuff to pose with my guitar. Hope you enjoy the pics!

Kimberly49.jpg

Kimberly47.jpg

Kimberly12.jpg

Kimberly27.jpg

• Members

The lady below...? You make it sound like she's some random lady at the park that you asked to pose for pics...and she just happened to have a Fender T shirt. If that is what happened then well done! :thu:

Besides all that, that guitar turned out amazing. Nicely done!!! :cool:

• Members

Haha. Thanks for the kind words! I do see the resemblance, now that you mention it! And yes, "This lady"s name is Kimberly, she's a friend from work. I'll go change that wording. I'd love to check out one of those Fernandes-made Vandy's! I've never even see one in person.

Here's a sound clip from the guitar as well, if you're interested.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9441099

• Members

I had a Peavey Vandenburg in about 1988 or 1989. Sweet guitar. Only think I didn't like was the bridge pickup was a bit microphonic.

For strats that tried to be just a little bit different, I think this is one of the best.

Shorter scale never bother me. I just switched from 10s to 11s and it felt about the same.

Nice project! :thu:

• Members

I got that blank at Woodworker's Resource in Phoenix. It was part of some stock they bought from a guitar manufacturer who went out of business, I think. So unfortunately it's not a regular item. You could still find a Mahogany blank there for a reasonable price, though.

I cracked up at both the "You had me at no tone control" and "HM Strat neck" comments, too. Thanks again!

Archived