Fender guitar colors and cars from the 1950s

jedistar

• Members

Virtually every color used by Fender in the 50's and on into the 60's was a car color. You think Leo was gonna have custom colors mixed? Hell no! He spec'ed wood, paint and anything else he could from things already available. Why? He was a business man and a good one (read cheap b@$t@*d). Early Fender amps used pine cabs due to cost. Early guitar woods, same damn thang. It wasn't because he was after the holy grail of toanz. Same with nitro lacquer and it's colors. If you think otherwise, you're a fool.

• Members

Inca silver doesn't look right on the guitar. It's normally has more gold in it's colour.

Thanks that is a modern Custom Shop I came across - it is a lot darker than the car that's for sure...I'll keep looking....

I'll pinch the Burgundy Mist pics if that is OK - had not heard of that one before...

• Members

I have owned Fenders in every color that I wanted, except Shell Pink.

I ordered my current waiting list guitar in Shell Pink, which is a special order, as the company does not normally do that color. But the sample I received back looked too brown, as an older color would get over time. So, I found a sample of the pink I wanted and that is how the guitar is going to be painted when manufacturing is done.

It actually looks softer and slightly more pink in a subtle way then the older, browner versions do.

• Members

Virtually every color used by Fender in the 50's and on into the 60's was a car color. You think Leo was gonna have custom colors mixed? Hell no! He spec'ed wood, paint and anything else he could from things already available. Why? He was a business man and a good one (read cheap b@$t@*d). Early Fender amps used pine cabs due to cost. Early guitar woods, same damn thang. It wasn't because he was after the holy grail of toanz. Same with nitro lacquer and it's colors. If you think otherwise, you're a fool.

That's just not logical. Just because he wasn't consciously looking for the best ingredients from a perspective of building great guitars doesn't mean he couldn't have hit on the right ingredients during the beginning. It is entirely possible that every change fender started to make from the early/mid 50's strats and teles was a continuous step downward. Culminating in the three bolt neck gooped on poly multi piece clunkers that CBS was making by the late 70's.

• Members

It is entirely possible that every change fender started to make from the early/mid 50's strats and teles was a continuous step downward. Culminating in the three bolt neck gooped on poly multi piece clunkers that CBS was making by the late 70's.

So then that trend continued on with G&L ?

Here is one of my "three bolt neck gooped on poly" examples.

img3.jpg

Nothing wrong with a three bolt neck at all .

Archived