How will this cut through the mix? (audio clip)

jr_vw2

• Members

Sounds OK by itself maybe but definitely needs mids to cut a mix, probably a bit too scooped around 600-800 Hz area. A bit boomy in the low end too I'd say but I don't do metal anymore so what do I know...

• Members

Yeah. When i get together with other players I don't usually get the time to tweak my amp. Do you think I could have a bad mic placement? It doesn't really sound that scooped in person. I can't seem to get my mic placement quite right. It either sounds too trebely or too bassy.

Any tips?

• Members

Yeah. When i get together with other players I don't usually get the time to tweak my amp. Do you think I could have a bad mic placement? It doesn't really sound that scooped in person. I can't seem to get my mic placement quite right. It either sounds too trebely or too bassy.

Any tips?

You should make the time to all set your levels and EQ proper.

• Members

Well here lately I have bees getting stuck with a bunch of idiots that really have no business bing in a band in the first time.

So I am usually going up against crappy playing and crappy amps. So trying to "fit" in a mix of crap really doesn't help me much. I search everyday for talented musicians on the same page that I am but until then I'm stuck in the bedroom.

Any tips on mic placement?

• Members

Well here lately I have bees getting stuck with a bunch of idiots that really have no business bing in a band in the first time.

So I am usually going up against crappy playing and crappy amps. So trying to "fit" in a mix of crap really doesn't help me much. I search everyday for talented musicians on the same page that I am but until then I'm stuck in the bedroom.

Any tips on mic placement?

What ix are you trying to cut through if you don't play with anyone?

• Members

What ix are you trying to cut through if you don't play with anyone?

Im trying to be productive with the time I have. I'm in search of a new band now and I would like to be able to hear myself when I show up for an audition or jam with someone.

• Members

Even by itself it sounds like you have too much bass. There's too much thump in the palm-muted parts making the non-muted parts quieter and thinner sounding. Even the heaviest of guitar sounds don't have the lows turned up as much as you might think. That might actually sit well if you turn the bass down, way down.

• Members

Agree with the Mr.'s Brown49 and sully. Depends on what else you have going on. Think about it like this, the goal isn't to cut through the mix, it's to sit well in the mix. The cymbals and the upper register vocals are already hanging out where all the treble information is and the bass and kick drum have things covered down low, so the logical place for the guitar is in the middle. Yes the vocals and the rest of the drum kit hang out there too, but they more or less take care of themselves as long as they're EQ'ed correctly. Turn down a rock recording to almost nothing and you'll usually still hear the snare and the vocal. Generally speaking, you have more leeway with a recording than you do in a live setting, due to recording being a closed loop environment with a lot fewer variables to deal with.

The suggestion to start with less gain is a good one. Start with everything flat (12:00) on the EQ and make small changes in between playing for a while with your band to let your ears adjust to everything. I usually cut EQ bands and maybe turn up the master a little to compensate. Maybe let the power section of your amp do some more of the heavy lifting especially if you're going to use a tube amp. Oh yeah and label me a tube snob, but I've always gotten the best results with tube amps sitting well in the mix, especially with heavier music. I'm not saying that solid state can't get there, it certainly can, but nice tube amps either cranked up in an iso-booth or live room, or moderately loud on a stage are usually more of a pleasure to work with. When recording, try adding in a room mic to add some dimension.

Archived