I think VIDEO killed the Video Star.

GAS Man

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Na....I think those types of bands were just what they were. A slice of a certain time. Happens in every era. Most bands just don't make it through to span multiple decades. Say what you will about a band like U2 but the fact is there are not many bands like them who can remain pretty relevant and release music that seems to capture fresh vibes.

This is just my opinion...and I think their lack of success later on supports this opinion to some degree....but bands like this really just started to write some pretty {censored} music after their big hits.

That is a kick ass live version of I want a new drug though...I always thought that was an amazing song.

• Members

GREAT version of New Drug. Makes me really remember why I like The News so much when that song came out.

Just downloaded a couple great Huey Lewis tunes a couple of days ago, both of them remakes, both really enjoyable.

Check them out.

This one is free @ Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Respect-Yourself/dp/B0043UJ2WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293248446&sr=8-1

And this from iTunes (Huey Lewis w/ Tower of Power):

ishot1-3.jpg

• Members

Personally, I wish the New Wave music from that era had lasted much longer. I love it.
:thu:

I found it odd recently - with a new car that I once again suckered into XM Radio - flipping channels I found I could hang out longer on the 80s channel. Who'd a thunk it. But the music tended to be pretty tight and the most of it was fairly light in mood an not as heavey as music from the late 60s/early 70s. I'd still put down on an ap that the latter was my fave, but not according to my recent channel selections.

A few guilty pleasures of the 80s

[video=youtube;86MY-quTiJs]

[video=youtube;kLBZjdrKSpY]

[video=youtube;dk4WRhPQuyo]

[video=youtube;dHYnS9Dm-g8]

[video=youtube;f55KlPe81Yw]

(also late 70s) but also had that New Wave punk sound

[video=youtube;s48kuKLf0mE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s48kuKLf0mE

More guilties

[video=youtube;7movKfyTBII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII

[video=youtube;MeG-hNXXy6I]

• Members

Pop was probably the best it's ever been in the 80's in my opinion. Song writing was great, musicianship was great..production...well OK, production was mostly too over the top, but whatever...

As a teen of the 80's (and a metal head to boot) I could never acknowledge the "guilty pleasures" back in the day. But now I don't even refer to them as guilty pleasures....What I realize now is that I was just much more open minded about what type of music I liked than most of my friends were. And I liked a much wider variety of music than any of them did.

So now I just call them what they are. Great {censored}ing songs. If other people can't get past the hair and image to actually hear the music, that's their problem.

• Members

^^^ Haven't seen much like that since. Although a few songs pop up every now and then that can transport you emotionally in a fairly dramatic but pleasing way.

[video=youtube;hcJZOX7_AOk]

But I don't see much consistency from Death Cab or any other recent band that comes to mind. But I imagine Death Cab as an Indie-rock band was not aiming for a song that was somewhat reminiscent of 80s pop.

• Members

Oh well, back to the 80s

[video=youtube;ST86JM1RPl0]

[video=youtube;nAdaQhitdKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdaQhitdKg

[video=youtube;kOnde5c7OG8]

One of the sweetest songs of the era

[video=youtube;J9gKyRmic20]

German New Wave punk

[video=youtube;jQYQTFudrqc]

[video=youtube;gkLL7JdnIk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLL7JdnIk0

now what happened to that guy again -

got my spine got my orange crush

[video=youtube;UWiKPCQsPkQ]

• Members

I love all those songs. Great stuff.

[video=youtube;HGDmBLAPikU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDmBLAPikU

[video=youtube;8NF6Qa84mno]

[video=youtube;VPgHbt0ODr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgHbt0ODr4

[video=youtube;FcchCQuXrH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcchCQuXrH8

[video=youtube;vHpNHLS0Q48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpNHLS0Q48

• Members

This song from Simply Red is kind of interesting in that it takes some of the flavor of the 80s and mixes it a bit with the smooth MOR (middle of the road) sounds of the late 60s. Like this YT comment said, "What a beautifully? written song...absolutely timeless."

[video=youtube;yG07WSu7Q9w]

He sounds like a chick. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Members

^^^and there we go.^^^^

A perfect example of what I was talking about. Image is more important than substance.

"I can't like a Huey Lewis song because I think of him as a dork so if I actually give him credit for having some good songs I might be considered a dork too."

And it's "talk about someone..." not "talking"..

idiot.

• Members

^^^ Huey Lewis = Substance??? ^^^

WTF were you sniffing back in the 80s to think that Huey Dumb{censored} Lewis ever did anything better than cause millions of impressionable empty headed nitwits to go out and impulse-buy millions of his vinyl albums and 45 RPM singles, which effectively wasted untold thousands of barrels of crude oil to manufacture those vinyl albums containing his ignorant wretched pop music.

