RMEAD!!!!! Fernandes Vertigo. PRETTY pics inside!

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

(recent musical equipment acquisition day)

So my Fernandes gas started when a friend posted lyrics from the band Norma Jean as his FB status. It reminded me of him always blasting that crap and I got to watching their vids on youtube. I noticed their guitar player used a Vertigo. I thought it looked awesome, gas ensued.

I then got to browsing on fleabay. Saw a junker orange one, but didn't follow through with the auction. I then saw my new baby, guy had the "Make an Offer" so I made a throwaway low-ball offer and the dude took it. Nice.

The thing is awesome. I absolutely love it. I mean, the features are great:

-Mahogany body and set mahogany neck

-5a Canadian (w/e that means) flamed maple top

-Body, neck, and headstock binding

-Fancy inlays

-Grover tuners

-Duncan Full Shred HBs

-Gigantic frets... not sure exact size, but the biggest I've seen, which I love.

Aside from all that , the feel is fantastic. I didn't feel the need to remove the truss rod cover or anything, it is perfectly set-up, and intonated. Plays as well as my LP. I just love it. The crazy shape is balanced and comfy. I like the feel of a larger guitar body when standing and playing, and while it's not huge, it's bigger than an LP so it's a little more comfortable to play standing.

It's got a nice arm contour and tummy-cut that add to the comfort. Neck dive isn't an issue either.

Neck profile is alllllllmost a bit to wide for me. I wish it were a touch narrower at the nut, but it's still pretty nice. I like chunky necks, and this one is definitely a meaty s.o.b.

Our band is playing a new years eve show at the Melody Inn here in Indy, and this will replace the Gibson as the #1 gig geetar. It's just a little more "me" than my LP. So, without further dudes, the PICS:

DSCN0717.jpg

The case had narry a mark on it, in fact the whole guitar is basically brand new, minus the case candy.

DSCN0718.jpg

Had to put my band's logo feces on the ole case... less permanent than the spray paint/stencil deal. Also, the couch sticker.

DSCN0722.jpg

Ah, lovely. I like the gloss, but I may attempt to convert it to satin... I need some 1,000,000 grit sandpaper.

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0733.jpg

COIL TAP!!!!!!!! This was a very pleasant surprise. The auction didn't mention this. Dude might not have known. Extremely versatile. Tele twang and strat quick are just a flick of the wrist away. Full Shreds sound great clean, btw. A very nice pickup.

DSCN0734.jpg

DSCN0735.jpg

I love the HS, funky without being obnoxious. Tasty.

DSCN0736.jpg

Baby's got back. Look at how pretty that is. LOOK I SAY!!!

DSCN0743.jpg

A final shot of her with her strap. Personally I think that strap looks titties. It's shiny!!! I also like a slicker strap that moves around. The wool one I had got really good traction on my shoulder which I found kinda constricting, I dunno.

Well anyways, hope you like it. I know I'm just happy as a clam. Practice tonight, CAN'T WAIT!!!!! Thanks for looking and validating my purchase by saying "woo hoo!"

• Members

Thanks guys!!!! I am quite happy.

Just for fun, here's a couple Norma Jean vids. First one is like their "freebird" and in the 2nd vid, both guitar players have Vertigos.

If anyone watches both of these all the way through... you are stronger than I. This "music" makes my skin crawl. I'm 23 and find myself feeling far too old for it, but I do like their gits!!!

[video=youtube;agdu9IQoywE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdu9IQoywE

[video=youtube;I9720uHPsWY]

• Members

Very Sweeeet! I really wanted one of those (exact same model and color) a couple of years ago, but the GAS subsided. I've never found one to pick up and play, but I always supected they'd be comfy. Let us know if it's a suitable LP replacement.

Big Congrats,

D

• Members

Very Sweeeet! I really wanted one of those (exact same model
and
color) a couple of years ago, but the GAS subsided. I've never found one to pick up and play, but I always supected they'd be comfy. Let us know if it's a suitable LP replacement.

Big Congrats,

D

As far as I can tell, it is a fantastic Les Paul replacement. So long as you're not a stickler for the 60's slim taper neck, it's an LP Killer for me. I'll update after practice, but near as I can tell, she's my new #1.

• Members

Congrats man, Fernandes has some of the coolest retro-modern designs out there IMO. It's a shame they get overlooked so often.....

I have a Fernandes Revolver; it looks incredible and is nearly perfect besides a fret finishing issue. It's a good enough guitar that I'm considering getting the whole thing refretted with SS.

Archived