iiiVoy a ir a Chile!!!

• Members

Just sharin'. I love to travel, and it looks like in 2-3 months, depending on whatever, I'm bound for the high desert in Chile! Lookin' at flights right now and trying to plan a few things.

I'll spend three weeks in the Atacama Desert, including most likely going to Bolivia to see these amazing mirror-like salt plains called Salar de Uyuni, and then seeing geysers, weird formations, lagoons, sand dunes, and other fun stuff. There's a bunch of tour operators there, so I'll take a bunch of trips. I can also ride the bike over to Valle de la Luna if I wish, although I'd probably have to start early before the sun beats the crap out of me.

I am also interested in visiting one of the telescopes, but I don't know how near they are or how to get there (yet).

And speaking of observing space through telescopes, there's this:

We offer a general star tours each clear night, apart from a 5 days period around the full moon. They allow people without any prior knowledge of the sky to understand how to look at it, and observe as well through powerful telescopes, and discover a new world, our universe ! And from one of the best place on Earth to see the sky, the Atacama desert.

Our agency is located on Caracoles street 166 (Caracoles is San Pedro's main street). It is opened from 11h30 to 15h30, then from 18h00 to 21h00.

We give these tours either in english, in french or in spanish. While the most frequent, it is not guaranteed we have an english speaking tour every night.

We try during the first part of the tour to explain the naked eye sky. What do we see when we look at the stars, what is a constellation, how to learn them, how to read a sky map and recognize the main stars. We use a green laser pointer to show you unambiguously the various constellations.

When the moon is visible, it is possible to take images of it through the telescopes, either with digital cameras, or with reflex (we have adapters for Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax cameras).

• Members

Ken,

Good trip.... we share a love of travel. I just got back from a (too) short trip to Iceland and am heading to Eastern Europe in September. Where you are headed sounds very cool. Enjoy and take lots of great pics.

• Members

It should be great fun.

RJT, I actually was *trying* to go to Iceland, but between the cost and something falling through, it didn't happen this year. But I am still going to a place with otherworldly terrain, geysers, mountains, lagoons, and odd rock formations, so it's all good.

• Members

I assume you will be checking out the music scene there also? The first band that I recorded after purchasing my Tascam 80-8 was "Zokalo" from Chile. They came in to do a "demo" and ended up pressing an album from the sessions. This is their "drum solo song". Three mics on the drums, two overheads (Neumann U-67) and another on the kick that I can't recall, possibly an RE-20. The first day of the session was new year's day 1977. Sounds like one of the generations between then and now got a bit overloaded on parts. http://soundcloud.com/richard-king/talking-with-my-drums-zokalo

Archived