Help me choose a Les Paul

chiro972

• Members

So I'm looking for a les paul. I have nothing but single coil guitars and I want one humbucker and I figure it might as well be a lester. I am looking at three used ones. Can you tell me which you would pick and why?

1. 1998 Studio wine color looks 9/10 $800 asking price

2. Early 80's Epiphone Les Paul. MIJ with the open book gibson style headstock that has epiphone inlaid in pearl (or plastic, whatever they used back then) $600 looks 9/10

3. TV yellow gibby LP special faded double cut. Bridge pup not working (I assume a replacement needed, even though it might just be a solder.) looks 8/10 $550 asking price. (He has lowered the price already, I might be able to get it for a few bucks less if the guy needs the $$

So which would you choose and why? I know we all have personal opinions that may differ, but I'd love everyone's input anyway.

Thanks!

• Members

2. Early 80's Epiphone Les Paul. MIJ with the open book gibson style headstock that has epiphone inlaid in pearl (or plastic, whatever they used back then) $600 looks 9/10

Epiphone didn't start making Les Paul's until 1989 and those were made in Korea, although they did have an open-book headstock and long tenon neck.

I absolutely love the Doublecut Special Faded.

• Members

I'm not nuts about any of those prices. You should also put your hands on them before making decisions. Most Gibsons are pretty hit-or-miss. Some Studios are magical, some Historics are pretty weak. If you like one of them, and can get the seller to drop $100, any would be fine.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. The guess on the age of the epi was a total guess. It is lovely and I know that 80's japanese pauls are sought over, but I have no idea how those old Epi's are. I am assuming the quality should be on par with the elitists of a few years ago, but I don't know that.

The double cut special is really calling out to me.

Anyone know if they are severely neck heavy??

• Members

3. TV yellow gibby LP special faded double cut. Bridge pup not working (I assume a replacement needed, even though it might just be a solder.) looks 8/10 $550 asking price. (He has lowered the price already, I might be able to get it for a few bucks less if the guy needs the $$

Again, way too high! 550 for a faded with a pickup that needs to be replaced?

I'd get the LP Studio personally but it's really preference. Etiher way, I think you need to look around a bit more or negotiate here, man.

• Members

The double cut special is really calling out to me.

Anyone know if they are severely neck heavy??

I don't recall them being offensive. However, considering there was a used one in a local chain guitar store (ie Daddy's) for $500 in perfect working condition and a bruise on the front, I'd start at $400.

• Members

So which would you choose and why? I know we all have personal opinions that may differ, but I'd love everyone's input anyway.

Thanks!

OK, if you're coming from a Fender-style background, it would be a good idea to get a feel for the various Gibson neck shapes. My first Les Paul had a 50s neck, and I never could bond with it. Now, I have a 60s neck Les Paul, and it's my favorite guitar.

I'm pretty sure the guitars you listed all have the 50s neck.

• Members

Number 3 draws me the most mostly because I think it's priced better than the others. $800 just seems a bit high for a '98 Studio, OTOH, you say it's a 9/10. The MIJ Epi is also a bit intriguing because of the design which makes it more rare in our market. But if you could get the Special for 5 and all it needs is a solder, then I think that would be a cool score. I'm assuming that was a P-90 model?

• Members

You should also put your hands on them before making decisions.

This. Gibsons tend to have more variance between individual guitars, due to the way they are assembled - they're not like a bolt-together Fender where the quality of the individual components determines the quality of the final product.

If you haven't played each of them, you cannot evaluate them.

• Members

Sorry, yes the special is a dual p-90 guitar. I figured if I wanted the dual buckers, I could swap out for some p-90 sized buckers in the future.

Is that Daddy's store one that ships? Do they have a website?

Thanks for the reply's folks. They are helpful indeed. Still open to more opinions.

• Members

The MIJ Epiphones were made for the Japanese market. Gibson discontinued the Orville line in 1998 but the Fujigen factory continued to make those same guitars but with Epiphone on the headstock.

I had a '99 and it was every bit as good as the '71 LP and the '68 RI LPC I have now. Excellent guitars.

• Members
Epiphone didn't start making Les Paul's until 1989 and those were made in Korea, although they did have an open-book headstock and long tenon neck.

I absolutely love the Doublecut Special Faded.

Epiphone Elitist made in JApan and had the headstock...and if that is what it is, I would buy, as it is better than the USA gibbos.:thu:

• Members

Epiphone Elitist made in JApan and had the headstock...and if that is what it is, I would buy, as it is better than the USA gibbos.
:thu:

The Japanese Elite/Elitist had a similar headstock, but it wasn't open-book.

ELLPS-VS_headstock-front.jpg

ELLPS-VS_headstock-back.jpg

The Korean '89 looked like this:

1989_EpiLP_11.jpg

That said, if it is an Elite/Elitist $800 is pretty decent price. As 67mike said, they're known to be great guitars; only differing from Gibson's in the fact that they have a poly finish instead of nitro and they're not made in Kalamazoo, Nashville or Memphis (if it's a white Custom).

• Members

Thanks for the replies. It wasn't an elitist. If it was, I'd be all over it if it wasn't too heavy as some of them were. The headstock even looks a bit different from the korean that sk8 posted. It actually looks exactly the same as gibson but it says epiphone. I'm down to that one and the special.

Does anyone know if the double cut specials have ever been counterfeited? Do I need to worry about that? I know the obvious clues to look for (three screw truss rod, asian TOM) but I see some of the counterfeiters are getting clever and fixing those gaffes. This one is definitely in played condition, so I don't expect that from a POS fake.

Archived