• Members

I don't necessarily get the Huey Lewis hate. It doesn't matter to me, I've never bought any of his stuff, but part of why I used him as an example, is that I think as a musical entertainer, he was more bona fide than his MTV hits would lead one to believe. He may have been over hyped by them, but if he were playing nearby, I'd still want to see him put on a show. Showmanship is a bit part of the gig and I think he's got some dedication going to his art, harmonica and voice.

[video=youtube;efo4vxjAdws]

What's your beef with him?

• Members

I think you're scapegoating MTV when all you're really talking about here is the same "sophomore jinx" that bands have pretty much always faced. The formula:

1. Band makes good album.

2. Song off album becomes a "hit."

3. Record label sees opportunity. Fronts a loan to the band for heavier promotion.

4. National tours, videos, frequent radio play, etc.

5. A couple more hits.

6. Album goes platinum, band still in debt.

7. HUGE pressure to crank out another album to capitalize on promotional momentum with new content to sell. Band in debt can't argue with that logic.

8. Band frantically writes new songs and rushes out new album.

9. New album sucks. Everybody now {censored}ing hates Hootie and the Blowfish.

Same old story, same old song.

• Members

Sting with a Casio digital watch.

A Healey 3000.

Bryan Ferry and Phil Manzanera's classic guitar.

Roland Gift.

Midge Ure -the REAL Live Aid genius.

the angst of Neil Finn.

Mick Hucknall dancing on stage to the orgasmic delight of the (mostly) female part of the audience....

aaaaaaahhhhhhh nostalgia is not only a thing of the past

mind you the 80s had its share of crap too. Bananarama, Haircut 100, Right Said Fred, Dexie's Midnight Runners feat Kevin Rowlands dungarees.........stop me now.

• Members

^^^ Huey Lewis = Substance??? ^^^

WTF were you sniffing back in the 80s to think that Huey Dumb{censored} Lewis ever did anything better than cause millions of impressionable empty headed nitwits to go out and impulse-buy millions of his vinyl albums and 45 RPM singles, which effectively wasted untold thousands of barrels of crude oil to manufacture those vinyl albums containing his ignorant wretched pop music.

yeah...now you just sound like a whinny little kid trying argue his opinion as fact. What? Did Huey bang your mom or something, and you haven't been able to forgive him for not sticking around?

• Members

[video=youtube;-OO9LloDSJo]

I saw him a couple years ago at a local arts council theater. I has to be one of the best shows I have seen. The guy was great in this small venue and really put on a fantastic show. Funny thing is I really didn't want to go, but my wife made me....Bless her heart.

• Members

Whenever I think of Huey Lewis, I think of this-

[video=youtube;vzN3qO-qc8U]

Huey Lewis epitomizes everything I hate about the '80s- the vapid soullessness of the yuppie Reagan era. His songs were trite and overproduced. "Hip To Be Square" in particular annoys me with it's endorsement of mindless conformity. I spent the '80s in a completely different world with bands like the Replacements, Minutemen and Dream Syndicate. To each his own, though.

• Members

Huey Lewis epitomizes everything I hate about the '80s- the vapid soullessness of the yuppie Reagan era. His songs were trite and overproduced. "Hip To Be Square" in particular annoys me with it's endorsement of mindless conformity. I spent the '80s in a completely different world with bands like the Replacements, Minutemen and Dream Syndicate. To each his own, though.

Well I agree that was a {censored} song and album...(and that is a great scene)....sports did still have some "soul" in it in my opinion. Tight and well written songs. Just because Huey had some stupid lyrics didn't mean his band couldn't play.

And I like the replacements too...but there was a pretty clear reason they never made it any bigger than they did. I mean seriously Paul...can you write something other than a song that has a constant repetitive 1/8th note strum pattern over 3 chords? I know there are that crowd that think they were more cool in the 80's cause they were into the college rock...but really...they weren't.

• Members

I used to think all 80's music was {censored}e, but I've since realized that every era has it's share of major stinkers and the 80's had a ton of killer music. Here are a few more of my favorites:

Yeah, there were quite a few bands that "passed through" the 80s also leaving a big mark that I avoided listing because they were much more than an 80s band. Stray Cats is definitely one of them. Also Dire Straits, tail end of Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Prince, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Tina Turner, Steve Winwood, Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Queen, The Pretenders, Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/Genesis, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams (he's debatable - maybe he does belong to the 80s), The Cars, David Bowie, Guns n Roses, Heart, Joan Jett, etc.

• Members

That's a fave movie of mine. Not the violence aspect which was more of the frame, but all the tongue in cheek jabs making fun of the early 80s Yuppies. Stuff like the "business cards", cell phones, and the biggest horror of all, the specter of bad behavior devaluing Manhattan real-estate being about the worst breech, well that and being uncouth.

Archived