New Studio Website

KB Gunn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:)Hey Ken,

Thanks for the great input and suggestions. I need to correct the typos you pointed out and I think your idea about stating what I said here is brilliant and much appreciated.

Also, Einstein, would you please post a link to your iTunes offerings. I am sure I would enjoy the Classical music that you provide. Are you the performer, the engineer or both? Based on the previous posts, it sounds like you have been doing this for quite a while and we are probably in the same generation.:)

• Members

Well geeze, you folks can call me a dick, but it isn't going to make that website any better.

I'll tell you what: to atone for my terseness earlier, I'll take a break from the site that I am working on for one of my paying clients and give you a run down of what I would change if I were trying to actually attract clients instead of just fart around with a website to make me feel a bit better about my hobby.

FWIW, if you really want to improve the site:

get rid of any mention of equipment, other than the fact you have it available, unless it is actual nice stuff-- it isn't a selling point for your market segment.

focus on your bio and experience, which is what you are selling and which seems to be your strong point.

Get a real domain name with your location in the actual name, as this will set up you to actually get traffic from places other than direct referrals.

Link that domain name to a physical location on google places, as this will allow you to actually show up in a search of your area for things like "recording services".

Don't center the freaking content on your portfolio page: it looks bad and is hard to read. Cut down the number of examples to a few very clear examples, and give 3-500 word describing your involvement with the production and as much production detail as possible. Also, no one cares that the page can't be played on iPhone because you're using a flash-based player, so get that crap out of there and replace it with something useful. Preferably not set in the heading style, so that people know they are getting content and not an extended headline.

Spend $15 on bigstock and get some professional images for your headers: once again, your selling point is not that you have some equipment but that you are (ostensibly) a professional.

If you are wanting to help out service people, create another page for that specifically-- the content on your home page in general should be broken up into these areas and have their own pages, but that is especially ancillary to your landing page.

And to reiterate, all of those things work together to make it look like you are not a professional, and are, in fact just farting around with recording.

Finally, as far as who buys mobile recording, if you really think that you need to tell someone visiting your site that you don't do hiphop and/or death metal, you should really reconsider if your site-- I can guarantee that one look at it and you won't have to worry about hip-hop dudes calling you.

I do mobile recording, though only infrequently. In my case, the people who really find my setup useful are high-school and college students who need real recordings for audition tapes. You should strongly consider this as the main market for what you are doing. It is usually pleasant and it is useful to the people involved.

I can tell you from experience that this segment does not give a damn about your equipment (I've made quite a few nice recordings with just a stereo pair and CD recorder)-- they want you to have the authority to say "this is the right way to record your music".

Your site undercuts your authority to say that in many ways, and calling me a dick won't fix that. A site that at best does little good and at worst harms your reputation is a bad idea. You'd be better off with a facebook page and agoogle places account, IMO.

• Members
Oh... I wasn't talking about
you...
:)

Nice job running down how he could improve. That's a lot of good info.

Yes I agree. Thank you Bob for the excellent info and critique. I sincerely appreciate it. You obviously know your stuff about web design. Actually, the website design itself was not my focus when I started this topic (obviously:facepalm:). But your excellent advice, as well as Einstein's, has made me very aware of the obvious flaws in design. Franky, it never dawned on me how flawed it is. I am in the process of dealing with it in the next few days. Again thanks.

KB

:wave:

• Members
Also, Einstein, would you please post a link to your iTunes offerings. I am sure I would enjoy the Classical music that you provide. Are you the performer, the engineer or both?

No iTunes installed. We recorded music for all majors and about 60 smaller labels. Total about 15.000 classical tracks (about 1600 classical albums), the rest is pop music, all in all 44.172 tracks. I was the producer and co-owner of the record company. In 2005 we sold all licences to a digital distributor.

Here a few of the classical albums. I'm sure you will find them online in thousands of online shops:

http://www.amazon.de/Tchaikovsky-Symphony-6-1812-Overture/dp/B00003Q5G9/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277323&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.de/Klavierkonzert-Nr-1-2/dp/B00004TVQB/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277443&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.de/Vespern-Liturgie-Opus-31-Borodina/dp/B0000ARNF9/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277471&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.de/Glory-Be-God-Dmitri-Bortnyansky/dp/B00003Q00G/ref=sr_1_16?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277073&sr=1-16

http://www.amazon.de/Klavierkonzert-Nr-1-2/dp/B00004TVQB/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277163&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-6-7-d-Kakhidze/dp/B00005TO5R/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277136&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.de/Archaica-Modern-Georgian-Choir-Music/dp/B00000DSML/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318276855&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.de/Vespers-Liturgy-St-John-Chrysostom/dp/B00000DSLW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277001&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.de/Symphonie-No-3-Coriolan/dp/B00004TVNX/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277178&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-Light-Sorrows-d-Kakhidze/dp/B00005V4OZ/ref=sr_1_12?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277200&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.de/Carmina-Burana-Givi-Mundishvili/dp/B000JJ4Q0C/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318277254&sr=1-13

This one is excellent, this music was never recorded before:

http://www.amazon.de/Glory-Lege-Artis-Chamber-Choir/dp/B00004TVNB/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1318276968&sr=1-2

• Members

Good points. Of course, I would offer the same to all members of the armed forces. Here at Camp Lejeune, it is mostly Navy and Marines.

I was somewhat kidding, but I appreciate the sentiment. Therefore, here's some help I can offer. Your writing is not so good. Rather than point out mistakes, it's quicker for me to rewrite:

Welcome!

