What would you do with this Gretsch solidbody?

FarToMany

• Members

I ended up with this is in a trade a few years back, as in another post, I have now fixed the neck/fret board seperation on it (the way I received it). So now here sits a naked Gretsh G5250 Special Jet. I had the idea of putting in another tone or volum pot (can't remember) so it unded up with 3 controls in it--thinking of filling them all and re-arranging them. I have the DeArmond pickups that were stock and purchased a chrome "G" tail piece for it, would install a tune-o-matic style bridge on it.

What I do have, are the original electronics, pickups, tailpiece, and of course the body/neck. Everything else was missing or damaged including all the plastics and thumb nail fret markers.

So here is the deal, I have a couple of ideas floating in my head on what to do with this, but want to throw it out there and say---If this was yours, as it sits in this bare project state, what would you do to refurbish this?

gretsch5250specialjet1.jpg

• Members

Thanks, I bet if you saw how thick the poly was on yours you'd freak. this one was full of nicks, bumps, and bruises. I really had no choice but to strip it to A) fix the neck right, and B) refinish nicer. I bet the poly on it was everybit of .060" thick---about 1.5mm

• Members

Why not reinstall the Dearmonds and wrap around, put it back stock?

Always an option too.

But the stock wrap around was pulling foward on the body---my guess is due to the soft mahogany wood. But it is still an option if someone can tell me how to fix that issue properly, as i do have all the stock pieces, minus the knobs and tuners.

• Members

Always an option too.

But the stock wrap around was pulling foward on the body---my guess is due to the soft mahogany wood. But it is still an option if someone can tell me how to fix that issue properly, as i do have all the stock pieces, minus the knobs and tuners.

Was there slop in the bushings? You'd have to plug and redrill.

• Members

Yes, bushings had alot of slop. But I am ok to modifying this guitar.

I didn't really want to turn the thread into how to fix this, but rather what would you do if it was yours?

Well I would restore it too stock, but maybe with a bigsby tailpiece.

• Members

Oh, I just realized when I said I had all the stock pieces, that I also forgot I do not have any of the plastics (pickgaurd, back cover, T/R cover---even the thumb nail fret markers are gone.

What I do have, are the original electronics, pickups, tailpiece, and of course the body/neck. Everything else was missing or damaged. Thus my inkling to modify it.

• Members

If you go with a Bigs, wouldn't you need to plug the wrap holes and relocate them? sSeems like a t.o.m. type has narrower post spacing. I'd plug the existing holes with the same size dowel in maple. Redrill for the wrap bushings. That you'd never see. You may even be able to do a natural finish that way.

• Members

My only issue with a bigsby is I already already have two guitars with them. But IF I have to sell it down the road, that could be something that may make the sale---especially that a bunch of you suggested it.

I was thinking black finish, but am unsure. I want to keep the Gretsch vibe going though.

• Members

Thanks, I bet if you saw how thick the poly was on yours you'd freak. this one was full of nicks, bumps, and bruises. I really had no choice but to strip it to A) fix the neck right, and B) refinish nicer. I bet the poly on it was everybit of .060" thick---about 1.5mm

yikes

• Members

I'll tell ya what I was thinking.

Worn black finish (I don't think I could pull off a gloss black smooth finish), red pearl plastics, and chrome hardware.

Of course just thinking a black top finish, stain the sided and back---but there is no body binding on the top, so that may look goofy.

Whatcha think?

• Members

I'll tell ya what I was thinking.

Worn black finish (I don't think I could pull off a gloss black smooth finish), red pearl plastics, and chrome hardware.

Of course just thinking a black top finish, stain the sided and back---but there is no body binding on the top, so that may look goofy.

Whatcha think?

You could add binding if you really wanted. That would look pretty nice.

I'd look at this as an opportunity to make a gretsch style the way you really want it to look. The demolition is already done so you can rebuild with your own custom ideas.

• Members

Plug the current tailpiece holes, stain it black using classic ebonizing liquid (vinegar and steel wool....look it up), fretboard too, then Tru-oil it, put the 2000s back in, Bigsby B50 and roller bridge, plug it in and play, be happy

This might be a silly question, but how do you get rid of the vinegar smell?

Archived