Building my first guitar Ric-style

thick_mike

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So is it just going to be the 8 coats of tung oil or will there be another step to the final finish? How long do you have to wait in between coats?

It's the first time I've done a finish like this, so I'm just going by the book. I'm going to keep putting the coats on until it looks right, 24 hours between coats. I'll be scuffing the surface with 320 grit no-load paper every two coats or so.

That's the plan anyway, I guess it depends on the weather a bit. The tung oil cures by reaction with oxygen from the air. If it's cold, that reaction will be slower. The first couple of coats are let down by 20-30% with white spirits, so I'm doing that outside. The later coats shouldn't be so smelly, so I'll see if I can sneak it into the house. ;)

• Members

P1010370-1.jpg

Just another 7 coats to go...

The tung oil imparts such a warm organic glow to the wood.
One thing that always fascinates me are the wonderful surprises & variations that appear in the grain lines when shapes are cut into the wood, as in the bevel cut for the tailpiece.:cool::love:

• Members
It's the first time I've done a finish like this, so I'm just going by the book. I'm going to keep putting the coats on until it looks right, 24 hours between coats. I'll be scuffing the surface with 320 grit no-load paper every two coats or so.

That's the plan anyway, I guess it depends on the weather a bit. The tung oil cures by reaction with oxygen from the air. If it's cold, that reaction will be slower. The first couple of coats are let down by 20-30% with white spirits, so I'm doing that outside. The later coats shouldn't be so smelly, so I'll see if I can sneak it into the house.
;)

I can see why you have to wait 24 hours between coats if you're drinking 20-30% of those white spirits with every coat! Man, you should take it easy on that stuff.:)

bacardi_white_rum.jpg

• Members
The tung oil imparts such a warm organic glow to the wood.

One thing that always fascinates me are the wonderful surprises & variations that appear in the grain lines when shapes are cut into the wood, as in the bevel cut for the tailpiece.
:cool::love:

To be honest, I had always meant to paint this black (that's how I picture John's Capri), but when I saw that grain pattern in the bevel, I wanted to keep it.

• Members

Absolutely beautiful. I am really enjoying this thread. But a question: why the Capri, and not one of Lennon's later black guitars?

Jesse

Colour part answered above, hopefully.

Also, this was the first guitar I pictured John with. I didn't really know that much about his guitars, so when I found the build thread in the original post I thought, "that'll do!"

• Members
Looks great so far! That radius block idea is bloody brilliant.

Not sure that was my idea or whether I saw it somewhere else. I've been thinking about this for years and I forget where all the information comes from! :facepalm:

Dropped into your new build thread BTW...that's a huge hunk of walnut!!

• Members
:confused::confused::mad:

Tung oil finish doesn't seem to be curing very well at the moment. Not sure if it's the miserable weather or I'm trying to put too much on or what.

I'm using Liberon pure tung oil. It doesn't have any lacquer, mineral spirits or driers in, so I expected it to take a while to cure, but I left the second coat for three days in the kitchen and when I came to flat it slightly for the next coat it was sort of cheesy. It just rolled up and stuck to the no-load paper. It felt like I could just scrape it off with my fingernail.

Anyone got any experience/advice?

• Members
Did you leave a heavy coat on the guitar?

With the Behlen that I use, the instructions say, after rubbing the material into the wood, let it set for 15 minutes & wipe off the excess.

Yeah, I think I was a bit impatient, trying to get it on too fast. I am a very different animal to you Meandi!!!:):)

• Members
Well, sometimes mistakes can be our best teachers.

I hope my students think so!! :facepalm:

I always tell them that if they've never got something wrong, they've never learned anything.

Put another coat of oil on tonight. That's 5 so far. It's going slowly as I'm in the middle of mid unit tests and marking at work. November isn't a good month in schools (not as good as August for example :thu:).

Please keep up the nagging BTW...:)

• Members
Not sure that was my idea or whether I saw it somewhere else. I've been thinking about this for years and I forget where all the information comes from!
:facepalm:

Dropped into your new build thread BTW...that's a huge hunk of walnut!!

Yep, it was a big one. Fairly friendly to work with, though. It'll be nice to get all of the details ironed out on that one.

Good luck with the rest of the tung oil. It may take a while to do, but it is a lovely feeling and lovely looking finish when it's all done.

Archived