I'm developing Roland Cube 40 XL GAS

GAS Man

• Members

I used to not be as fond of the Cubes, but I think they've gotten a bit better. I've bought the 30 for my stepson years ago, the microcube and the 20X more recently for myself, but this 40XL has more bells and whistles that are tempting.

My only concern is that the only setting I really like on my 20X is the "TUBE DRIVE" model and I don't see that on the 40XL, :confused: so I'd have to hope that one of its models is as good.

[video=youtube;m5H6hk8yA-s]

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube40XL-40W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H68598

• Members

Nothing more than a "What a dork lol" comment?

Am I the only one that finds this new offering from Roland a bit tempting for $199? (2x2 channel mode)

I'm looking at it as a home practice amp and the "no worries" SS build.

I also like that it now has plate and spring reverb. The reverb in my other Rolands sound more like hall reverb.

777330.jpg

• Members

When I first bought my 20X (with only an 8") I didn't care for it. I was playing it in my large living room (which free flows into the dining room area and kitchen) and it didn't work to well in that room. But once I settled on the TUBE DRIVE Channel and moved it into my much smaller guest bedroom/office/music room/now "man cave", I found that it pressurized that room much better. So I'm sure the 10 will be all I need and an upgrade. But they are also coming out with the 12" 80XL version.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube80XL-80W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H68600
. But once you get up to $349, then some of the charm for me starts to dissipate. Plus I think the 10 will fit my space better.

Nope, it doesn't look like it.
:(
I'm thinking that's a low level out only. Makes you wonder why they don't add an extension cab outlet.

Looks like the 80XL has an extention speaker outlet jack...but you're right, $349 is just a little too much...$299 would be sweet.

• Members

Looks like the 80XL has an extention speaker outlet jack...but you're right, $349 is just a little too much...$299 would be sweet.

I'd bet you'll be able to work a deal with a dealer for a price around that in the not too distant future.

• Members

I may be in the minority here, but I just cannot get myself to like the Cube series of amps. The only model that really sounds good is the JC Clean setting. Everything else just sounds meh, IMO.

That's sort of the caveat I stated in the OP. On my 20X the TUBE DRIVE mode actually makes the JC Clean mode sound "meh" (and I really only like the JC Clean mode if I'm using an external OD/Dist or Fuzz pedal), but the rest of them I agree are kinda "meh" sounding to me, although I do find its METAL STACK to be amusing. I can get a "brown sound" out of it at modest volume levels which is a nice trick. So I'd like to know if the 40XL would be able to bring a good substitute for my TUBE DRIVE mode that's on the 20. My 20X is however lacking the Black Face, Brit, Tweed and Classic that the 40XL has so one of those might do the trick for me. Besides the 3 I mentioned above, my 20X also has ACOUSTIC, OVERDRIVE, DISTORTION, & METAL - the last 3 of which I haven't found useful to me.

• Members

love the Cubes - I have 3 models : 30x, a battery-powered Street and a pair of CM 30s

indestructable, loud and easy to dial-in great tones plus the JC clean setting is just so tits - I love the sound of my strat neck pickup thru the JC setting more than I love food

looks like the 40xl is an advanced version of the 30x with the addition of a looper, an octaver, a boost button(memory), another hi-gain setting and they've moved the 'verb setting to a third knob - all at $50(street) less than I paid for the 30x - that's astonishing

http://www.roland.com/products/en/image_closeup.cfm?imgsrc=%2E%2E%2Fen%2FCUBE%2D40XL%2F%2E%2E%2FCUBE%2D40XL%2Fimages%2Fimage%5F02%5FL%2Ejpg&alt=IMAGE%20GALLERY%20%3A%20CLOSE%20UP&title=Roland%20CUBE%2D40XL%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20%3A%3A%20Products%20%3A%3A%20Roland

If I needed a new amp, wouldn't think twice about what to get

Archived