I am always happy to get a visit from old friends and new ones alike.

We are a state of the art studio that can record up to 24 audio tracks simultaneously, and the expertise to know how to use it to produce the recording you deserve. We can record on location or in the studio, whichever works better for you.

Like many of you, I have a day job that doesn

• Members
I was somewhat kidding, but I appreciate the sentiment. Therefore, here's some help I can offer. Your writing is not so good. Rather than point out mistakes, it's quicker for me to rewrite:

Also:

Consider "and their dependents" after "active duty military personnel" to extend discounts to families.

In the title, change "Professional 24 Track Audio Recording on location...." to "Professional 24 Track Audio Recording" (remove "on location" - you already said it, and the "...")

Well, I must say that you do indeed have an excellent way with words. Do you mind if I quote you verbatim? I will have to leave out the in the studio wording because I don't have a tracking room. IOW, I have no choice but to record on location. :)

Also, in my original text, I included dependents and for some reason I deleted it. I agree that it would be nice to offer this for spouses and children of service people.

• Members

If we are discussing the site. The pages load quite slow. Also some of the thumbnails dont have a previous button. And on a lighter note. All DAW's digital summing sound the same. To say Presonus Studio One sounds better is not true. The only thing that may change from DAW to DAW is the panning laws used. Let the "DAW Sound" discussion begin. :) PS, There are tons of web hosting sites with lighning fast load and unlimited visits (bandwidth/usage) for under $100 a year !!! But do fix the thumbnail issues. I had no way of going to the previous page and had to close the site and re-visit it.

• Members

Here in Switzerland KB Gunn website fully displays in 2 second. Not slow at all.

I think they were doing maintenance at Yola when that was happening. I was up early this morning and it was a problem but it seems ok now.

• Members
Do you mind if I quote you verbatim? I will have to leave out the in the studio wording because I don't have a tracking room. IOW, I have no choice but to record on location.

No problem.

Here... cleaned up a bit:

Welcome!

I am always happy to get a visit from old friends and new ones alike.

We are a state of the art mobile studio that can record up to 24 audio tracks simultaneously, with the expertise to know how to use it to produce the recording you deserve.

Like many of you, I have a day job that doesn

• Members

I think they were doing maintenance at Yola when that was happening. I was up early this morning and it was a problem but it seems ok now.

It's responding in under a second, right at this moment. I don't think people start tapping their foot and whistling until about 1400 ms or so. :D

• Members

Response matters to some folks (though obviously not here).

If you really care about this stuff, I spend a good chunk of yesterday working on a page for these folks who do dedicated WP hosting (no link because I don't want to f- their analytics ;) )

Just think -only- 49/mo for wordpress hosting.

:D

Seriously, though, if your stuff is getting real attention, it is worth it. For the kinds of stuff that most of us are involved with, mebbe not so important. My personal site could be down for a hours and I'd never notice, unless email was down, too.

• Members

Response matters to some folks (though obviously not here).

If you really care about this stuff, I spend a good chunk of yesterday working on a page for these folks who do dedicated WP hosting (no link because I don't want to f- their analytics
;)
)

Just think -only- 49/mo for wordpress hosting.

:D

Seriously, though, if your stuff is getting real attention, it is worth it. For the kinds of stuff that most of us are involved with, mebbe not so important. My personal site could be down for a hours and I'd never notice, unless email was down, too.

You can use tools like Integrio Uptime Scout (shareware) to keep an eye on your server performance. http://www.integrio.net/server-monitoring/uptime-scout.html

I was having trouble with a contracted provider. Push came to shove when I was sitting there looking at site not found error for a couple hours, while reading an email from the head of their customer support claiming the server hadn't been down in months. Their nameservers.

Not only did Uptime Scout enable me to document the downtime, more importantly, it brought home that performance on their servers was consistently quite slow. Meanwhile, I started monitoring a couple of sites on the (admittedly more expensive) alternative I was considering. No contest. From 2-4 times faster on database serves and 5-10 times faster on static pages. I moved the site. It was complex and it wasn't fun, but it was worth the effort to leave those chumps behind.

On that $49/mo... I think a lot of us who have low volume sites on shared hosting can lose track of what it can take to support a sudden rush of traffic -- like from mention in the national media. And shared hosting companies can be pretty ruthless about shutting you down for 'excess traffic' in order to protect their other customers.

That's part of the appeal of cloud service provision, kind of the ultimate shared hosting, in a sense.

But, actually, that bum hosting company I mentioned above moved to cloud hosting during the time I was making my decision. At first I was all, ooh, it's in the cloud -- it'll expand to handle any sudden increases in my traffic... best of all worlds... But, then, I saw that speed performance was no better and dependability seemed only marginally better... they were still having outs. I figured, OK, it's a new system for them, etc -- but the chumps had no monthly payment option, it was a year or nothing. Nothing it was. I'm not in the slightest bit sorry.

Still, the promise of cloud service provision for hosting is certainly appealing...

One thing that Wordpress administrators on shared hosting can do to cut down on server load is to use aggressive caching that effectively turns pages normally fed from the database into static pages. It can also cut page loads down from seconds to a few hundred milliseconds (on the right host).

• Members

Are you crazy.

Churches, Police and Military at least the double. Maybe the Churches additionally an absolution, and the Police a deletion of all traffic violation .

I would charge The Police at least 10 times more. I think Sting can afford it. Did they get back together again? They'll be watching me....

Archived