NGD w/ SHORT REVIEW...DBZ Bolero ST

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I don't post every new guitar. But this one is a bit off the beaten path - I thought people might be interested in hearing more about the DBZ's. DBZ is Dean Zelinsky's (of Dean Guitars) new company. J&R has quite a few of these - I could not resist the Bolero in Walnut.

THE GOOD: There is a lot of good here. Build quality is very good. They make some USA made models- this one is MIC. I am a better player on this guy than almost any other. Don't know why. The PUP's are great, and very versatile. They have a clear, but full sound, and a spanky, almost raw tone. I know some of these ways of describing the pup's seem contradictory, but I don't know how else to describe them. I don't see much details on the PUP's - but I'm trying to get more info, cause I like them so much. They are not harsh - but have more zap to them then say a Gibson Classic 57 PUP. They can do clean, vintage, classic, and very high gain as well. What more can you ask form a PUP? Although the literature of the ST model does not sway coil tap - they DO have coil taps. (A mistake in their advertising.) There is good higher register access The tuners are very good. Single tone, single volume, and coil tap. The body is very comfortable for me. It is light - but not too light. It weighs around 7 lbs.

THE BAD: Not much bad here. I wish the wood grain had shown through better on the top of the body - but that is a pretty small complaint. This has the "V" neck. This may be a negative to some people - not for me.

SUMMARY: Boy I really like this little guy. Comfy. Very nice player. 9 out of 10 on the PUP's. How does this compare to the best I've ever played? Man it is close - really.

pics...

BOLERO_1.JPG

BOLERO_2.JPG

BOLERO_3.JPG

BOLERO_4.JPG

BOLERO_5.JPG

• Members

sweet. What did you part for it, $ wise, if I may ask?

You may ask indeed. J&R has certain models of the Bolero at around $350 shipped, and up from there depending on the model. IMHO they are worth a few hundred bucks anyway - probably more in terms of quality, versatility.

Oh Lamb Chop loves it. It makes me happy - so that makes Lamb Chop happy.

Thanks all.

• Members

HNGD!!!!!

How's it compare to to a soltero? I think you had one, didn't you?

I actually never had a Soltero. I thought this question would come up though. I believe the body is a bit longer on the Bolero. Not sure of the other differences, PUP's, etc.

• Members

I actually never had a Soltero. I thought this question would come up though. I believe the body is a bit longer on the Bolero. Not sure of the other differences, PUP's, etc.

I'm sorry, I could have sworn you bought one and didn't care too much for it. HNGD, anyway! That is a beauty! I love that color.

• Members

HNGD!

Don't know much about DBZ, but after a quick look at their website I'm definitely GASing for an Imperial.

No kidding. They have some sweet axes, but can get a little pricier than some. That Bolero is just fantastic though. HNGD!!!

Archived