What's Up With Washburn Lately?

fiveoclockhero

• Members

I just took a look at their website and I remember now that the VP said they were not dropping the Idol, but changing it over to a more traditional LP shape. I bought this jazz box from the guy. He told me the guitar was pretty much a prototype and was never produced in numbers. Model HB-155SM (Spalted Maple). I always liked the Washburn Wes Montgomery and this Idol shaped version was just too cool to pass up.

1040628.jpg 1040635.jpg 1040637.jpg

• Members

Never owned one but played a few HB35s and were def the semi to have for the price, better than Dots or Ibanez Artcores.

I also played a Cumberland Jumbo acoustic one time I thought was a good git for the money.

My buddy still owns an early 80s wing series electric, one of the lower priced ones, cost him around $200 back then w/a tweed HS case.

Still a rock solid git. 2 peice slab double cut hog body. Bolt on maple multi piece neck w/rosewood FB. Good HB pickups. Solid fixed bridge. These are def a find if you stumble across one.

• Members

I just took a look at their website and I remember now that the VP said they were not dropping the Idol, but changing it over to a more traditional LP shape. I bought this jazz box from the guy. He told me the guitar was pretty much a prototype and was never produced in numbers. Model HB-155SM (Spalted Maple). I always liked the Washburn Wes Montgomery and this Idol shaped version was just too cool to pass up.

1040628.jpg
1040635.jpg
1040637.jpg

Wow! That is hot!

I have a Washburn WI-64 Idol that I like a lot. Has that SG Vibe w/o the nasty nose dive some have.

• Members

Everyone I spoke to said these were pretty shitty bass guitars. I filed down the saddles, adjusted height and intonation, adjusted the truss rod and pickup height. Thing has perfect (low) action and sounds super, just what I needed, and after a little work, it sounds and plays perfectly, just what I needed for my best student.

Austinbass.jpg

he plays a mean maracca too.

Austinmaracas.jpg

• Members

Another casualty of a guitar company that just couldn't compete, either upper-end or lower end; they just never caught on.

Even as relatively successful as the Idol series was, I really can't think of one Washburn model, going back to the '70s, that was a huge hit, or would be considered as "iconic" or even "classic".

Cough... *Paul Stanley* Cough...

Archived