Tonewood: analogies

Brainfertilizer

• Members

The
guitar pretty much proves the myth of tonewood:

"One of only a handful ever made, the Pallet guitar by Bob Taylor was originally conceived to prove to the world (and C. F. Martin) that a great guitar builder can build an outstanding instrument regardless of the wood used. To prove this, Bob Taylor went to the back of the Taylor factory and proceeded to tear apart a few of the shipping pallets on the ground, and built himself a guitar using the weathered oak, and pine (or whatever the soft wood is on pallets) that these things are made of. This original pallet guitar was tested by many industry experts including C. F. Martin, and all agreed that Bob Taylor made his point."

It might sound good, but it doesn't answer the question would it sound different if it were made from a different type of wood?

• Members

It might sound good, but it doesn't answer the question
would it sound different if it were made from a different type of wood?

Is that the question? I couldn't tell.

You are asking if the object makes a difference, but I thought the OP was asking if the subject would notice the difference.

• Members

Is that the question? I couldn't tell.

You are asking if the
object
makes a difference, but I thought the OP was asking if the
subject
would notice the difference.

Would the subject notice if the object was a different wood?

Good question.

• Moderators

The
Taylor Pallet
guitar pretty much proves the myth of tonewood:

"One of only a handful ever made, the Pallet guitar by Bob Taylor was originally conceived to prove to the world (and C. F. Martin) that a great guitar builder can build an outstanding instrument regardless of the wood used. To prove this, Bob Taylor went to the back of the Taylor factory and proceeded to tear apart a few of the shipping pallets on the ground, and built himself a guitar using the weathered oak, and pine (or whatever the soft wood is on pallets) that these things are made of. This original pallet guitar was tested by many industry experts including C. F. Martin, and all agreed that Bob Taylor made his point."

I notice he uses a very nice top, ebony fretboard, and ebony bridge and only the sides and back seem shabby?

This proves that tonewood is only important with electric guitars:thu: and only if the player/builder/owner thinks it does.

All other opinions are like barbed wire, grey

• Members

I notice he uses a very nice top, ebony fretboard, and ebony bridge and only the sides and back seem shabby?

According to the link, the top came from a 2x4. No mention of the fingerboard and bridge, but they do look like ebony. Who knows, though? Maybe they came from a 2x4 also, and were just finished that way?

• Members

He has some rather choice 2x4s then:)

Agreed. The top grain does look really nice. The finish helps, I'm sure. But maybe that was the point - he used a piece of junk wood to make something that looks just like a cedar top.

Archived