advice on 15in guitar speakers

MichaelYoung

• Members

One disadvantage is a lot of folks will feel the 15s put out too much bottom end. Same reason a lot of folks prefer four 10s to 1 or 2 12s.

I only have one 1x15 and it's a Weber Michigan which is their take on a EVM 12L or SRO... something in that ballpark. It has a LOT of bottom end. It's great for smokey, jazzy clean stuff above the bottom octave on the guitar, but MAN does it have a lot of bottom end.

:lol:

Doc Morbius has a Silverface Vibrosonic which is the 1x15" version of the Twin Reverb... I LOVE it. His has the righteous JBL D130. Nice and surfy. More than anything, the difference between that and his other Twins is with the one 15" vs the two 12"s, it actually has a tiny bit of breakup around 3.5 or so on the volume, but it still feel like it's moving roughly the same amount of air.

There's a surf band we see pretty regularly and the lead guitarist rocks a Gomez amp with a big 2x15 cab with, I think, D130s but I definitely have my facts mixed up. He sounds phenomenal! I mean, outstanding. Every once in a while, it sounds like there's a tad too much treble going on, but overall, I'd say he has one of the best loud/clean/strat/reverb/surf tones I've ever heard.

Are you planning on replacing some 12"s with some 15"s or actually purely adding 15"s?

• Members

The only 15" Ive played that worked well with guitar is the ones used in Eden Nemesis combos and cabs, which of course also have compression tweeter in the cab to. Normally 15" speakers are to woompy, bass accenting to work well with guitar in my experience. Since I play bass, guitar, and synths, useing speakers that work well for all instruments is very important to me.

• Members

thinking about adding two 15s to my guitar rig. what are some advantages and disadvantages to doing this? what are some good 15" speakers to get?

Frankly, I think that would look stupid. I mean, where would you put them on your guitar? They would get in the way of your strings and make picking a real chore. So you would be a lot better off putting them in a speaker cabinet.:)

• Members

thinking about adding two 15s to my guitar rig. what are some advantages and disadvantages to doing this? what are some good 15" speakers to get?

Fender used to pair a JBL loaded 2x15" cab with their Dual Showman amps, great clean strat amp.

• Members

Frankly, I think that would look stupid. I mean, where would you put them on your guitar? They would get in the way of your strings and make picking a real chore. So you would be a lot better off putting them in a speaker cabinet.
:)

WutYouDidjpg.png

• Members

I think there are many misconceptions about 15" speaks. They don't necessarily have more bass response. Some 10"s are tuned to emphasize bass freq. much more.

The ones I have owned ( 1 in a 65RI twin Custom 15, returned) and the peavey classic 115E cab that I have are not bassy. In fact, they both(especially the fender) have more treble response than my 12' speakers in my mesa rec 2x12 cab(very bassy) and my marshall 1960 4x12.

But I am sure it depends much on the speaker. Just saying you can't assume that 15" = bass.

In fact, the fender 15" was thin. Sent it back and got a '65 twin 2x12! Much better, and fuller!

It's definitely true that larger speakers don't equal more bass, but if you go from a 12" JBL D120 to a 15" JBL D130, there's a pretty good chance there will be a bit more bottom end and generally both more volume capability and more efficiency.

Of course, comparing a 15" Jensen to a 12" JBL or EV... all bets are off, but when moving up in size within the same line of speakers, usually larger speakers put out a bit more bottom end than the smaller ones.

Right? :idk:

• Members

I have a 1x15 Ampeg Gemini II combo and I have tried a few different speakers. A JBL D-130F is the bee's knees in this amp - I had one in a similar amp a few decades ago. Presently I am using a Weber 15A150 and it sounds terrific and well balanced. The Eminence Legend 158 is a very nice 15" speaker and it sounds great too. Ted Weber makes a couple of different 15s as does, I would imagine that a Weber California (JBL-like), Michigan (EV-like), or Chicago (Jensen-like) would all sound great. Eminence makes a hemp-cone 15 (Canis major). If it sounds as good as the Cannabis rex 12" it will be terrific. Eminence also makes a couple of standard paper coned speakers.

• Members

Frankly, I think that would look stupid. I mean, where would you put them on your guitar? They would get in the way of your strings and make picking a real chore. So you would be a lot better off putting them in a speaker cabinet.
:)

:facepalm::lol: I think you'd end up with a very heavy guitar as well.

15" speakers are like 15" penises. They go deeper.:poke::lol:

• Members

When I played guitar in a band many years ago, my absolute best tone came from 2 Jensen P-15N speakers from the late 50's early 60's. Now I use JBL D-140's, and EV SRO"s for bass. Always loved 2x15's the best, however, I have some 2-12, 4-12, and 4-10 cabs that work fine.

• Members

One disadvantage is a lot of folks will feel the 15s put out too much bottom end. Same reason a lot of folks prefer four 10s to 1 or 2 12s.

I only have one 1x15 and it's a Weber Michigan which is their take on a EVM 12L or SRO... something in that ballpark. It has a LOT of bottom end. It's great for smokey, jazzy clean stuff above the bottom octave on the guitar, but MAN does it have a lot of bottom end.

:lol:

Doc Morbius has a Silverface Vibrosonic which is the 1x15" version of the Twin Reverb... I LOVE it. His has the righteous JBL D130. Nice and surfy. More than anything, the difference between that and his other Twins is with the one 15" vs the two 12"s, it actually has a tiny bit of breakup around 3.5 or so on the volume, but it still feel like it's moving roughly the same amount of air.

There's a surf band we see pretty regularly and the lead guitarist rocks a Gomez amp with a big 2x15 cab with, I think, D130s but I definitely have my facts mixed up. He sounds phenomenal! I mean, outstanding. Every once in a while, it sounds like there's a tad too much treble going on, but overall, I'd say he has one of the best loud/clean/strat/reverb/surf tones I've ever heard.

Are you planning on replacing some 12"s with some 15"s or actually purely adding 15"s?

i am planning on adding a 2 15" cab... so i will be using a 4 12" cab and a 2 15" cab

• Members

I always thought the D140 was a bass speaker and the D130 was more guitar-friendly.

As I mentioned, Doc Morbius has a Silverface Vibrosonic with a D130 and usually when I'm over there, if I didn't take an amp, I'll play through the Vibrosonic he'll play through a NMV Silverface Twin with two Alnico Weber Californias which are D120F knockoffs.

It then the speakers sound pretty similar with the 12s moving more air and sounding less strained which is exactly what one would realistically expect. I like that the single 15 gets a bit more breakup which, again, is expected. The Twin with the Californias simply does not break up.

• Members

im probably going to build the cabinet for the speakers..... what material would you suggest... ?

White pine for the sides in 1" (actually 3/4") and 5/8" baltic birch ply for the baffle and back. Or just use the plywood for the whole thing. I like the pine for the sides because it's easier for me to do dovetail joints.

If you're doing cleat construction just use the plywood and get a piece of 1x1 spruce, fir or any other cheap lumber to make the cleats.

Archived