Dilemma, help me choose

awd83

• Members

Ok, here's the problem. I really, really, want a Slash Appetite for Destruction LP (mainly for the looks, even though I'm a huge Slash fan). I can't justify $2500 for the Gibson, or even the $1000 for the Epi version, and even if I could justify it, I couldn't afford one just because I want a similar looking guitar. I already have a pretty good guitar, so this probably won't be my number 1.

So, since I don't really care about the name on the headstock, and since finances force me into something cheaper, I'm thinking Xaviere XV-599 Lemondrop or Agile AL-2000 HSBF, that at least has the same sort of look about it. Here are my pro's and cons as to what I value in each.

Xaviere Pro's: new headstock looks much better than old, zebra pickups - right color for the AFD and probably sound a little better than stock Agile

Xaviere Con's: tiny little star shaped inlays instead of block, quilt finish instead of flame

Agile Pro's: flame finish closer to AFD, block inlays, better looking headstock of the two choices

Agile Con's: chrome covered p/u's, weight

So I guess it comes down to the Xaviere winning on pickups, Agile winning based on overall looks. Since they're approximately the same price, which do you think I should go with?

Thanks.

• Members

I have not played either, but the Agile has a veneer top, thinner nut width, and crappy pickups. The Xaviere has a 3/4" maple top with a veneer flame top, and the normal Gibson nut width. It has GFS pups, which people here seem to like. Two differences that stick out to me. I like the looks of the Agile better, but I can't play the thinner nut width of Agiles.

• Members

I have not played either, but the Agile has a veneer top, thinner nut width, and crappy pickups. The Xaviere has a 3/4" maple top with a veneer flame top, and the normal Gibson nut width. It has GFS pups, which people here seem to like. Two differences that stick out to me. I like the looks of the Agile better, but I can't play the thinner nut width of Agiles.

The nut width doesn't bother me, its the same as on my Soltero. I know most here rave about the GFS pickups, but I've heard conflicting stories on how good they really are, as well as hearing that the Agile p/u's are pretty good too. This is my dilemma, and why it's such a hard decision. I really like the block inlays, and that's the only thing I don't really like about the Xaviere. Guitarfetish has already told me that they probably won't ever offer block inlays. The quilt is fine, just nothing like the AFD.

• Members

Based on the two you list, if it's the look you're after, then I'd go with the Agile and swap the pups.

I think this is probably the eventual route, I'll just have to wait a while before I can swap them out.

• Members

I understand wanting a guitar that appeals to you visually, but as an observation if I may, it seems you are putting an awful lot of stock in the look of the guitar and that Slash endorses it over the feel and sound of it.

By all means if you want a figured gold / lemon top then look for models as such that give you the playability you need. Don't get sucked into a name

Yes, the Agiles are nice, but as mentioned the nut is 1 5/8. The Xavieres are OK too, but I've read a lot of hit and miss quality issues (that said I've never heard of Jay failing to make something right, or Kurt at Rondo for that matter, either on Agiles)

You could also consider some of the Japanese lines like Edwards http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/spec/e-lp-85sd-lh.html

• Members

This is going to be my #2 guitar, and I can't justify anything over about 250 to my wife, so I'm sorta stuck with the Agile/Xaviere models, which I don't think is a bad thing, as far as bang for my buck. I've played the Epi AFD guitar and I really liked it, but it's $999, about $751 over my budget, and I've never seen an Edwards go for $250, if so, please point me in that direction.

I figure for the price tag, and my expectations (read...not a Gibson), I could do much worse than either. Also, since I already have my #1, I don't care it looks better than it plays, it'll be a great piece of wall art!

My hands aren't huge, and I'm used to the narrow nut, so that's not a problem. I do, basically, want a lemondrop/honey sunburst LP, and these are the only 2 that I'm aware of in that price range. If there are others that offer at least a decent level of quality and customer service, please suggest, but I'm afraid that $250 is a pretty limited field.

I do appreciate the suggestions, don't get me wrong, but I'm pigeonholed into these two options, just wanted to see what you guys thought was the better of those two, unless you can suggest a $250 medium quality axe. Thanks.

• Members

This is going to be my #2 guitar, and I can't justify anything over about 250 to my wife, so I'm sorta stuck with the Agile/Xaviere models, which I don't think is a bad thing, as far as bang for my buck. I've played the Epi AFD guitar and I really liked it, but it's $999, about $751 over my budget, and I've never seen an Edwards go for $250, if so, please point me in that direction.

I figure for the price tag, and my expectations (read...not a Gibson), I could do much worse than either. Also, since I already have my #1, I don't care it looks better than it plays, it'll be a great piece of wall art!

My hands aren't huge, and I'm used to the narrow nut, so that's not a problem. I do, basically, want a lemondrop/honey sunburst LP, and these are the only 2 that I'm aware of in that price range. If there are others that offer at least a decent level of quality and customer service, please suggest, but I'm afraid that $250 is a pretty limited field.

I do appreciate the suggestions, don't get me wrong, but I'm pigeonholed into these two options, just wanted to see what you guys thought was the better of those two, unless you can suggest a $250 medium quality axe. Thanks.

If you prefer the feel of the small nut, and your $ limits what it is then I'd go Agile. Definitely good bang for the buck there

• Members

I'm not trying to start nuthin, just curious what he meant, did he mean GFS p/u's in an agile is sacriledge, or what?

I guess some people would question the reasoning of buying an Agile and putting GFS pickups in it, when you can get the same (in many respects) guitar with GFS pickups already installed from Xaviere. Either that, or the people who whine that anything other than Gibson guitars and hand-wound boutique pickups is a waste of time will just go crazy. I guess I haven't spent enough time around here to know exactly why that would be an issue. The best guess is probably that the cork sniffers will have a fit, though.

The one Agile I played needed no pickup change. They sounded good as-is.

Archived