Dirt Smackdown 2011 - Gimme Three

RufusFussbuster

• Members

I just bought a new OD pedal. While I wait impatiently for it to arrive, I've been reading a lot about the topic, dating from the infancy of the World Wide Web to present.

Please list (up to) your top three OD and/or distortion pedals as of right now. Feel free to throw in why they are on your list.

I know this has been done a squillion times, and I know there's an effects forum, but please humor me here, and now.

Thanks!

• Members

Top 3:

BBE Green Screamer - It's a Tubescreamer, but better.

MXR Distortion III - Great crunch tone, note clarity, and sustain.

Fulltone Plimsoul - Sweet OD/Distortion that cranks out high gain with good clarity.

Honorable mentions:

MI Audio Crunch Box

TubeWorks Real Tube (black and yellow one)

Maxon ROD 880

• Members

1. Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Because you can play essentially anything through it and sound awesome.

2. Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face
They're cantankerous, don't play nice with other pedals, and definitely aren't plug-and-play. Once you get them figured out though, nothing else sounds like one.

3. ProCo Rat
The original LM308-based pedal has a buzzsaw tone that doesn't sound thin and fizzy like other high gain pedals. I did the Reutz mod to mine, and when I play my bass through it, it sounds like the world is about to end.

• Members

1. 70's "Ram's Head" Big Muff Pi - ala Gilmour. I've yet to find a Muff that tops this one.

2. sib Varidrive - with a 12ax7 running hot and a very musical sounding EQ, this thing will make any amp sing.

3. Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - super versatile OD with boost that sounds great.

• Members
Behringer VT-999 upgraded with a Tungsol 12AX7
- impossible to beat for the price

Keely moded Boss Blues Driver- just freakin' BADASS

Keely Moded Boss DS-1-
:idk:
i just like it

Hey, I have a VT-999 that I got for cheap on CL. I like it, but it's capable of waay more hair than I normally use. I'm actually waiting for a 12AU7 to arrive to plunk in there. Gain factor ~20 :eek:, so that'll either tame it down, or kill it. :D

What about you, day crowd? You like dirt? Cause dirt likes you.

dirt.jpg

• Members
I don't know about 'of all time', but the only ones I ever used are a Barber Direct Drive, a Barber LTD SR and an OCD.

I have about five more that I've either rarely or never plugged in.

Shoot, I didn't really mean "of all time" - that was keyboard diarrhea. Editing for clarity...

Curious - how long have you had your top three? They were all top contenders in my latest OD purchase. Barber Burn Unit is on the way. :)

• Members

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 - adjustable TS808 tones with a great boost feature, fattens up both clean and dirty amps for leads especially

Fulltone OCD - great mid- to higher-gain pedal, sounds best with a slightly dirty amp, really heavy and chunky sounding

MXR Zakk Wylde - smoother boost pedal, a flatter, grittier OD than the TS808 with a more transparent top end, awesome for hitting a dirty amp

Two more I'd love to try would be an MI Audio Crunchbox (never got to use one but loved the clips) and the Barber Direct Drive.

Wasn't a Bad Monkey fan (too chunky, could never dial in the lows right, and the top end was a bit nasty), hated the DS-1 in any form (always sounded nasty and buzzy), can't stand the Rat (buzzy, nasty, fuzzy, just kills the tone IMO).

• Members

Shoot, I didn't really mean "of all time" - that was keyboard diarrhea. Editing for clarity...

Curious - how long have you had your top three? They were all top contenders in my latest OD purchase. Barber Burn Unit is on the way.
:)

I've had the OCD for about three years, the Direct Drive for over a year and the LTD is more recent. I use them for different things but if I could only keep on dirt pedal, it would be a very easy choice and it would be the Direct Drive.

Archived