Building my first guitar Ric-style

thick_mike

• Members

Having to cut the sides of the tenon because of my cock-up with the neck pocket. It's getting scary now...

P1010251.jpg

Not too bad, it'll need fettling to get it good and straight.

P1010254.jpg

Haven't cut the top of the tenon to the right depth because I haven't got my fretboard and pickups yet. There isn't an angle on the neck, so the tenon needs to be deep enough so that the strings clear the pickups.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In keeping with the frugal nature of this build...it's time to make a radius block.

My bridge has a 14" radius, so I taped a lightweight router to a piece of Ikea's finest chipboard and screwed it to my workbench 14" from the end of the bit. The I clamped a scaggy bit of 2x4 to the edge of the bench and swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...moved the wood up a bit...swung the router...you get the idea?

P1010259.jpg

P1010258.jpg

All done and it matches the bridge well:

P1010262.jpg

• Members

Lots of great work and creative problem solving! Outstanding!!!

I swear I can smell the wood while I read though this thread.

:thu:

I'm blowing it down my nose and picking it out of my ears! That red padauk fretboard dust gets everywhere.

I officially HATE sanding now :mad::mad:

• Members

I've heard of swimming-pool routes, but this is rediculous!

:lol:

It looks extreem, but the big hole is at the back of the guitar I'll put a cap on that later. The pickups are surface mounted toaster-style, so there's no routing needed on the front to fit them.

• Members

Cheers, that means a lot. Your builds and posts over the years have inspired me to have a go myself.
:thu:

Glad to hear it - for me that's the point of having build threads.

To see someone do it without the tools reminds me of when I started - just always check the clearance sections of Sears, Lowes, etc...

:)

• Members

Great work!! I built a copy of a Thinline Tele years ago. Yeah, routing the body was a bear.

Is this gonna be jetglo or mapleglow, and whatcha using for pickguard material? I think you ought to make two truss rod covers, one that says, "ACME."

Oh yeah, John Hall will be contacting you shortly. :eek:

• Members

Still fascinated by this thread.

And I agree that you are Macgyver.

Not sure that we ever got MacGyver over here in the UK. Everything I know about it comes from the Simpsons. By the way, this is my Simpsons character:

your_image.png

I'm a teacher and the kids at school reckon it's pretty accurate.

• Members

Glad to hear it - for me that's the point of having build threads.

To see someone do it without the tools reminds me of when I started - just always check the clearance sections of Sears, Lowes, etc...

:)

I got most of my tools from freecycle, most of the general wood and particleboard I have comes from the Ikea clearance section. Unfortunately they don't do tonewood (although this guy has had a good go)!

• Members

Great work!! I built a copy of a Thinline Tele years ago. Yeah, routing the body was a bear.

Is this gonna be jetglo or mapleglow, and whatcha using for pickguard material? I think you ought to make two truss rod covers, one that says, "ACME."

Oh yeah, John Hall will be contacting you shortly.
:eek:

The colour is the biggest decision I've still got to make, I'm mulling it over. Jetglo is the classic Lennon look, but I quite like the look of the grain. Maybe calling it Ashglo will keep John Hall's lawyers off my back? :cop:

Archived