The Fender Japan Club

Macintoshmaster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love that! Is that a scalloped fret neck?

Yeah, I bought it on a whim, plus I got a great deal on it. Sold the pickups out of it, traded the neck for an unloaded Marshall 1922 cab and I'm refinishing the body to a Montery Pop Festival strat.

It was VERY scalloped:

DSC_4362a1.jpg

• Members

Just in case anyone is reading this for info about MIJ vs CIJ - it refers to the manufacturing partners. The first Fender Japan contract was with the Fuji-Gen Gakki (Fuji Stringed Instruments) company and those are labelled MIJ. In the 90s, manufacturing switched to Dyna Gakki and Tokai Gakki. Those instruments are labelled CIJ and there are differences like pots, shielding, etc but the overall quality is essentially the same. More recently Fuji-Gen Gakki have been producing again so there are 2008-2010 Japanese Fenders with MIJ on them again. These all have T serial numbers and the font used is somewhat bolder than the pre-90s ones.

Lastly - the Fender website is a bit misleading about some of the FJ serial numbers. Most of the info about letter prefixes is correct, but if someone tells you a Telecaster with an A serial number is from 1985, make sure you get lots of additional evidence. Tele bridge plates with A serial numbers were used throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s, so for instance there are CIJ guitars with A serial numbers. Mostly, otherwise, the serial numbers are reliable for dates. Lastly, MIJs from the 1980s nearly always have a date written in pencil on the neck heel.

• Members

I've got two Japanese teles, a '52RI CIJ and a '62 Custom RI MIJ, both with updated electronics (Fralins and Lollars, respectively) and a MIJ Jazz Bass on which I put a Badass II bridge. They are all fine instruments but that '62 Custom is my baby. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd get rid of it.

• Members

Just in case anyone is reading this for info about MIJ vs CIJ - it refers to the manufacturing partners. The first Fender Japan contract was with the Fuji-Gen Gakki (Fuji Stringed Instruments) company and those are labelled MIJ. In the 90s, manufacturing switched to Dyna Gakki and Tokai Gakki. Those instruments are labelled CIJ and there are differences like pots, shielding, etc but the overall quality is essentially the same. More recently Fuji-Gen Gakki have been producing again so there are 2008-2010 Japanese Fenders with MIJ on them again. These all have T serial numbers and the font used is somewhat bolder than the pre-90s ones.

Lastly - the Fender website is a bit misleading about some of the FJ serial numbers. Most of the info about letter prefixes is correct, but if someone tells you a Telecaster with an A serial number is from 1985, make sure you get lots of additional evidence. Tele bridge plates with A serial numbers were used throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s, so for instance there are CIJ guitars with A serial numbers. Mostly, otherwise, the serial numbers are reliable for dates. Lastly, MIJs from the 1980s nearly always have a date written in pencil on the neck heel.

thankyou for explaining that, makes sense to me:thu:

• Members

More confused than ever now ... my JD Tele, bought in 1998, carries an anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock, has a 'MADE IN JAPAN' decal on the heel of the neck and the serial number etched into the ashtray bridgeplate is A055437. I've always assumed it was a 1996/7 model, but where it was built I still have no idea.

• Members

The A bridge plate number is used on warranty cards over here when there is no other number on the guitar, but it can not be used to date a Fender Japan telecaster. I am always careful about what to pass off as fact when it comes to Fender Japan, been surprised far too often to even pretend to think I know what they did. Lots of conflicting info on the web so I`ll wait until somebody who actually worked for the company writes a book on the subject, till then it`s always a bit of a risk sifting through everything that gets said about Fender Japan on the internet to get to the real facts.

The telecaster bought in `98 may have been sitting around for a couple of years by the time you got it, not that unusual...got my Buck Owens tele after it had been hanging in the local Rock Inn for a few years, I bought it once they put it on sale. In this Japanese city Fender Japan is not nearly as highly regarded as it is overseas, the new stuff just doesn`t seem to move from shops, the older models have been a little more popular but only after people overseas started showing an interest and THAT only after they woke up and discovered the early guitars can be great, doesn`t mean they all are but some are. Current FJs are built in at least 3 factories with another building basses according to the former manager at the Rock Inn shop, but he wouldn`t tell me which factories...corporate secrets and all that. So careful what you believe out there, theres a lot of stuff that just does not always match the Fender Japan guitars I own...and only one of those is CIJ, the rest are all older MIJs, my personal preference.

Archived