What Years Were the Scam Years for SRV Strats?

BG76

• Members

I dont know, maybe I'm odd on this. But theres no way I'd go on stage wearing a copy of a guitar with someone elses initials on it, especially someone dead I'll never jam with. I dont care how good the guitar is, I just consider it to be as corney as it gets. Always have. See a guy playing that with someone elses initials spells major looser to me. If it was an original, then I could see some reverence there, but a copy just spells corney to me.

I dont think I'd even be vain enough to wear my own initials on there unless it really had some benificial advertisement results. If I had WRG on there then it creates a curisoity factor that makes others remember your name. All you remember with a guy playing a guitar that has big SRV on there is someone elses name and zero recignition or your own. Its like being a ghost player especially since the guys dead. Signature series are cheap marketing used to suck more money for something thats worth alot less without the name recognition.

I get this vision like Its like the littel kid who just got his batman lunchbox. Holey smokes batman I got a SRV guitar. Good for you Robbin, You're a man now. Nothing stopping you from playing like that guy now..... Guess that appeals to some. Someone wants me to play they're instrument then they can sign me up for an endorsement deal and I'll take a cut of the profit.

I have no proplem playing a Leo Fender or a Les Paul because those guys were luthiers and deserve the recognition as a designer. I also have no problem signing my own complete builds. (not frankensteins)

So I guess I just dont get. As a kid, yea, kids want to "be somebody." As a pro performer, It spells out the guy playing one wants to be something he isnt and has no self esteem to be an artist in his own right. I dont know if anyone else views it that way.

Of course this has nothing to do with the original poster scoring a good guitar. I say thats fine and if its a better build then others then thats great. I just dont see many strats being worth much more than $300 new, no less used.

• Members

My friend had an SRV around that era and it smoked. Regardless of the wood used, it sounded freakin awesome and played like a dream. I'd be curious if anyone knew any actual facts on this because I don't trust what Ed Roman says about anything. It sounds plausible enough though, but it wouldn't effect my decision on a $300 dollar guitar that would either be a great player or an easy flip.

• Members

My friend had an SRV around that era and it smoked. Regardless of the wood used, it sounded freakin awesome and played like a dream. I'd be curious if anyone knew any actual facts on this because I don't trust what Ed Roman says about anything. It sounds plausible enough though, but it wouldn't effect my decision on a $300 dollar guitar that would either be a great player or an easy flip.

You can not trust him but he sent Fender into an apologetic tailspin when that happened. Why he doesn't have a huge rant about it is beyond me - probably because he's a Fender dealer :)

I ust want to make sure I DON'T screw someone and sell them a poplar guitar as alder.

I will probably just sell it as a SRV strat with all original parts and if someone asks say I don't know and offer them the serial.

• Members

I have a late 90s Am Dlx Strat and Am Dlx Jazz - both have a veneer top and back. That said - who cares.

As for $300 - I'd bet a pawn shop would give him more or even throw it on CL for $700 and it would sell in a day. I'd worry more about being scammed of it not being an SRV strat at all.

• Members

I bet nobody here could hear the tonal difference between poplar and alder. Crimeny. No evidence anywhere of this on the web but taking the say so of someone whose been

deceptive in the past makes me cautious.

fender used poplar alot, and used veneers to give a better paint finish. so the question iasnt whether they made guitars like this, but whether they lied about this particular model.

• Members

Well...google searching this.....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=636&q=SRV+alder+scam&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

brings up this thread number one. So I'm not really inclined to believe it based on that and one link to a seymour duncan forum with anecdotal post.

Do you have any real evidence BG? Does anybody?

• Members

I dont know, maybe I'm odd on this. But theres no way I'd go on stage wearing a copy of a guitar with someone elses initials on it, especially someone dead I'll never jam with. I dont care how good the guitar is, I just consider it to be as corney as it gets. Always have. See a guy playing that with someone elses initials spells major looser to me. If it was an original, then I could see some reverence there, but a copy just spells corney to me.

I dont think I'd even be vain enough to wear my own initials on there unless it really had some benificial advertisement results. If I had WRG on there then it creates a curisoity factor that makes others remember your name. All you remember with a guy playing a guitar that has big SRV on there is someone elses name and zero recignition or your own. Its like being a ghost player especially since the guys dead. Signature series are cheap marketing used to suck more money for something thats worth alot less without the name recognition.

I get this vision like Its like the littel kid who just got his batman lunchbox. Holey smokes batman I got a SRV guitar. Good for you Robbin, You're a man now. Nothing stopping you from playing like that guy now..... Guess that appeals to some. Someone wants me to play they're instrument then they can sign me up for an endorsement deal and I'll take a cut of the profit.

I have no proplem playing a Leo Fender or a Les Paul because those guys were luthiers and deserve the recognition as a designer. I also have no problem signing my own complete builds. (not frankensteins)

So I guess I just dont get. As a kid, yea, kids want to "be somebody." As a pro performer, It spells out the guy playing one wants to be something he isnt and has no self esteem to be an artist in his own right. I dont know if anyone else views it that way.

Of course this has nothing to do with the original poster scoring a good guitar. I say thats fine and if its a better build then others then thats great. I just dont see many strats being worth much more than $300 new, no less used.

So you wouldn't use a signature series guitar? Good for you.

I have a Stevie Ray Strat. I'm not a "littel kid". Nor do I wear spandex, call myself "Robbin" and say things like "holey smokes!"

Sure, SRV's music stands as a great inspiration to me. I play a lot of raunchy blues music, and I like to think I do it rather well. Of course, I don't sound as good as he did though.

I also play funk, classic rock, jazz and acoustic folk.

I wanted a vintage-style Strat with hot pickups. I got a good deal on and bought a used SRV. It's a much better guitar than a standard MIA.

As for "I just dont see many strats being worth much more than $300 new, no less used." :confused::facepalm:

• Members

I was under the impression that some old SRV's had Brazilian rosewood boards. It might even be possible that the neck is Brazilian and the body veneered poplar.

But if the seller is a CC over-extender, there's a good chance that he got it new in the last few years and all this is irrelevant. If it looks like a non-counterfeit, buy at $300.

Archived