Tonewood: analogies

Brainfertilizer

• Members

1) Do you have synesthesia? If not, does it exist?

2) Let's say I put 16 different shades of blue on this screen. If you cannot name all 16 shades of blue correctly, does that mean there is no difference between shades of blue?

3) If you put a blindfold on and I give you one chunk of 6 different kinds of apple and you can't identify more than 1 by taste alone, does that mean there is no difference between different types of apples?

4) If someone doesn't like US because all their songs sound the same, are they wrong?

5) If you are excited about playing and it makes you play better, does it matter if the audience doesn't have any clue of why are more inspired?

• Members

6) If a cork sniffer bitches, do I care?

:lol:

For the OP - So... You're trying to say that even though the differences between various tonewoods are undetectable due to outside factors, that doesn't change the fact that there are some inherent differences? Sure, I'll agree. If I'm reading your analogies correctly, then you agree with my assertion that it doesn't matter if your guitar is made out of alder or ash, because once the band starts playing, you can't tell the difference. Even though you can sort if tell the difference when you're playing at home.

Kind of a confusing way to make your point, though.

• Members

:lol:

For the OP - So... You're trying to say that even though the differences between various tonewoods are undetectable due to outside factors, that doesn't change the fact that there are
some
inherent differences? Sure, I'll agree. If I'm reading your analogies correctly, then you agree with my assertion that it doesn't matter if your guitar is made out of alder or ash, because once the band starts playing, you can't tell the difference. Even though you can
sort if
tell the difference when you're playing at home.

Kind of a confusing way to make your point, though.

Is it truly undetectable, or just undetectable to you?

• Members

Hey dude, I'll pick up a guitar right now, and record a clip of me playing some open chords and then a couple of scales. Single coil pickup, no effects, pretty common tonewood. Will you be able to correctly identify the wood down to two or three choices?

• Members

Well, if you can find someone who can tell the difference between an ash body and an alder body on two different Strats with the same pickups, while a bassist, drummer, rhythm guitarist, and lead singer are all going, then I'll say I'm alone in considering it undetectable, due to outside factors.

Is this not what you're saying with your little riddles? BTW - If you're some philosophy major doing an experiment on an internet message board, I'm out.

• Members

Hey dude, I'll pick up a guitar right now, and record a clip of me playing some open chords and then a couple of scales. Single coil pickup, no effects, pretty common tonewood. Will you be able to correctly identify the wood down to two or three choices?

He might if he reads your sig... :poke:

• Members

3) If you put a blindfold on and I give you one chunk of 6 different kinds of apple and you can't identify more than 1 by taste alone, does that mean there is no difference between different types of apples?

i wouldn't eat the apple... i'm blindfolded for crying out loud... you could give me a bit with a worm in it... no way am i eating the apple

carry on

• Members

If a man is talking and there's no woman around to hear is he still wrong?

/thread

but well done Brain fertilizer. You did exercise some minds.

I like the story about Monet (I think) who painted the same scene repeatedly during his life but used different colour ranges as his cataracts worsened. The final versions are quite alarming. Interesting to see how his perception of colour changed but there is still the mystery of what I see and what you see.....you call it blue and so do I....but what do you actually see that you have named blue?

• Members

Is it truly undetectable, or just undetectable to you?

Whether someone can hear, and feel the difference between different types of wood, both at home, and in a band mix is a matter of individual abilities to percieve these differences. The differences are still there, even to the untrained ear.

Some don't hear or feel it, some do.

While it may be undetectible in a live playing situation to listeners, it still affects the way the actual guitar sounds and feels coming through the amp to the player. If I'm listening, I don't care what the wood on the guitar is, only what it sounds like. But, if I am the players, I do care what the wood is, as it changes the sound and feel of the guitar I am playing.

• Members

The Taylor Pallet guitar pretty much proves the myth of tonewood:

"One of only a handful ever made, the Pallet guitar by Bob Taylor was originally conceived to prove to the world (and C. F. Martin) that a great guitar builder can build an outstanding instrument regardless of the wood used. To prove this, Bob Taylor went to the back of the Taylor factory and proceeded to tear apart a few of the shipping pallets on the ground, and built himself a guitar using the weathered oak, and pine (or whatever the soft wood is on pallets) that these things are made of. This original pallet guitar was tested by many industry experts including C. F. Martin, and all agreed that Bob Taylor made his point."

9265bc4f9e56f628c5b6ae4a96610ac7.jpg

f949e66988886455d55237d04c885c9b.jpg

• Members

The
guitar pretty much proves the myth of tonewood:

"One of only a handful ever made, the Pallet guitar by Bob Taylor was originally conceived to prove to the world (and C. F. Martin) that a great guitar builder can build an outstanding instrument regardless of the wood used. To prove this, Bob Taylor went to the back of the Taylor factory and proceeded to tear apart a few of the shipping pallets on the ground, and built himself a guitar using the weathered oak, and pine (or whatever the soft wood is on pallets) that these things are made of. This original pallet guitar was tested by many industry experts including C. F. Martin, and all agreed that Bob Taylor made his point."

Aaaaaaand that is very very interesting. I would like to hear that thing in person. The forklift inlay is hilariousl

• Members

Aaaaaaand that is very very interesting. I would like to hear that thing in person. The forklift inlay is hilariousl

Cool guitar and story!

I'd guess Mr. Taylor knows what he's taking about when it comes to wood. I'm sure the tone wood guys will ignore this... just like they ignore whatever is inconvenient to them whenever this this never ending topic comes.

I'd imagine they're looking for some more scientific "facts" to post now and will be pulling a new wood "expert" out of their ass any second.

Archived